Start by marking “Sisters on the Case” as Want to Read:
Sisters on the Case

Sisters on the Case

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  126 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The latest: an anniversary anthology of 25 short stories by today's best women mystery writers: Sara Paretsky Sue Henry Sue Dunlap P.M. Carlson Rochelle Krich Linda Grant Carolyn Hart Libby Fischer Hellman Nancy Pickard Kate Grilley Medora Sale Barbara D'Amato Claire Carmichael McNab Charlotte MacLeod Annette Meyers Kate Flora Eve K. Sandstrom Patricia Sprinkle Margaret Ma ...more
Published October 2nd 2007 by New American Library (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Sisters on the Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sisters on the Case

Cyndi
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are good mystery stories. I had never realized that women crime writers were so rare back in the eighties and nineties. Thank you, female writers, for continuing to share your stories!
Steve
Sisters on the Case is an anthology of twenty short mystery stories, all by woman authors, celebrating the twentieth year of Sisters in Crime, "an international organization of women writers of crime and mystery." All but three of the stories are original in this book. There is an introduction by the editor, Sarah Paretsky, giving a brief summary of the history of women as mystery authors and of the founding of Sisters in Crime. At the end of the book there are short comments about each of the c ...more
Russeller
Not the best writing I've ever read...
Jerry
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Would we have picked up this paperback without Sara Paretsky's name in bigger letters than the book title? Frankly, probably not. We're not that fond of short-story anthologies, and had not heard of any other of these authors, despite being relatively fond of female mystery writers, except our famous editor and Margaret Maron of Sigrid Harald / Judge Deborah Knott fame. Paretsky wrote a lengthy forward detailing the reason for the book - to celebrate the 20th anniversay of "Sisters In Crime", a ...more
Tes
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do like a good mystery. These were short stories so it was just perfect for those short spurts of time (lunch, breaks, etc.) I am always looking for mystery authors that I haven't read & this gave me several leads.
Francine
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book for e-reading--short stories that could be read while waiting for various appointments. I enjoyed most of the stories, read some authors I hadn't heard of before, and will look them up on Goodreads and the library.
MaryAnn
Apr 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans looking for "clean" stories
I liked the concept of the collection of the authors more then anything else. Women supporting women where women have not been accepted before. Solidarity!

Most of the short stories are neat,complete and orginal. Good reads.
Giovonnae
Jul 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great set of short stories. Many surprise endings. Sara P does an excellent job in picking these stories and the one of her own that she adds is very interesting. Gives some good background on her own life.
Cynthia
Feb 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
Home sick with a cold, what can I say?
TJ
Dec 31, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Good collection. Felt it was lacking in queer women mystery writers. A lot of the women mystery writers I read were not represented. But overall a good collection.
Jenna
The "Lady Patterly's Lover" by Charoltte MacLeod parody was quite amusing.
Tony  Thomas
Dec 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I started this book with great expectations. But it was a big disappointment. Really boring book. Only one or two short stories were good among the collection.
These are VERY short, an odd selection to combine, and not great.
Kevin Shoop
Jun 19, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Grade: D

Sadly, these stories are mostly subpar. Audio version is horrendous...difficult to follow the stories because of the flat narration.
Fern
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun bite sized reads. Great range of approaches to the crime genre. Now to hunt down some Anna Katherine Green to read
Ruth
Good. Lots of short treats.
Kim
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A book of short stories. Not so great.

Pam
Bill
Apr 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Mysterious West
  • Sharyn McCrumb Presents Malice Domestic (Malice Domestic, #7)
  • Sisters in Crime 4 (Sisters in Crime, #4)
  • No Love Lost
  • A Moment on the Edge: 100 Years of Crime Stories by Women
  • Nancy Pickard Presents Malice Domestic (Malice Domestic, #3)
  • Fountain of Death (Gregor Demarkian, #12)
  • Banking on Death (John Putnam Thatcher, #1)
  • McCone and Friends
  • Margaret Maron Presents Malice Domestic (Malice Domestic, #8)
  • The Case of William Smith (Miss Silver, #13)
  • The Spy's Bedside Book
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents Death Do Us Part: New Stories about Love, Lust, and Murder
Sara Paretsky is a modern American author of detective fiction. Paretsky was raised in Kansas, and graduated from the state university with a degree in political science. She did community service work on the south side of Chicago in 1966 and returned in 1968 to work there. She ultimately completed a Ph.D. in history at the University of Chicago, entitled The Breakdown of Moral Philosophy in New E ...more
More about Sara Paretsky...