Start by marking “The Right and the Power: The Prosecution of Watergate” as Want to Read:
The Right and the Power: The Prosecution of Watergate

The Right and the Power: The Prosecution of Watergate

The secrets of Watergate were hidden by lies & deceit. Only one man had the right & the power to bring the White House to justice. In this book Special Prosecutor Leon Jaworski for the first time explains & documents the details of the behind-the-scenes struggles for the White House tape recordings, the release of which culminated in a historic Supreme Court de ...more
Hardcover
Published April 1st 1979 by HarperCollins (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Right and the Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Right and the Power

CatBookMom
7/27 - ran out of steam about pp167, when the legal brief quotations started getting really long. These are hard to read, difficult to comprehend, even though I think they were written by extremely good attorneys. I will finish this, just have to take a break.
Ronald Wise
Jul 17, 2012 Ronald Wise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book seems to become more interesting and relevant as time passes. Perhaps not enough time had elapsed when I read it the first two times (in 1977 and 1985) for me to appreciate its historical value. But this time I had forgotten enough so that it read like a suspense thriller at times and an interestingly detailed personal journal at others. So much forgotten that I was almost able to re-experience that growing dismay that comes from reading the transcripts of those White House conversatio ...more
Phillip
May 23, 2015 Phillip rated it really liked it
For anyone interested in Watergate, the prosecution of President Nixon, White House aides, and CREEP staff members -- this is THE book to read. It's written in the contemporary time, so it has a "freshness" to the Watergate Special Prosecutor's thoughts/memories. He also writes in a "just the facts" lawyerly manner, laying out the case against all the defendants, fully explaining exactly what we now refer to as the "Watergate" crimes, and the case against the President. It is thorough, but enjoy ...more
James
Feb 16, 2013 James rated it really liked it
About the only reason I don't give this and similar books a "5" is that this was the era of "piling on." Anything that spread bile about Nixon was taken as true hook, line and sinker. I happen to think Nixon was a thug, but there are limits.
Mike
May 26, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing
A thorough and easy to read account of his role as Special Prosecutor (after Archibald Cox) of the Watergate affair. He adds his thoughtful and balanced judgements to the historical account. An excellent primer of what occurred and how it was adjudicated.
Steven
May 08, 2009 Steven rated it liked it
A useful piece of the Nixon puzzle, I enjoyed this book for its first-hand account of a time of great turmoil in our nation. This is particularly useful as a history of the independent prosecutor's office.
Andrew Scholes
This was a tough read. There were a lot of letters back and forth between Jaworski and the White House and various Courts. There were many legal pleadings or decisions. It was well documented and, again, contradicted many of the other Watergate books, which I expected.
David Hill
Dec 05, 2009 David Hill rated it really liked it
Starting about page 111 is a great summary of what the Watergate scandal was all about.
Joel Ware
Joel Ware rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2008
S
S rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2012
Sherri Stommel
Sherri Stommel rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
Victor
Victor rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2009
Semi Literate
Semi Literate rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2013
Casey
Casey rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2017
Gjabbar
Gjabbar rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2010
Mark Oconnor
Mark Oconnor rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2013
Tony
Tony rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2012
Howard
Howard rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Lyn
Lyn rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2011
Don Keninitz
Don Keninitz rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Bobbie
Bobbie rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2015
Sue Law
Sue Law rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Joel Ware
Joel Ware rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2008
Margaret
Margaret rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2009
Maria-pia Nz
Maria-pia Nz rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2012