Start by marking “Confessions of an Organized Homemaker: The Secrets of Uncluttering Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life” as Want to Read:

Do you find yourself constantly picking up the toys and clothing that clutter your home? Has your desk drawer become your filing cabinet? Do dentist appointments and important events seem to sneak up on youif you remember them at all? If so, then Confessions of an Organized Homemaker is coming to your rescue!

The author, Deniece Schofield, who at one time needed "a camel,

Published January 1st 2000 by Barnes & Noble (first published February 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of an Organized Homemaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of an Organized Homemaker

Start your review of Confessions of an Organized Homemaker: The Secrets of Uncluttering Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life
Mystie Winckler
Own.

My mom's copy of this book, published around the time I was born, was Confessions of an Organized Housewife. This revised edition was published in 1994, and homemaker is a better title for it than housewife. I wonder if her tone and approach was more "housewifey" in the 80's than in the 90's. For some reason the whole feel of the book struck me as definitely "early 90's" working- soccer- super-mom, after, of course her sob story in the beginning of living so long in chaos. Every organization
Thought this was a decent book—I’m always looking for a few good tips. Some ideas just seemed… dumb, though. Like her idea for board game storage (seemed like it would be a lot more trouble than it was worth). And then there was a chapter that outlined a weekly cleaning schedule, and I literally laughed out loud. As per the suggestions, you would spend 2 hours cleaning on Monday and Wednesday, a minimal amount of time cleaning on Tuesday, Thursday, and weekends, and 3 hours cleaning on Friday. ...more
Jessica
Jun 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I was to just simply be rating all home organization or otherwise home improvement books I would be giving this a five, whole-heartedly, but I don't like to give my five's out lightly and it just seems wrong to put this on the same level as "To Kill a Mockingbird" or "These is my words".

That being said it really should get a five, because this book has really improved my life. I have spent the last three weeks organizing my home. The biggest improvement was re-organizing my kitchen.

My two
Mary Anne
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this book several years ago now. It had a lot of information that was similar to another organization book I'd read, but this one views Homemaking as something of value all by itself and the other view it as a necessary evil. It's been a few years and I think it's time I pulled this book back off my shelf and reread it, since when I read it the first time I had no kids in school yet and only had two kids. Things have changed and to be quite honest I could use a little help figuring out a ...more
Lori
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I discovered this book at my library and read it cover to cover. It's a bit dated in a few sections, but still filled to the brim with helpful hints for organizing your home and home life. If there was a more updated version, I would probably buy a copy for every couple I know that gets married and sets up a new home together.
Shawn Williams
Apr 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book changed my life! I was finally able to stay on top of things. She has excellent ideas and useful suggestions that can be translated to the real world. Loved this book!
Elissa
Jan 09, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
The beginning of this book was good and highly motivating. But I found the actual, specific organizing tips to be almost completely unhelpful. To me it was a like a neat freak trying to give advice to someone without a chaotic mess of a house- no good. But I give it three stars for the things I did learn from this book, like taking one goal at a time to work on for 6 weeks, writing things down, etc.
Jul 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Flylady might provide the motivation, but this book provides the methodology. It agrees that decluttering is first, but goes the extra mile in explaining how to put away and store the "good stuff." I never knew how to do that which is why my good stuff seems like clutter and the house is a wreck. I will be hanging on to this one until the library pries it out of my hands.
Becky
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It may seem a little archaic, 50s or so, but the principles really work. I do not tie my hair back with a bandana and put on my maid clothes, but I use a lot of her ideas for organizing my life, and I can honestly say I have more time to do what I want to do now that I did before I read the book.
Stephanie
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't laugh, this book seriously has changed my life. I look at everything I do differently, from the perspective of wanting to be able to find a "red sock in the dark." My house is better organized, and it allows me to save time. Recently I have been I have been in the middle of a move. I have been so frustrated by never knowing where my labels, tape, and scissors were. I spent an inordinate amount of time going from room to room searching for things I was using all day long. Finally, in ...more
Cinnapatty
I read this because I know the author. Some things are definitely outdated but others are timeless. I liked hearing Deniece's voice in my head as I read. That was fun ;)
Orquidea Tropical
Easy to follow and clear. Worth your time.
Chelsey McNeil
She makes filing systems for her kids jigsaw puzzles. I can kind of relate to this impulse, having been a junior-high girl who put library stickers on the spines of my own books and alphabetized the family VHS collection growing up, but now being a busy SAHM with 3 little boys to care for, I just don't have the time for this level of detail.
I recommend The Fast and Furious 5 Step Organizing Solution: No-Fuss Clutter Control from a Top Professional Organizer for those who really want to get
Gaijinmama
Sep 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A good resource for those of us who need help decluttering, managing our time, and getting organized. The author offers practical suggestions for each section of the home and for basic home management activities such as meal planning. She has a sense of humor, too; for example, those of us who are into crafts but rarely finish what we start and tend to leave our works-in-progress lying around all over the place are "Living in the projects!"
That said, I like Marla Cilley's Sink Reflections and
Betsy
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This was a fun read. I would love to see the author's house because she sounds, well, ORGANIZED. I kind of cracked up in parts.

Some random thoughts:
1. We don't own enough stuff to organize in some of the fashions she describes. Other ideas are genius (inspired me to put my few sewing patterns into manila envelopes and glue the pattern package to the outside--excellent!)

2. This book was written before the age of apps, mobile devices, etc. I found her recipe organization suggestions intriguing,
Magda
Jan 13, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Magda by: Leila @ http://ourmothersdaughters.blogspot.c...
The copyright date is 1994, so an entire chapter made me laugh with its complicated ways for keeping track of things ... I just use google calendar and goodreads and don't have to worry about that part of things.

There were several parts of this book which would never apply to me, but I may take the time to re-read it, as there are thought-provoking ways of looking at, not just how to get housework done, but how to organize the home and the schedule to minimize the time spent doing unliked
Jennifer Heise
This book is full of lots of little tips for running your house more easily, though some of them seem a bit dated... I enjoy dipping into it. What it isn't is a great guide to uncluttering (in the modern sense), that is, a major discard-and-purge process. For those who need to do cluttering a little bit at a time, this could be an excellent source, and it's a fun book for those who like household hints and organizing suggestions of the less-crafty type (none of the elaborate giftwrapping ...more
Christina
This is an OLD book -- she talks about cassette players and how you "might" want a computer in your office, for example -- but it's also full of lots of good ideas. One idea she had was to buy a dishpan (she uses these for EVERYTHING) and use it to bring dishes to and from the table, just like a busboy at a restuarant. Saves you trips and pain. I just might try it. Many of the other things I'm already doing but the book reminded me I need to get organized. I also like her idea of storing ...more
Martha
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Written in a very dated-sounding-style and directed to a much more ambitious housewife than I would ever be (like making a schedule of housework and determining how many hours a week you plan on cleaning). Also, it's a bit out of date with computer/technology references that are more annoying than quaint. But, there are a few good ideas in there, a few gems of tips that are really useful...you just have to read or skim a lot of other stuff to find them. The zones of activities and ...more
Lisa Topp
Apr 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all moms
Shelves: non-fiction
With chapters like basic organizing, schedules made for you, curing mealtime madness and turning toyland into joyland, this book offers opportunity to bring control to all areas of your life. Don't attempt to do it all at once, because it will be overwhelming and won't stick! It's a great resource for trouble spots, and I've looked back at it over the years as our clutter zones have changed and grown with along with the number and ages of children. It contains a lot of common sense stuff, but ...more
Libby
Jun 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hobbies
I thought she had a lot of really great practical advice. I find it really amusing how much she loves using ice-trays (i'm not even sure I know what those are), kitty litter boxes, and card board boxes. I'm just DYING to see where this lady lives... Some of the things are a bit extreme- I mean, do you really expect me to write little color-coded numbers on the back of all my puzzles? But I definitely feel inspired to move a few things around and try to think about making my home more efficient.
Becky
Aug 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far, I'm really enjoying this book. I paused with reading further because I want to implement some ideas! I'm afraid if I keep reading (though I *really* want to!), that I'll forget some of the things that I want to implement.
********************************
Finished the book. I do have to say that the first half is better than the second half. There were some good ideas in here, and I definitely made some adjustments in my home because of this book!
Marcie
Aug 02, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really surprised that I enjoyed this book as much as I did. Some of the book was really basic and I was able to skim through it, but there were other parts that have already powerfully impacted my homemaking and organizing skills. I recommend at least glancing through it to see if her techniques can benefit you.
Kelly
Mar 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction-bios
Since getting married, I've been interested in running
our home more efficiently. This book has a lot of great ideas,
many that I was already using, that help to streamline the
dreaded but necessary processes of housework, cooking, and home
management. Oh, yeah, and I looove books about organizing.
Carrie Wynn
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not updated with electronic organizing ideas, but still has excellent concepts as well as concrete instructions on how to get & stay organized. Also appreciated the incorporation of "life-coach" & well-being principles in addition to the methods she outlined. Many of the things I'm already doing, & some of them I wouldn't choose to do, but I still found this a useful & encouraging read.
Alissa
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home
I've been reading a bunch of these homemaking books lately and this is by far the best. She gives so much practical advice on sorting, storing, etc. There are definitely things that I didn't implement from her book, but I found it very practical. It is the first book that has actually motivated me to get rid of that stuff I've been holding on to since Jr. High!
Wendi
I think that I am a very organized person already, but I was looking for some good tips. So it seemed like the first half of the book I already did, but I did get some tips when she went into specific areas of the home. I don't think I have very many cake pans, and I would never use them just to organize something.
Daniella
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
some decent tips, but most of it feels dated (this is pre-internet mind you) and most of her ideas I've already read about on my rounds of Pinterest. Many tips just fall on the "well, duh" category also. If you have the time and need a good crash course, then it may be worth a read, but I wish I wouldn't have wasted my time.
Krista
Jan 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read this several times in the past and periodically revisit it to try and get a better handle on organization and better ways to do things. Everything from house cleaning to bill paying and recordkeeping...what to keep and what to get rid of.
Lulu
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quick read for me. It is actually a bit outdated, and I feel OK about giving this one away. It has lots of good tips that would be useful to mothers of young kids, but I gleaned everything I will ever need from it
(8-track & cassette storage? seriously?)
« previous 1 3 next »

• Moving On: Creating Your House of Belonging with Simple Abundance
  • The Artist's Way Every Day: A Year of Creative Living
  • The True Secret of Writing: Connecting Life with Language
  • Organize Now!: A Week-by-Week Guide to Simplify Your Space and Your Life
  • The Woman's Comfort Book
  • Sidetracked Home Executives: From Pigpen to Paradise
  • Tell Your Time: How To Manage Your Schedule So You Can Live Free
  • Time Management from the Inside Out: The Foolproof System for Taking Control of Your Schedule--and Your Life
  • One Year to an Organized Life: From Your Closets to Your Finances, the Week-by-Week Guide to Getting Completely Organized for Good
  • Living the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspirations from Working Artists