Start by marking “Warbreaker” as Want to Read:
Warbreaker

Warbreaker (Warbreaker #1)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  66,538 Ratings  ·  4,655 Reviews
Warbreaker is the story of two sisters, who happen to be princesses, the God King one of them has to marry, the lesser god who doesn’t like his job, and the immortal who’s still trying to undo the mistakes he made hundreds of years ago. Their world is one in which those who die in glory return as gods to live confined to a pantheon in Hallandren’s capital city and where a ...more
Audiobook, 25 pages
Published October 1st 2009 by Recorded Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Warbreaker, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Caleb E Durrant
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jessica M. I would rate this PG13. It is solidly on the adult end of the spectrum, and you'll find the writing detailed and complex. The story itself is an…moreI would rate this PG13. It is solidly on the adult end of the spectrum, and you'll find the writing detailed and complex. The story itself is an intricate one, and it certainly has some very adult themes (and scenes).(less)

Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
AHHH
WHAT JUST
I need the next book. Now. And I don't have it. What do I do!?
Petrik
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: high fantasy fans
Shelves: owned-physical
4.5/5 Stars

Amazing Buddy read with these ladies:
Sister from another mother Sarah
Innocent Queen Celeste
Lovely Princess Mary
and everyone from Fantasy Buddy Reads group!

First things first, Warbreaker is the first book by Brandon Sanderson I read which aren't from the Mistborn series and while it doesn't live up to the greatness of the original Mistborn trilogy for me, this is still a really great read. Sanderson haven't disappoint me so far and I don't think he ever will, at least in his Cosmere wo
☽Luna☾
"My life to yours. My Breath become yours.”

Buddy read with my homies at fantasy buddy reads & some of my favorite people;
1. Mary
2. Patty
3.Celeste
4.Choko

HOLY SHIT

SLAP MY ASS AND CALL ME SUE! WHAT IN GODS NAME DID I JUST READ?! ILL TELL YOU WHAT, A FUCKING MASTERPIECE.

description

“Every man is a hero of his own story."

This book was absolutely mind blowing good, it took my breath away & now I'm a drab, I am once again at a loss for words after another Sanderson book. Seriously how does he
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I've been had.

I'm simultaneously impressed and infuriated by this knowledge.

It's not that I consider myself to be exceptionally smart so that nothing ever gets by me, or that I'm super sneaky and thus able to suss out super sneakiness in others, but you know how it is: when you've read enough books, you become cynical.

If a character does even a single eyebrow-raising thing, you've got their number. Anything that qualifies as "questionable" behavior a suspect makes.

Take
Samantha
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-shelf
This is not on the same level for me as Mistborn but I do have a feeling that I'll appreciate this one even more as time goes on and I'm looking forward to discussing it more in detail during with my gush video!
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
4.5 I always have a hard time reviewing Brandon Sanderson's books. As always the world building and the magic system is what makes this book amazing. I really liked the story and the twist I didn't see coming.

I don't think it was better than some other books I've read from him but I would totally recommend this books and cannot wait for the sequel since the title is the name of one of my favorite character... a talking sword :P
Hasham Rasool
"My life is yours. My Breath become yours."

Brandon Sanderson has wonderful ideas of magical powers system, belief and political.

WOW, WOW, WOW!
This is a very different kind of fantasy book.

This is an unusual Sanderson's book. I feel this book completed adult version.

'Warbreaker' genres are mystery, magic and the politics of divinity.

Lots of characters are stupendous! My favourite characters are Lightsong the Bold, Llarimar, Nightblood, Vasher, Siri, Susebron and Vivenna but Lightsong the Bold is
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
"It's funny, Vasher thought, how many things begin with my getting thrown into prison."

Warbreaker is one of those books that I will think back on and say "Wow that was a really well balanced fantasy novel." And by well balanced I mean that everything was in perfect proportion. The number of perspectives, the intricacy of the plot, the pace of action, everything was just perfectly well written.

I want to take a moment and explain a small thing about myself and why this book, as well as Sanderson's
Markus
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2015, cosmere

“You should watch yourself, child,” he whispered. “Not all here in the palace is as it seems.”

Siri and Vivenna are princesses of the mountain kingdom of Idris, a minor power whose very existence is threatened by invasion from the Kingdom of the Iridescent Tones. And so, to avoid war, one of them must leave her home to marry the God King of Hallandren, a man reputed to be a monster.

Read a book by Brandon Sanderson, and certain things are guaranteed to appear. An innovative magic system f
Bibi
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
**Spoilers**

One advice. Do read Warbreaker prior to reading the Mistborn Trilogy Boxed Set .

In the past 72 hrs, I've read in excess of 2600 pages of words written by Sanderson and let me tell you, it's been an immersion of epic proportion. This author is one level above genius. His words, the world building, the characters, and the pace. Brilliant.

I digress.

Once I finished the Mistborn trilogy, I dove into Warbreaker anticipating an equally exhilarating experience.

Unlike the Mistborn series, War
Robin (Bridge Four)
What is better than Pi day (3.14)? A Warbreaker reread/buddy read starting on Pi Day with my felllow Sandersonitis friends at Fantasy Buddy Reads

This is a private group. Let me know if you need an invite.

What made this book Awesome all over again? Two Characters Vasher and Nightblood!!!
Would you like to destroy some evil today?

description

Original Review Jun 2014:

4.25 Stars

Buddy read with Athena and Alexa.

I have Sandersonitis – Symptoms include
- Bleary eyes from reading too long or staying up too lat
Choko
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*** 5 ***

Wow! Another spellbinding, mind blowing, fast talking, action packed Sanderson hit! I have gotten so used to his brilliance already that it doesn't surprise me anymore - I have come to expect it from him and wonder if he will ever write something that lets my high expectations down... Well, not this time, that is for sure!

I love the universe Sanderson has created for the majority of his Fantasy, of which this world is a part of. This time the magic system depends on the human "breath" ,
Celeste
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Full review now posted below!

This was my first buddy-read with royalty: Lady Luna, Marquess Mary, and Prince Petrik. Love you guys!

I feel sated. I had high hopes for Warbreaker, and those hopes were far surpassed. I cannot comprehend the mind of Brandon Sanderson. How does he come up with such complex magic systems, layered religions, and multifaceted characters? Not just once, but multiple times in multiple different universes? I know that they’re all part of the same Cosmere, and I can’t wait
Samir
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brandon Sanderson is for many, one of the best fantasy writers and his books are listed among almost any top ten fantasy book list and I always thought my first Sanderson book would be The Way of Kings or The Final Empire but somehow Warbreaker ended up to be my first foray into the mind of Sanderson.

Depending on the writing some books need more time to get in to. This is not that kind of book. Prologue features a mysterious character on an assassination mission wielding a badass sword with a mi
Lucía
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No puedo superar lo abrupto que fue el epilogo xD.
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
2.5

Let me start by saying that I was pleasantly surprised. For some reason I was expecting another epic type fantasy, with lots of travel and descriptions of foliage, and I was very glad to find myself mistaken in that regard. I enjoyed the more personal aspect of the story, and the intrigue and mystery which went along with it. It was definitely a page-turned, especially towards the end when I wanted to see how everything would work out.

So why only 2 1/2 stars?

A few reasons. The first is that i
Stefan
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review now updated.

In honor of WeRateDogs one year anniversary:
"This... is Sanderson's good book. We only rate bad Sanderson. Please send bad Sanderson. Thank you. 12/10"

In pretty much uneven and yawn enticing plot-wise book lies a hidden gem called Lightsong.
To me, he is the most interesting character Sanderson created in his entire Cosmere Universe.
For 60-70% of this book, that is.
Later, as predictable, he suffered from author’s inability to rise him up from something more th
Felicia
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this a lot. One thing I admire about this author is his dedication to world-building. This is the third world I've read by him where he's invented a new type of magic system that is fresh and interesting. It takes a lot of road-paving to get something this unique through to the audience, and the beginning is a bit slow because of it, but I really enjoyed the characters and the magic system.

Like most of the other reviews I agree the ending felt a bit rushed, and the sequel was set up in
Evgeny
Aug 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Let me start my review with a brief detour to the list of the most awesome fantasy swords.
Swords
Excalibur from Arthurian legends.
Stormbringer from Elric saga by Michael Moorcock.
Dragnipur from Malazan series by Steven Erikson.
Callandor from Wheel of Time epic by Robert Jordan.
Lightsaber from Star Wars movies.
Masamune from Japanese folklore.
Gurthang from Silmarillion classic by J.R.R. Tolkien.

For people unfamiliar with the book let me introduce you to Nightblood: it is a sword which can hold pretty w
Aristea
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-on-shelf
This was such an amazing book!
I already mentioned that Sanderson's ability to create new worlds and magic systems. The best part is that he can explain them in a way it works and it totally makes sense!
It is a slower book compared to other Sanderson books yet I truly enjoyed it; it felt like a journey in characters' lives and understanding of the magic system and religious system!

What I loved about this book specifically was the character development. I am really impressed by the development of
Jonathan

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!

I really have spoiled myself far too much after feeling exultant due to exams being over and holidays having begun. Firstly it was the sweets (drinking m&ms, eating cheescake, icecream, trifle and toasted sandwiches filled with caramelised apple - cook apples and then mix cream and brown sugar) but not all at once of course, only across 24 hours. And then secondly I read this absolute gem of a novel. But then I have found all of Brandon Sanderson's serious fantasy books to be
Kells Next Read
I’ve always known the truth, but nobody pays attention to what I say. Shouldn’t they listen to the one they worship? Particularly if he’s telling you not to worship him?”~ Lightsong

Holy Mother Of All things Divine~This F**King Book was Awesome.

I can't even review this. I'm just going to lie down and think about all the "Epicness" that I just read.
Daiane
Actual Rating: 3.5

“You see, the great thing about madness is that it's all in your head.” .

So, this book was recommended to me by my cousin who thought I would like it even though she never read. I think it was like some kind of experiment and I was the subject. Well, I looked around a little and I couldn't see not even one person that I was following that disliked this book. On the opposite actually, it had a lot of five stars. So I got it to read and I have to admit, I'm quite disappointed.
Haïfa
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
This is seemingly the tale of two radically different sisters. Vivenna is the oldest of her siblings, traditional, poised and raised to be the perfect bride to the God King and to maintain peace between their two kingdoms. And then, there is Siri, the youngest princess, rebellious, curious, full of life and... "unimportant". Their lives are turned upside down the day their father decides to send Siri to Hallandren to marry Susberon, the God King, instead of Vivenna.
But this is also a tale of sel
Denisse
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hardcore epic fantasy fans! :D
Recommended to Denisse by: so many cool people, thank you!
Shelves: crushes
Warbreaker is a complicated world, full of rules and words you might find confusing, but also incredibly addictive to read with great characters. Sanderson knows how to explain his magic systems; he knows how to drive you through it slowly, so if you don’t mind having a slow pace Sanderson is definitely someone you want to read. An amazing epic adult fantasy full with perfect dialogs, great twists and perfect balance between politics, religion and magic.

Para fans de la fantasía de verdad. Odio
Gulcea
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, e-books
This is my first Brandon Sanderson book and I LOVED IT PEOPLE!!

So many people are saying that Mistborn is his best book and one should start from Mistborn if they will read Sanderson and Cosmere. I started with Warbreaker because he has a free copy on his website. I was afraid to not like it but luckily I loved it!

It felt great to read a good fantasy book after reading so many similar young adult fantasy books which have the same worlds with same characters.

I want to say so many great things bu
Melissa
COLORS THIS WAS SO FREAKING GOOD!!!

So so sooo happy I decided to finally pick this up. I loved the world-building, the characters and the magical system in this story. I want more!
Danae
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buddy read with Fantasy Buddy Reads.

So most people already know what a genius Brandon Sanderson is. He creates magic systems and worlds so breathtakingly original that you can't help but admire him. I admire him alright, but I also wish I could borrow some of his creativity to write my reviews for his books. They deserve all the creativity they can get, as oppose to the speechless-ness that he tends to evoke in me. However, since that isn't possible I'm just going to say this: If you like Fantas
Majo
“—¿Te inclinas entonces ante los caprichos del universo?
—¿Qué más podría hacer?
—Combatirlo. Combatirlo con todo, obligar al universo a inclinarse ante tí”

Creo que ya estoy siendo repetitiva, pero Sanderson es un genio. Cada libro que leo de él se sitúa en mis favoritos de manera casi instantánea. Y este no es la excepción. De hecho, viene a reafirma una regla que se convertirá en ley.

Es un libro increíble de aventuras y conspiraciones políticas, mezclado con una magia única y un universo fant
Gavin
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Warbreaker is another great Brandon Sanderson epic fantasy novel. Like his other books this had great world building, a fantastic and unique system of magic, and a ton of memorable characters.

Warbreaker is the story of two sisters and their attempts to stop two nations from going to war. All set in a world where those who die in glory are returned as Gods, and souls are the fuel that keeps both the returned Gods alive, and powers the biochromatical magic system.

Warbreaker is a superb book and
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Warbreaker 158 42 Nov 30, 2016 04:10PM
  • Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2)
  • The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)
  • The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)
  • A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, #14)
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage, #3)
  • The Charnel Prince (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #2)
  • Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2)
  • The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S
More about Brandon Sanderson...

Warbreaker (2 books)
  • Nightblood (Warbreaker, #2)

“Mocking a woman is like drinking too much wine. It may be fun for a short time, but the hangover is hell.” 649 likes
“I swear, my dear. Sometimes our conversations remind me of a broken sword."

She raised an eyebrow.

"Sharp as hell," Lightsong said, "but lacking a point.”
356 likes