Start by marking “Batman: War Games, Act 3: Endgame ” as Want to Read:
Batman: War Games, Act 3: Endgame

Batman: War Games, Act 3: Endgame (Batman: War Games Act 3)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  1,878 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
The conclusion of a Gotham-wide gang war that threatens to destroy the city. Ending this will cost Batman the life of one of his allies and the allegiance of the Gotham PD.

Published October 1st 2005 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

In this conclusion Batman has to save Gotham from complete chaos. There's a lot about the other Bat Family members in this one and even with the conclusion there are other problems that will arise in later graphic novels.

Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Batman: War Games series finishes in Act 3: Endgame. It is intense, emotional and suspenseful. The action that is depicted is incredible and the story line is finished in a way that doesn't completely satisfy you, it makes you want more. I really enjoyed reading this series and the conclusion of it makes me sad and yet curious as to what will happen next. I will be highly anticipating the future before reading the sequel, Batman: War Crimes. Overall, just another interesting and wonderful Ba ...more
Oct 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
A solid Batman outing written and illustrated by a plethora of DC staffers and folks brought in especially for this story. Each issue was written, inked, and drawn by a different person, so the variety of art is pretty broad, though the story is so cohesive you'd never know it was different authors doing the leg work. A good weekend's diversion.
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
OMG. That's one doozy of an ending. Let's just say I'm glad I don't live in Gotham City.
tony dillard jr
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Orpheus, the vigilante hero that Batman handpicked to be his proxy in a war game scenario to control the gangs of Gotham, has been murdered. Without him, Batman's mission to restore order to his city, just got even more harder to accomplish. It's even more taxing as a long thought dead enemy of the Dark Knight has knows of Batman's plans and is impersonating Orpheus in order to put Gotham under their control Adding to the problem, the new Police Commissioner just ordered the GCPD to shoot any a ...more
John Wiswell
Sep 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read all three volumes of this hulk in one day, which attests to it being a quick read, but mostly to it being a compelling read. I was up until 2:00 AM blowing through the third volume, where the mystery antagonist being outed and becoming visibly active kicks the story up that last notch, especially since he/she is a totally different kind of quirky villain in that darkly understated way. It’s slow to start and has a poor sense of the city really being in chaos since the story is told almost ...more
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bats
Holy CRAP that was intense. I screamed at various members of my family to stop talking to me when they came into my room during the reading of the final 2 volumes.

I don't even know how to review this other than: READ IT. Is it perfect? No. Is it the BEST writing? No. Are there some parts I skipped over because it was like "ENOUGH ALREADY, I GET IT, THE NEWS THINKS BATMAN IS EVIL"? HELL yes. However, was this one of the most intense and suspenseful series I have read in a very, very, very, ver
Oct 15, 2012 added it

Unfortunately flat and derived.

Throughout the story arc, I felt like there was a rather absurd amount of attempted character development, without ever actually becoming invested in the fate of the players. Stephanie's mistake was almost palpable from the earliest scene, and the rogue's gallery reunion seemed to draw heavily on the success of the Hush arc.
Grayson's derring-do at his high school was particularly poorly executed, and left me feeling like I had just witnessed a secondary school s
Evan Dossey
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
For the purposes of Goodreads, Act 3 will stand-in for the entire event.

I read "War Games" out of curiosity over its controversial 'death' scene. I've been told that the entire story was an 'excuse to kill off Stephanie brown,' which doesn't seem entirely true, given that it re-positions the major Gotham crime families under the control of Black Mask and furthers the relationships of the Bat-family in reasonably significant ways.

That said, Stephanie's story is the significant emotional foundatio
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's hard to review stuff like this without giving away key plot points that make the story is great as it is. There are moments here where I thought 'oh crap, didn't see that coming!' and I don't know if it's because I'm not as immersed in this era of Batman or if it really was an 'oh crap, didn't see that coming!' moment for others who read it as well.

I'm not so versed when it comes to Orpheus or Onyx and I didn't even really remember there was ever another Batgirl besides Barbara Gordon so th
Jan 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Batman's war-game fails because Black Mask is able to replace Orpheus, something that could never have happened if Batman had known that Spoiler was intending to enact his purely mental exercise. No time to cry over spilled milk, Black Mask first tries to kill everyone in the amphitheater. When our heroes stop that plan, he takes advantage of the shared animosity for Batman to attack Oracle in the clock-tower, claiming it's the bat-cave.

Something very sad happens, I won't lie, it made me cry a
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was absolutely a-ma-zing!
The thrills this book gave me..
For me the Black Mask was one hell of a villian.. The way he took over the orchestrated actions and bent it to his will.. Very nice move.
The heroes had a hard time, seen almost as bad guys themselves..
At a couple of moments I was actually thinking this was going to be the downfall of The Bat and his team.. But of course, who can stop the Bat for real, right? ;)
I have to say I got tears in my eyes at the end.. That sure was a difficu
Emily Green
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
In War Games, Batman, who usually avoids any kind of help from other masked heroes, is forced to recruit Catwoman, Nightwing, and others in order to get Gotham back under control.

Batman, who thought he had a plan, is shocked by the appearance of an imposter Orpheus. Every semblance of control he thought he had on the situation is gone.

The third volume in the tale, Endgame features the deliciously evil Black Mask, who you can't help but hope will not make it out alive. Between him and a frantic
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
After finishing the last volume of this arc I'm left quite satisfied. I hate nothing more than when a good story crumbles at the end with no real climax. This thankfully did not fall into that category. Although the war is not over yet!

I really enjoyed reading these books. I love Bat family and this had a mix of everyone which was great. You really get a feel for each character in the story. I enjoyed seeing the police and the public lose faith, and eventually hate the Batman again. I always enj
Benjamin Featherston
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Of the many Batman crossover events (Knightfall, No Man's Land, Bruce Wayne, Murderer?), War Games is easily the best executed. Although multiple authors and artists contribute to each volume, the story blends seamlessly between issues. The villain is compelling, the story engaging right up to a genuinely exciting conclusion. Although novice Bat-readers may have trouble following the cast of newer characters who have taken up the mantle of established heroes (Cassandra Cain, Tim Drake, Stephanie ...more
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I read this Jul 2011, without Parts 1-2, and re-read it again today after having read 1-2 yesterday. A lot better with all the back story. Good because there are severe consequences for everyone, and I hate it when major storylines happen and yet, no major consequences occur. Great finish to the story arc, very strong work by all involved.
May 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Does no one think to insist that Batman lock up his secret plans? This is the same goofy case that happened with the JLA. Anyway, the final volume ties up loose ends of the narrative, but isn't entirely an ending, just the end of the volume. I will say that I particularly enjoyed the Gotham riots and chaos. These are great in a setting like Gotham.
Indika De Silva
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Describing the last book of the War Games trilogy is difficult as it contains spoilers about the Spoiler... (If you would pardon the poor pun.)

This book is epic. Batman and his associates fall from one peril to another. A read exciting read.

Not sure if they left out some issues towards the end or if there is just some missing scenes that I think would have cleared up some things at the end and really needed to be included. The end felt a bit sudden and rushed and not tied up neatly enough. Love the art and panel set-ups.
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Good conclusion to a satisfying story arc. I love when the whole Batman gang is together. I like these stories that span multiple titles. It is interesting to see how the art keeps changing. This was a good series.
Jan Geerling
Jun 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Not impressed by the artwork of various artists. The story tried to be Epic but failed to really touch me. The only things I really liked where the team-dynamics, the return of Tim Drake and the question if Batman is really a blessing for Gotham or another danger.
Awesome. Could not have ended any other way and actually been satisfying. Gritty 'till the last page.
Brandon Forsyth
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Thoroughly meh. It's all been done before, better.
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Now that the war ended, the Gotham City and the people must pick up and clean up the mess. I guess it's safe to say I'm okay with superheroes stay in their worlds lol
Dean Olson
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I gave this an extra star just for the fate of Stephanie Brown.
May 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2015
Interesting ending, messy art work and half volume of convoluted dialogues.
ABSOLUTE RATING: {2.5/5 stars} (Rounded Up)

Sep 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
  • Batman: As the Crow Flies
  • Red Robin, Vol. 2: Collision
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 3: Absolute Power
  • Batman: The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul
Andersen Gabrych is a Northern California native. He’s written Detective Comics, Batman, Batgirl, Catwoman, and Omega Men for DC Comics, and is the author of the original graphic novel, Fog Town.

As an actor he appeared most notably in the award-winning Edge of Seventeen and at HBO’s Aspen Comedy Festival. He currently lives in L.A. with his cat, Moses, and is the co-creator of Pyrasphere, “Hollywo
More about Andersen Gabrych...

Batman: War Games (2 books)
  • Batman: War Games Book One