Start by marking “The Little Big Things: 163 Ways to Pursue EXCELLENCE” as Want to Read:
The Little Big Things: 163 Ways to Pursue EXCELLENCE

The Little Big Things: 163 Ways to Pursue EXCELLENCE

"It is [Tom] Peters—as consultant, writer, columnist, seminar lecturer, and stage performer—whose energy, style, influence, and ideas have [most] shaped new management thinking.” —Movers and Shakers: The 100 Most Influential Figures in Modern Business

“We live in a Tom Peters world.” —Fortune Magazine

Business uber-guru Tom Peters is back with his first book in a decade, T
Published March 9th 2010 by Harper Business (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Big Things, please sign up.
Philippe I read this book in english and im french, I think you can do it !
…more
I read this book in english and im french, I think you can do it !
(less)

Start your review of The Little Big Things: 163 Ways to Pursue EXCELLENCE
Amy
I would recommend this book for the snark alone. However, I don't need to because it also contains tons of great advice, interesting stories, and good points. The audio book was excellent; I did not want to put it down.
Tom Peters used his blog posts as the foundation of the book and the upside is that the work contains lots of profound thoughts that are not dragged out. They get straight to the point and if he ever gets repetitive, he has the grace to recognize it.
A few pop shots at books like
Finja
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: digital
Was on a business flight when the person next to me recommended this. I wish every employer would give their staff such a book for christmas, so inspiring. Having read this, you definetely gain a fresh, new perspective regarding your (office) job. Read on a kindle, saved so many quotes...
Teodora
May 16, 2021 added it
Shelves: non-fiction
What I really enjoyed about this book is that it gives sweet and short Little Big things in a way that speaks even to people who are not CEOs or managers. I found only a few chapters to be repeating (they give a summary of the whole book) and only a couple of chapters that were focused on business (and at this point, those were not that interesting to me).

It's a great read for in-between meetings or to take breaks from your workday. That's how I read it and felt it gave me inspiration and energ
Donna
Aug 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book basically started with Tom Peters' blog. There are 163 short (2-3 pages) on a topic - all things that are "little" or basic when looked at individually, but can have a big impact. The Little Big Things is another way of saying "major in the minor".

Some of my favorite topics were: #22 - Job One - Amuse Yourself, 32 - Thoughtfulness is Free (or close Thereto), 50 - Show Up! (It's a Start), 54 - At Their Service, 58 - "What Do You Think? (the 4 most important words in managemnet), 63 - "S
Aaron Ellsworth
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This caught my eye when I was at the library, so this is my first exposure to Tom Peters. I can hardly put it down because I find the authors passion for excellence and taking good care of everyone, infectious, compelling and contagious! I love how that passion turns into repeated sentences and big bolded phrases. A dry dusty business school manual this is not.
My favorite bit so far is the section where he talks about every team needing 3 types of leaders: the visionary, the networker, and the m
Cliff
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you don't get Tom Peters then you are most likely part of the problem. Peters wants change and he wants it now -- not after a study or a report, he wants people to actively do stuff to make organizations better. I wish Peters ran an airline -- I would immediately book a flight to anywhere, for no reason other than it was Tom Peters Airlines.

He also wants us to be better: more engaged, making eye contact and listening -- there's not enough listening. He sites how the average doctor cuts off a
Tara Brabazon
May 24, 2021 rated it it was ok
Blogs rarely make great books. They can summon a slice of insight. This book is founded in blogs and it shows. There are no large, well researched, complex ideas here. There are some useful sentences in this 508 page book, particularly with regard to communication. The book was written in the shadow of the Global Financial Crisis, and the strain of this tough time is evident.

Interesting book. Not magnificent. Solid. Useful.
Micah Grant
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
Great advice, way too many acronyms. My favorites are focusing on excellence and planning time to spend on improving relationships.
Robby Grabow
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Tom Peters emphasizes the small things that actually make all the difference in achieving excellence and are often overlooked.

While there are some great nuggets included, the general content derived from his previous blog posts result in a work that is disjointed and extremely repetitive. If it would have been edited down to about half the size, I would have given this 4.5 stars as I'm a general fan of Peters and his zest for excellence.

Concepts that resonated with me included:

Main thesis of the
Kapil
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
At some point I read a lot of Tom Peters readings - his books, the blog and even the presentations he shared online. Honestly a lot was never understood but I kept the focus and kept reading. Over a period of time his points started making sense. As I grew up the corporate ladder, notes from his books would come back and make sense.

This book a collection of 165 well written notes is an excellent resource to have on the office table and read it during the much needed work breaks. Every point mak
Jon Nikrich
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tom Peters was the final speaker at a conference I attended. He was the perfect end to a very long day. He abandoned the podium, wandered the room, shared (and occasionally shouted) his points to a weary audience. I loved it.
This book is not a typical business book. It is the literary equivalent of watching Tom wander around a hall yelling at people. And I like what's he's yelling.
Nick
Apr 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book is like watching one of Tom Peters' rants -- it's a collection of good (little) ideas, one after another, with no plot, just a ton of stuff that's obvious once he says it and that we all should be doing to make business better. ...more
Mike Nieva
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An interesting book that gives a new way to think in management, business, and leadership. At least, every manager should read it.
Rick Yvanovich
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The little things always have big impact
Kris
Aug 03, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
To read as an audiobook.
Read Amy's 5-star review of The Little Big Things: 163 Ways to Pursue EXCELLENCE by Tom Peters
Scott Wozniak
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
He explains at the beginning that this isn’t a typical book. It’s a series of examples and rants on excellence and how the little things make a big difference. So start with clear expectations. But despite the variety of situations he covers, the underlying idea comes out strong: excellence has more to do with diligence in the little things than fancy strategies.

This is a book for the 90% of “regular” business. And it’s an amazing book.

Heads Up: He cusses all book long. He does so with panache
Pearl
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Definitely not a light bedtime read. It's definitely geared towards top management, and though each one of us should strive for excellence in all we do, the examples he gives are all sales related or product-driven. Not one I find particularly useful - if your natural bent is to do the bare minimum, and nothing else matters beyond your paycheck, no amount of training can get the information from the head to the heart. Conversely, if you naturally have a leaning towards giving your best in whatev ...more
Venkatesh-Prasad
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This not a "traditional" book as it is a collection of blog posts about various aspects of work and to some extent personal living that is all focused on pursuing excellence. The book captures a lot of common knowledge that is often scattered and delivers it in accessible bite-size chunks. I sure learned some new viewpoints :) While I enjoyed the book, I thought the book could have been way shorter and more punchy; may be, it was all the emphasis which did not pack a punch.

In comparison, I liked
Kevin Wrathall
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really liked this book, although it got a bit overwhelming by the end. Would take many lifetimes to get close to mastering much of this but that might be the point.

Tom Peters manages to be both practical and outside the box at the same time, and with 40+ years of experience, has a wealth of real world wisdom.

I listened to the audio book, and felt that hearing the author read it brought it alive with his passion.
Donna
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is nonfiction-self help, especially if you have your own business. I liked this, but what I found profoundly sad, is that people need to be told these things. Most of this is basic common sense. He has some great quotable quotes though. I struggled with the constant repetition. The audio seemed to amplify that, so 3 stars.

Peter P.
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Packed with great insights from the original management guru, Tom Peters. The only reason I did not give it a 5-Star rating was I just found the format was not conducive to ease of reading. The book, as it is laid out, lends itself more to reading bites. I also did not care for the crazy font set-up. As to the content, pure Peters and immensely helpful.
Andrew Thompson-Davies
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. The ideas are mostly straightforward, simple even. But Tom explains then wonderfully, and makes them real. I found reading the book invigorating and affirming. It is challenging me to be better, excellent even, every day.
It's also making me think hard about what I should be achieving with my life, and how I should be living it.
Justin Blount
Apr 28, 2021 rated it it was ok
This book is most fitting for average middle managers and top managers looking to improve. There is some good information but it takes a lot of wading through to get to. Also, the author’s voice and tone in the audiobook is uninspiring. I’d rather have stopped this book midway and started another - will not revisit.
Jorge
Dec 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately the spanish edition from Grupo Norma ISBN-13 : 978-9584528209 is inaccurate for coloquial terms at Mexico dated on 2010. A good for thinking on management paradoxes but focused on a director organizational level - at least on a manager covering no less than seven associates.
Vinayak Joshi
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, business
Some good ideas, some obvious. On the whole worth reading at least once.
Kathy
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easy read with a lot of great tips
Phil Topping
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. The style of writing was brilliant and really worked for me.

Sweat the little things, pursue excellence and work damn hard.

Love it.

Jason Galloway
Jan 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a hard one to sit down and read through. It is a compilation of random thoughts that are...pretty disorganized. There are a few jewels, just hard to catalogue and get through.
Sean Keet
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Always excellent and inspiring, everything Tom does is excellent!
Todd Sattersten
Jun 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
When 800-CEO-READ took over the stewardship of ChangeThis, our first order of business was to boost the profile of the site and we immediately contacted Tom Peters to see if he would contribute a new manifesto.

Tom had been working on a series of blog posts under the 100 Ways to Succeed banner and in 2005 we published the first 50 tips in a compilation manifesto and published the next 50 in a 2008 manifesto.

Tom kept writing, topping out at 176 tips, when Harper Studio contacted him about taking t
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Swordless Samurai: Pemimpin Legendaris Jepang Abad XVI
  • Entrepreneur Revolution: How to Develop Your Entrepreneurial Mindset and Start a Business That Works
  • Powerful: Building a Culture of Freedom and Responsibility
  • How Life Imitates Chess: Making the Right Moves, from the Board to the Boardroom
  • Karmic Management: The Secret Laws of Karma that will Create Success in All Aspects of Your Life
  • Еда для радости. Записки диетолога
  • ХОЧУ — MОГУ — НАДО. УЗНАЙ СЕБЯ И ДЕЙСТВУЙ!
  • Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World
  • Play Ukulele Today!: Level 1- A Complete Guide to the Basics-Tutor Music Book with Cd
  • 21 Songs in 6 Days: Learn to Play Ukulele the Easy Way: Book + Online Video (Beginning Ukulele Songs 1)
  • Wilderness, The Gateway To The Soul: Spiritual Enlightenment Through Wilderness
  • A Field Guide to Lies: Critical Thinking in the Information Age
  • Freud: Mutluluğun Mimarı
  • 11/22/63
  • Тени тевтонов
  • How to Get Rich (without getting lucky): Naval Ravikant's famous Tweetstorm in a book format
  • CLIP TRANSURFING - The principles of reality management
  • Linchpin: Are You Indispensable?
See top shelves…
Born in Baltimore in 1942 "with a lacrosse stick in one hand and oars over my shoulder," Peters resided in California, mainly Silicon Valley (where he was on a list of "100 most powerful people in Silicon Valley"), from 1965–2000. Today, Peters and his wife Susan Sargent live on a 1,600-acre working farm, "always under construction," in Vermont. His two stepsons, Max and Ben Cooper, are "busy chan ...more