Start by marking “Pigs to the Rescue: A Picture Book” as Want to Read:
Pigs to the Rescue: A Picture Book

Pigs to the Rescue: A Picture Book

Farmer Greenstalk and his family have the darnedest luck. Broken-down tractors, kites stuck in trees--they're always having problems! It's a good thing they have such helpful farm animals on hand.

This time around, the pigs want to pitch in, and boy, do they ever! The Greenstalks soon find, though, that life might just be a little easier without their help...
Pigs to the
Published April 27th 2010 by Henry Holt & Company (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Pigs to the Rescue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pigs to the Rescue

Start your review of Pigs to the Rescue: A Picture Book
Melki
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh, these pigs! They're so eager to help . . . that they don't realize sometimes their "help" is not a good thing. There's no moral here - just some eager to please barnyard animals having a good time.

And, the author's illustrations are priceless!

description
Heidi-Marie
The sequel to Chickens to the Rescue. I'll have to find the 3rd book as well--these are so enjoyable. The twist/difference to this one is that the pigs' help isn't all that helpful. But very funny to see. I think the kids will enjoy this.

4/29/15 A great addition to the Farm storytime theme. The younger kids enjoyed the words and pictures. Might not have quite gotten how the pigs' help wasn't as helpful. Older kids and adults loved it. Very good choice.

6/13/18 Used as closer in R theme. Kids
Anneliese
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
With this book all if want now is a farm with no pigs.
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I laughed until I needed a tissue!
Tracy Morton
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
So cute. Every time somebody has a problems the pigs run in to save the day.
Carol
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!! My 3 year old granddaughter was so confused and delighted by this book! We kept ending our sentences with "Pigs to the rescue!" A *must* read!
Nancy
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very funny...great ending!
Rachael Terry
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short sentences. It's fun to yell with the kids 'pigs to the rescue!'
Leslie Bardo
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
This book is about the Greenstalk family farm, who each get face minor daily problems, but their pigs come to the rescue to help by shouting "Pigs to the rescue!". This book includes lovable pig characters who really want to help, but just cause trouble instead of assisting. Their problem-solving is so creative and hilarious that it makes the characters so entertaining. The pictures are big, vibrant and the cartoons are drawn very well. In every page, theres a problem that has arose and a little ...more
Tasha
Aug 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I loved Chickens to the Rescue which was released in 2006 and this next book is just as winning and funny as the first! Each day of the week Farmer Greenstalk and his family need help. The tractor breaks down, the garden needs watering, a shoelace breaks and a kite gets stuck in the tree. In each case, the pigs launch in to help out, always leaving the situation a bit worse than when they helped. This zany book is sure to have guffaws galore as the illustrations are there to tell the rest of the ...more
Megan
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was sheer funny and delight. Whenever the Greenstalk family farm experiences some minor mishaps (the hose leaks and can't water the flowers, the tractor breaks and can't plow the fields, the rooster becomes sick and can't wake everyone) the Pigs all rush in to the rescue. There is so much to be found in the pig illustrations--from their costumes, to the implements they bring to help remedy each problem. Unfortunately,for the Greenstalks the pigs do much more harm than good in their ...more
Britteny Gilge
Pigs to the rescue made me laugh out loud more than a couple of times. This comical books show how the farm animals help the Greenstalk family when they experience a problem. When the pigs find out about the problem they come to the rescue bringing with them the most extreme of fixes- a pool of water because Mrs. Greenstalk ran out of water for her garden. Each time they try to fix something they instead make a different problem- the kite was stuck in the tree so the pigs made a pyramid to get ...more
Stacey
Mar 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Won this in the first reads contest. Let me tell you... this book was AWESOME! My friend and I who are both 27 years old were laughing at this book. It was SO cute. The story is hilarious and the illustrations are what made this book. I love the detail that this book has. I noticed the pig tail/snout/eye in every picture on the pages where someone was having a problem. Yes, I even noticed the last one. I told my mom who works in an elementary school library to get this book. I can't wait to read ...more
Alaina Sloo
My favorite of John Himmelman's farm animal to the rescue books for preschool age children. A laugh-out-loud story of what happens when the pigs come to the aid of Farmer Brown and his family, but a teensy weensy bit over-enthusiastically. Simply structured, with limited words and great illustrations, this is a good book for reading aloud to preschool classes early in the year. Check out the other two Rescue books: Chickens to the Rescue and Cows to the Rescue.
Megan Renner
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: etl-2368
Himmelman, J. (2010). Pigs to the rescue. New York: Henry Holt and Company, LLC.

It is a story about ordinary things going wrong such as needing a new shoelace, all the way to needing help plowing a field, and pigs come to the rescue. They help fix all the problems in the town. Well finally the people of the town got annoyed with the pigs coming to help fix things that finally when a cat spills some milk everyone agrees to remain quiet. Then the last page is a group of cows coming to the rescue.
Kacie Fincher
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
This is a very funny and very cute picture book. This story is about a group of pigs on a farm who always try to come to the rescue but actually end up just making a mess. Every time something goes awry, these pigs coming running in and are eager to fix the problem. I just loved this story and would us it in a read aloud to young children. The pigs are so funny that any child would enjoy this book. You could ask children what they thought the pigs were going to try to fix next. This book would ...more
Rachel
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
First it was the chickens, now it is the pigs' chance to save the day.

However, in their frenzied rush, the pigs give help whether it was wanted or not. Really, they are causing some trouble for the beleaguered family, as they sweep from page to page creating mayhem.

These hectic actions are portrayed with silly poses, made by pigs in comic costumes. The piglet in particular is one to watch for.

By the end all may seem well, but just as the family breathes a sigh of relief, the author hints at
Susan
If the Greenstalks encounter any difficulties on the farm, they have no worries since the pigs are always there to help out. This humorous look at the tribulations of each day of the week and how the pigs assist various members of the Greenstalk family until Sunday when the cat spills her milk... The illustrations provide lots of visual clues to the events and transitions of the story. This book would provide a great teaching tool for illustrations, visual storytelling and the days of the week.
Lara
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
So much fun!! I thought this might be a series where it's all the same thing over and over in each book. But I love the twist in this one! Pigs aren't nearly as helpful as chickens - who knew?

This would be a great storytime read for farms or pigs. Plus it's an easy one for the kids to participate with, since there's such an enthusiastic refrain to the story. It'd also be a great one for one-on-one reading, so that both adult and child can appreciate all the silly details in the pictures.
babyhippoface
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
SO, so cute.

Something goes wrong every day of the week for the Greenstalk family, from a broken tractor to a kite stuck in a tree to a broken shoelace. Luckily for them (or not) those farm pigs are ready and eager to help!

Pair this with Shel Silverstein's poem "Helping", and you've got a great classroom discussion!

From "Helping", by Shel Silverstein:
And some kind of help is the kind of help
That helping's all about
And some kind of help is the kind of help
We all can do without
SaraKat
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am an adult. I laughed myself silly reading this book alone in a quiet room. I loved every page and loved the way part of a pig was visible in each problem page to show the pigs eavesdropping and finding out about these things. I think my favorite illustration was the depressed duck. The end perfectly led to the second book about cows. There is so much to enjoy about this book and reading it to a youngster will only make it better!
Angie
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
I already know this one is a winner with the almost four year old crowd because my niece brought it over to read this afternoon.

Adorable pictures. Fun opportunities for choral reading (she belted out "PIGS TO THE RESCUE" several times). Now I need to find a copy of Chickens to the Rescue.
Lauren
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-250, fiction
This book was a super easy read and also very funny for somebody even my age! It was about a group of pigs that were always helping everybody even the littlest of things! Finally the family didn't vocalize something went wrong and the pigs never heard. But the cows did! Now the cows are to the rescue!
Shelli
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Farmer Greenstalk is blessed and cursed with the worlds most helpful farm animals. Each book in this hysterical series shows the Greenstalks homestead is alive with activity and well-meaning helpers; in Pigs to the Rescue the porcine wonders sometimes care a bit too much. Kids will LOVE this entire collection! ...more
Kristen
Every day of the week, when someone needs help on the Greenstalk farm, it's "Pigs to the rescue!" with a bit more help than is actually required. Not much of a plot, but the way the pigs overhelp might be nice for a discussion on what help is and what help is not. Cute ending, too, and engaging art.
Lori
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wish I could have said 4.5 stars....cause I loved it....which is better than really liked, but less than "it was amazing".

It is charming, funny, and would make a great read aloud for preschoolers through first graders. There is a lot to read in the pictures and the text has pattern and repetition to help support beginning readers.

Aaron
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I read a lot of books to my children, and when you combine that with my own childhood it means I am familiar with more books of this type than most people. So when this book nearly reduced me to tears with its hilarious pictures and storyline, I knew it was a keeper. Read it to your kids, and if you don't have any, read it to yourself! It will bring a smile to your face.
Skye Kilaen
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We may have forgotten to use our library voices, for a minute, when we were reading this in the library. There are multiple "To The Rescue" books but this one is the most absurd, where the pigs just surprise the heck out of you with their stunts. Highly recommended when you need a laugh. Or several.
Carly Laferriere
Apr 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This was so cute! I thoroughly enjoyed the illustrations. It was even better when Stacey pointed out that there were pig body parts (snout, tail, etc) hidden on a bunch of the pages. It's looks like there is a "Chickens to the Rescue" book too! I may just have to visit the children's section at the library.
Ileana Lindner
Nov 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
THE BARN IS IN CRISIS! No need to worry though because Pigs to the Rescue is going to take care of it all. In this book series different animals take it into their hands to help solve the "problems" of everyday life! This is a fun book to read to students grades pre-k through 1st grade. Students love this series and it literally never gets old because they are so short.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Little Pea
  • I Love You More Than the Smell of Swamp Gas
  • Giraffe Problems
  • Have You Seen My Cat?
  • Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?
  • Here, George!
  • Your Baby's First Word Will Be DADA
  • Just in Case You Want to Fly
  • Truck Full of Ducks
John Himmelman is the author and illustrator of more than sixty books for children, including Chickens to the Rescue. He lives in Connecticut with his family.

According John's Facebook page, he has been "making up stories and scribbling pictures since I could hold a crayon in my hand. It became my job in 1981, when my first book, "Talester the Lizard" was published during my last year in college

News & Interviews