Start by marking “Psoas Book” as Want to Read:
Psoas Book

Psoas Book

The Psoas Book is a comprehensive guide to the Iliopsoas muscle and its profound influence on the body, mind, and emotions. Easy to read, The Psoas Book focuses on the psoas (so-as), the core muscle of the human body, and is an essential read for anyone interested in health, wellness, and movement.The Psoas Book is a great resource for the layperson and offers simple self- ...more
Published December 31st 1998 by Atlantic Books (first published May 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Psoas Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psoas Book

Michelle
Apr 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: yoga-philosophy
Liz Koch is considered the leading expert on the psoas muscle and her work is highly respected. I read favourable reviews on other websites regarding this text and since I am currently pursuing my yoga teacher training certification I felt it would be an excellent addition to my yoga collection. In addition, Liz Koch is a fellow scoliosis suffer and I was therefore hoping she shared some of her experiences with her condition. Unfortunately, I was left mostly disappointed.

This book is a good and
Maja Delak
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pedagogy
A rather informative book that gives some insight on various approaches to body work and on some specificity of physical activity. And psoas.
Foxthyme
Nov 29, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: health
After many years of wanting, I finally tracked this book down. I was disappointed. It reads like someone's thesis. The info is good, but there are far better books out there on the topic, such as Pete Egoscue's Pain Free books and Clair Davies Trigger Point Therapy Workbook.

My main gripe with the book is that Koch says massage is not effective for psoas release. In my direct experience this is not true. Psoas pain can be crippling. Trigger point release/massage is an excellent and quick way to
Jordan Vezina
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good primer on psoas anatomy and function. I don't agree with everything in here but I particularly like the attention paid to the emotional component.
Cintain 昆遊龍
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bodywork
Amazing! I love the coherent presentation of the information, the knowledgeable treatment of the subject, and the way the author weaves together the importance and implications of working with, and naturally releasing, the psoas muscles. Really curious to take her workshops now and learn firsthand about my own psoas, especially after experimenting with some of the exercises described.
My only quibble with this book is the appalling, nearly 100% consistent use of "it's" as a possessive. Aaaargh! R
Karla Kettler
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
It is poorly written. This may be more the editors fault than the writers. I ready the 30th anniversary revised edition and there are a few factual mistakes, and many sentencing structure mistakes. Someone should have found and fixed these issues in a revision.
That being said, the sections on releasing the psoas and application are very informative and useful.
I am taking a workshop with the author and I am excited to see if she comes across better in person than in text.
Caroline
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This short book gave me some insight into the psoas and I greatly appreciated the "constructive rest positions" that it teaches to release tight psoas muscles. The grammatical errors distracted me to the point where I didn't read the entire book. I found the diagrams confusing and not clear, which was frustrating when using the book to learn about anatomy. I had to go to other resources for that. It was difficult to locate a library copy (I got the one I read through inter-library loan).
Tori Miller
Mar 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Tori Miller by: TRE book
2nd read - June 2010 - It is very distracting that the book is so poorly written, but it does have some good information.

1st read - March 2008 - This book is very poorly written, but I did learn a lot from it and I am definitely going to try out her exercises. I also got some great tips on sitting at a desk and in a car to help avoid problems.
Rebecca
Dec 24, 2015 rated it liked it
It has interesting information. It started out good helping me to understand where the psoas is in the body and how it works. I really enjoyed the chapter on Releasing the Psoas. But I wanted more exercises, pictures, and movement examples.
Ploetzly
Apr 03, 2008 rated it liked it
realyl great information about the psoas a very important muscle (the only way your legs are attached to your torso! the muscle where movement of your leg orginates from!)...but i WANT MORE!!! her website is very imformative and has almost the same information. i want to read her other book more
Kimberly
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Kimberly by: my chiropractor
Poorly written, but I hope it has the information I need to heal. I get the idea I need to use this book in conjunction with a licensed health care provider who understands it, which may end up being an impediment to me.
Molly
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The psoas is an amazingly important muscle. Live it, love it, learn it.
John Hawkins
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although the excercise images are stick figures Liz Koch is into some important work. Happy to have it.
Mills College Library
Irem
Aug 07, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Yoga Mat Companion 4: Arm Balances & Inversions
  • Awareness Through Movement: Easy-to-Do Health Exercises to Improve Your Posture, Vision, Imagination, and Personal Awareness
  • Structural Yoga Therapy: Adapting to the Individual
  • Yoga for Transformation: Ancient Teachings and Practices for Healing the Body, Mind, and Heart
  • Yoga Adjustments: Philosophy, Principles, and Techniques
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • Moola Bandha: The Master Key
  • The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga: The Philosophy and Practice of Yin Yoga
  • Trail Guide to the Body
  • The Yoga of Breath: A Step-by-Step Guide to Pranayama
  • The New Rules of Posture: How to Sit, Stand, and Move in the Modern World
  • The Vital Psoas Muscle: Connecting Physical, Emotional, and Spiritual Well-Being
  • Move Your DNA Restore Your Health Through Natural Movement
  • Teaching Yoga: Exploring the Teacher-Student Relationship
  • Back Care Basics: A Doctor's Gentle Yoga Program for Back and Neck Pain Relief
  • Anatomy of Movement
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • Yoga Nidra