Start by marking “A Death In Vienna (Gabriel Allon, #4)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
A Death In Vienna

Daniel Silva

A Death In Vienna (Gabriel Allon #4)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  15,935 Ratings  ·  707 Reviews
Gabriel Allon hasn't been back to Vienna since his wife and child died there in a terrorist bombing. But when his mentor in the Israeli intelligence agency dispatches him to the Austrian capitol to investigate a murderous explosion at the Wartime Claims and Inquiry Office, his presence alerts the attention of police officials who have reasons to stand in the way of his inv ...more
Published (first published November 12th 2003)

Barbara

Multi-lingual Israeli spy/art restorer Gabriel Allon is restoring a painting in Venice when a bomb destroys the 'Wartime Claims and Inquiries Office' in Vienna, Austria. Gabriel's friend Eli Lavon is badly wounded and Eli's staff is killed. When Gabriel travels to Vienna to investigate he meets an elderly Holocaust survivor who claims that a prominent, wealthy, local businessman - Ludwig Vogel - is really a Nazi war criminal named Erich Radek.

Before long the elderly Holocaust survivor
Zbegniew
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espionage
This is 4th novel featuring the protagonist Gabriel Allon, a semi-retired Mossad agent whose day job is now as one of the world's foremost art restorers. The story starts in Venice and includes stops in Argentina, Israel and Munich but as the title suggests it mostly revolves around characters and events in Vienna. The plot concerns a former SS member who has changed his identity and now seeks to bring his hard right-wing brand of politics to Austria. It deals with Austria's lingering anti-Semit ...more
Susan Kelley
Set across Europe and in Israel, A Death in Vienna is a spy tale intent on righting some of the wrongs of The Holocaust. Part-time spy Gabriel Allon is sent to Vienna by The Office (think CIA, but deadlier) to investigate a bombing at the Wartime Claims and Inquiries office. Following clues to the identity of a Nazi officer, Gabriel travels the globe with an assassin hot on his tail.

While this book was very interesting, and I learned more about the atrocities of the Nazis, I can't say it was ri
Steve
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Favorite installment in the series so far!

Rock solid airplane reading, with the added benefit of lots (and lots) of travel and fun venues (Buenos Aires, Jerusalem, Munich, Rome, Vienna, ... and Northern Virginia, ahem), some extremely creative use of history, historical research and archives, and art and religion and banking and ... OK ... intrigue and violence and ... Take my word for it, there's a lot going on here.

I admit I was a little slow on the uptake and was relieved (reaffirmed?) when -
Mafs
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good (literary) surprise and a tough reminder that sometimes fiction is a classroom for reality.
Very well-researched and appealing, it got me hooked from almost the begging. Although it got me on my nerves a couple of times by objectifying female tertiary female characters, I'll never forget the intense story of Gabriel's mother on that death march from the nazi concentration camp and how she represents lots of strong women and people who had to endure the horrors of Holocaust.

I'm de
Nuno Peralta
A minha estreia com Daniel Silva e fiquei conquistado. Já andava há algum tempo para o ler, mas foi sempre ficando para segundo plano. Agora que, por razões profissionais, conheci Viena, achei por bem pegar neste livro. Em boa hora o fiz! História com cabeça, tronco e membros, ficção mas com um fio condutor agarrado à História real e personagens muito bem conseguidas.
E agora, já sei que se seguem os restantes livros de Gabriel Allon... :)
Tim
Dec 19, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too much about European collaborators and empathetic priests for the Nazis. Not near enough growth and vengeance for Gabriel Allon. 2 of 10 stars
Jake
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espionage
The final work in Daniel Silva's Nazi troika of the Gabriel Allon canon (along with my favorite "The English Assassin" and "The Confessor") is another steady read. What I appreciated about this one is that there isn't as much over-the-top violence or romance, rather a gradual build up to the conclusion (which I still can't decide if I liked or not but I liked the book enough to forgive). Silva writes intelligent thrillers and yet they are very well-paced and readable. I've got the next book in t ...more
Maria Carmo
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
These are books that are excellently written, albeit a bit repetitive... Like a cook who found a good recipe and just uses it with slight alterations. Of course it is enthusing and full of suspense, well written and researched... I am going to go on reading the Allon series and I am sure that I will still find cause to give four stars again.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 12 September 2016.
Joshua Willis
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Death in Vienna is the fourth novel in a series of novels by Daniel Silva featuring art restorer and spy Gabriel Allon. Silva is a very skilled author and I have enjoyed his novels. After the first novel the "Kill Artist" the next three novels, "The English Assassin," "The Confessor," and "A Death in Vienna" deal with the sins of the Holocaust. They obviously are fictional but they deal with themes that are true and I'm passionate about history so the subject intrigued me. By reading this nove ...more
Jimmy Osorio
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Algumas passagens de Morte em Viena:

"Ele nunca se lembrou de ter ouvido a explosão. Reveka e Sarah foram engolidas numa bola de fogo e, em seguida, projetadas pela onda de choque. A porta explodiu para fora. Lavon foi erguido como um brinquedo, com os braços escanchados e costas arqueadas como um ginasta. O seu voo foi como num sonho. Sentiu-se virar e virar novamente. Não teve memória do impacto. Apenas sabia que estava deitado de costas sobre a neve, numa tempestade de vidros partidos."

"O rost
Peter
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes fiction does a better job of getting at the truth of a situation than non-fiction. This is true in particular when dealing with meaning and implication where there's little disagreement about the facts, but what to make of those facts is unsettled.

When considering the Holocaust, the issue is not one of fact, except to those who wish to ignore proven facts for political purposes. Rather the issue is how do we get people to understand the unimaginable. In three novels that deal with to u
Susan
Oct 08, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spynovels
Though Israeli agent Gabriel Allon's unraveling of the mystery behind the bombing of an aged Nazi-hunter's office keeps the reader turning pages, its real value lies in the haunting story that is told about Gabriel's mother. This novel is most compelling--and painful to read--when author Daniel Silva uses it to shed more light on Nazi crimes during the Holocaust. I hadn't known, for example, that Austria had been particularly fertile ground for Nazi recruitment (though it shouldn't be surprising ...more
Sandi
Nicely done espionage fiction, featuring art restorer and former Israeli agent Gabriel Allon. The plot deftly mixed historical facts and globe trotting action. Listened to the audio version which was narrated by John Lee who did an excellent job with all different character's nationalities.
Joyce Lagow
Apr 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
4th in the Gabriel Allon series.[return][return]Gabriel Allon is an Israeli Secret Service agent who poses as Mario Delvecchio, a very well-known and highly respected art restorer. At the moment, he is working in Venice, and living with his lover Chiara. But Gabriel s life is not his own; he owes his allegiance to Israel and to Ari Shamron, the Old Man of the Israeli Secret Service. Whenever Shamron appears, Gabriel embarks on a mission of death to track down and kill those responsible for blow ...more
John
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daniel Silva's novel, A Death in Vienna, isn't a typical spy thriller or a volume that simply plunges the reader into foreign espionage. Rather, it is a story the touches the conscience of every reader as their eyes become opened to some of the greatest crimes committed during World War II. This book opened my understanding and, consequently, led me to the Yad Vashem (the Jerusalem Holocaust Museum) website and with tears in my eyes I saw the only actual photos in the world of men, women, and ch ...more
William Bentrim
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Death In Vienna by Daniel Silva

Another extraordinarily detailed action adventure this book takes place not long after The Confessor. It is a more detailed delving into the Holocaust.

This review is sadly repetitious of the previous review of The Confessor. The Kill Artist and The Heist and finally The Mark of the Assassin read way back in 2009 all illustrate the style of Silva as well as the character Gabriel Allon, an Israeli assassin. This book holds true to the style and as the others keeps
Pnmp44yahoo.com
I like this series as it's a different POV than the normal espionage books available. I like that Gabriel Allon has other talents in life than just being an assassin, but sometimes I do find it hard to believe that he can be so unaware of the 'bad guys' and often times is saved by actions and choices of colleagues. *That same quality makes him more human than some characters in other series that seem to be All Knowing and Superior in every way- so it's not a complete deal breaker.

This book star
Shawn
The previous two Allon novels and this one sort of form a trilogy with a focus on the Holocaust. The complicity of the Swiss and the Church are the focus of the first two. This one focuses on the broader complicity of many other countries evident in the post-war world. What makes this particular novel stand out is the detailed point of view of Holocaust survivors. This is integral to the plot; it provides the motivations for many of the characters and it causes the reader to feel the need for ju ...more
Tita
Mar 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meus, livros-2009
Neste livro, Gabriel é enviado para Viena para investigar um atentado à organização de Eli Lavon, um velho amigo, que vitimou duas funcionárias e deixou o amigo em estado crítico.
No seguimento das pistas, Gabriel é assombrado por um rosto familiar, mas desagradável nesta sua busca, descobre acontecimentos relatados pela sua própria mãe, durante o Holocausto.

É um livro mais cruel, com passagens bastante reais do Holocausto, tais como, relatos sobre o que acontecia nos campos de concentração, um p
Paula
Feb 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story of a Nazi war criminal hunt. It is another viewpoint of the horrors inflicted upon the jews during the Nazi regime.
Interesting to me in this story is the suggestion of the Vatican's involvement in helping Austrian and German war criminals escape capture and aiding them in disappearing into another identity mainly in South America, Argentina heading the list at the time of Peron's administration.
I understand this book is one of a series about Gabriel, the main Israeli hunter in t
Mukundan Srinivasan
A complete, pacy and riveting spy thriller. Gabriel Allon is sent to investigate a murder attempt on his friend (much like "The Confessor"). First few pages were smoggy kind but picked up pace once it started to travel in the path of exposing a mass murderer of Jews during the Nazi regime who is living under false identity. After nail biting twists, turns and travel, the climax was also appropriate. Cannot put this book down. I'm sad that I finished reading this book. Eager to read more of Danie ...more
Gary
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 4th book in the Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva. This series is getting better and better as the characters develop and more sub plots are related. This spy series is different to my normal Mystery Thriller genre but rarely fails to deliver. The stories are full of action and intrigue and delivered at a break neck pace and I don't think it will be that long before I start his next instalment.
Dana
Jun 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't have picked up this author, except my mom left one (The Secret Servant - which I loved) at my house. This is my 2nd book with Gabriel Allon, Israeli spy, as the main character. The theme of this (it's part of a series, I've learned) has to do with WWII/Holocaust, specifically the surfacing of a Nazi war criminal in Austria. The writing is very good and the storyline kept me intrigued the whole time.
Becky
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Silva and Gabriel Allon. This is book 4 in the series but you don't need to read them in order. Complex plots, complex characters, plenty of intrigue. Good guys who sometimes/often wonder if the end really does justify the means. Evil guys willing to take any approach to get what they want without any remorse or regret. Despite death, evil, tragedy, and sorrow, the good guys always prevail. Silva writes a great journey for them and their foes.

Time to choose another Allon tale.
Kerry
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding. A remarkable adventure that brings to life the horrible pain and suffering of the Holocaust victims and their families. The last in Silva's trilogy related to the Holocaust a necessary journey.
Anne Germana
An ugly time in history

The second world war and especially the sorrowful Holocaust history is something we must never forget. Any attempt to eradicate an entire race must be met with strong g resistance. This book was impossible to put down.
Carla Geraldes
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trocados
Mais um livro que não desiludiu.
Alan Cook
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All Daniel Silva's books are packed with action, but this one is especially important because it includes a lot of history about what the Nazis did to the Jews during World War II.
Around the World ...: Discussion for A Death in Vienna 10 65 Dec 15, 2012 07:23PM
  • The Ghost War (John Wells, #2)
  • Redemption Games (John Rain, #4)
  • The Last Patriot (Scot Harvath, #7)
  • Spy (Alexander Hawke, #4)
  • The Nearest Exit (The Tourist, #2)
  • Protect and Defend (Mitch Rapp, #10)
  • The Hunted
  • The Invisible (Ryan Kealey, #3)
  • Allah's Scorpion (Kirk McGarvey #11)
Daniel Silva was born in Michigan in 1960 and raised in California where he received his BA from Fresno State. Silva began his writing career as a journalist for United Press International (UPI), traveling in the Middle East and covering the Iran-Iraq war, terrorism and political conflicts. From UPI he moved to CNN, where he eventually became executive producer of its Washington-based public polic ...more
More about Daniel Silva...

Gabriel Allon (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon, #1)
  • The English Assassin (Gabriel Allon, #2)
  • The Confessor (Gabriel Allon, #3)
  • Prince of Fire (Gabriel Allon, #5)
  • The Messenger (Gabriel Allon, #6)
  • The Secret Servant (Gabriel Allon, #7)
  • Moscow Rules (Gabriel Allon, #8)
  • The Defector (Gabriel Allon, #9)
  • The Rembrandt Affair (Gabriel Allon, #10)
  • Portrait of a Spy (Gabriel Allon, #11)

“The Germans are fond of saying that only Austria could convince the world that Beethoven was an Austrian and Hitler was a German.” 2 likes
“Aktion 1005,” 0 likes