Start by marking “El Viejo y el Mar” as Want to Read:
El Viejo y el Mar

El Viejo y el Mar

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  574,302 Ratings  ·  16,714 Reviews
It is the story of an old Cuban fisherman and his supreme ordeal: a relentless, agonizing battle with a giant marlin far out in the Gulf Stream. Using the simple, powerful language of a fable, Hemingway takes the timeless themes of courage in the face of defeat and personal triumph won from loss and transforms them into a magnificent twentieth-century classic.
Published March 1st 2001 by Panamericana Editorial (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about El Viejo y el Mar, please sign up.

Marilyn There are so many great kids' books! What is wrong with a kid reading kids' books? Save this one for later when he can understand the depth of the…moreThere are so many great kids' books! What is wrong with a kid reading kids' books? Save this one for later when he can understand the depth of the book.

Shiloh by Naylor
Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Lad A Dog by Terhune
Lassie
Rascal (it's about a raccoon) by North

There is a great series about a pig named Freddy who has all sorts of adventures. Walter Brooks wrote his series in the 1950's. IF you can find any of them they are wonderful. Freddy becomes a detective, he writes a newspaper, he goes to school and plays baseball. He travels to Florida and also to the North Pole.
(less)
Ian Williams I don't know what your understanding of the book was, but I know mine. And for all the allusion and after-the-fact significance, I found this book…moreI don't know what your understanding of the book was, but I know mine. And for all the allusion and after-the-fact significance, I found this book fairly dull. Hemingway's writing style doesn't work for me so well when the character is in isolation, and without dialogue. It was, however, moving.(less)

Matt
Nov 28, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mermaids
Worst book ever.

Just throw the fucking fish back in. Fuck.
Sara
Apr 22, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anyone-fiction
Oh, my good lord in heaven. Cut your line, land your boat and go to McDonald's! Just as in the case of The Great Gatsby, I understand the book. Yes, I know it changed the way American writers write. I also understand that it celebrates the ridiculous American idea that you're only a REAL man if you've done something entirely purposeless, but really dangerous, in pursuit of making yourself look like the bull with the biggest sexual equipment. Get over it, already! Go home and clean out the refrig ...more
Stephen
hemingway-1-1 v2

My very first time reading Papa and I absolutely LOVED IT. Sometimes the experience you have with a book can be effected by many things beyond the narrative itself, and I think that is certainly the case here. While I believe I would have loved this story regardless, there is no doubt that the stars aligned themselves perfectly to make this a singularly special read for me.

Let me explain...

Last year, I was in Napa with my wife and two of our best friends celebrating my (oh shit!!) 40th birthday
Matt
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-novels
I read this as a young man and was disappointed. It didn't work for me. I thought it was about a crazy old man gone off the reservation, picking a fight with an innocent fish while ranting about the New York Yankees ("I would like to take the great DiMaggio fishing. They say his father was a fisherman...").

I picked it up again, after the passage of some years, and found it incredibly poignant.

It's a simple story. There's an old man, Santiago, who is a fisherman fallen on hard times. He is cared
Madeline
"There isn't any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The sharks are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is shit. What goes beyond is what you see beyond when you know."

-Ernest Hemingway
Will Byrnes
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is intimidating to offer a truly critical look at such a classic, so we will ease into it with a few images.

The GOP has offered us a ready-made item to begin this list, and yes, I know that John Stewart already snagged this one and threw it back.
description

I turned up a visual art concept that fits in, for a restaurant based on EH themes:description

Although I did not sit for this photo, the resemblance is indeed strikingdescription

And, of course
description
The Old Man and the Cee Lo.

I suppose am certain there are plenty more images one
Riku Sayuj
The wolves will come...

I started this in high spirits as my updates show: "fifth re-read, how thrilling it is to plumb new depths in old wells of wisdom..."

But, as I read on towards the last few pages, I couldn't shake the feeling that this is Moby Dick set in an alternate universe.

In this alternate universe:

The Giant Leviathan is a noble, unseen fish - steady and without malice.
Captain Ahab is transformed into a gentle, wise old zen master. Santiago - a humble fisherman with no legendary crew t
Brina
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ernest Hemingway is considered one of the masters of American 20th century fiction. Garnering from his life experiences, his novels reflect on his time as a newspaper reporter and correspondent in a Europe during both the inner war and war years. A member of the lost generation, Hemingway was the first of his group to have a major work published. In addition to all of the accolades bestowed upon him, Hemingway is considered along Steinbeck to be a master storyteller, especially of short stories. ...more
Jibran
My big fish must be somewhere.

Many years ago when I read The Old Man and the Sea I thought it was going nowhere, that it was too simple and ordinary to be of any consequence. On a second reading, however, my view changed and I ended up loving it. What I mistook for repetition was a literary device for emphasis and the boat, like the story, that I judged to be unmoving in the rolling seas was caught in a whirlpool churning the waters in its depth so that the boat and the old man at the sea were n
Fernando
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Cuando yo era chico, a la edad de diez años, acostumbraba a acompañar a mi papá a pescar. A mí no me gustaba la pesca, pero me encantaba verlo a él en todo el esplendor de su pasión. Mi padre era carpintero, pero los domingos acostumbraba a subir a su lancha “Gui-Fer II” que había reconstruido (era un bote de salvamento de un viejo barco pesquero llamado "Cristo Rey") y pasaba toda la mañana y la tarde pescando en su querida laguna “Brava”.
Una tarde, nos llevó a un lugar más lejano llamado “La c
Ahmad  Ebaid
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: أدب
"لماذا يستيقظ من تقدمت بهم السن مبكرا !! ألكي يفوزوا بيوم أطول عن الآخرين"

والجملة السابقة من الرواية, تلخص شعور ارنست همنجواي في سنين كهولته .

هناك الكثير من الكلام يدور عن الرواية والرمزية التي بها, والحقيقة أنا لم أحست بأي رمزية فيها أبدا, هي قصة حلوة جدا عشت فيها كل لحظة مع "سانتياجو" وصراعه.

دكتور جابريال وهبة ملخصها مع تحليل نقدي رائع, وأقتبس منه:
"أما الرمز في قصص همنجواي فلا يدخل وعي القاريء كرمز أبدا"

و هذا تقريبا السبب لعدم إحساسي بالرمز, و لما اخذ نوبل للآداب عنها كنموذج للعمل الأدبي ا
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Denzel Washington from "The Equalizer" (hehe)
3.5 stars but rounding it up because it's my first review for the new year. Happy 2016, Goodreaders!

"No one should be alone in their old age. But it is unavoidable."

And so the old man went to the ocean alone on his skiff to catch some fish but ended up being caught by the big fish instead, a fish so big, it controlled the skiff and took its own course at the sea. The big question is why didn't the old man just let go of the fish? It would have made his life easier. He was wise wasn't he? But
Lyn
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A masterpiece.

Like a fable, this has become a part of our cultural consciousness. Santiago's simple heroism is a benchmark for all who persevere and endure.

Foad
خیلى خیلى وقت پیش، زمانى كه هنوز نوجوانى بودم، داستانى نوشتم به تقلید از پیرمرد و دریاى همینگوى، ولى با لحنى به مقتضاى سنم، رمانتیك و شاعرانه. داستان ماجراى پیرمردى ست كه از این كه سیرى و گرسنگى خود و خانواده اش به دست بازى هاى دریا باشد، به تنگ آمده. روزى، پس از چهار ماه بدون صید ماندن، چهار ماه گرسنگى، تورش را بر مى دارد و مى رود تا صید اصلى را به تور بیندازد. نه ماهى هاى كوچك، نه نهنگ هاى بزرگ، خود خود دریا را.

خانواده اش از این جنون به وحشت مى افتند و مى خواهند متوقفش كنند، مى گویند: اراده ى
Nayra.Hassan
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
كبرياءك كرجل يكمن في انجازك
..مهما كان عمرك ..او نسبك.. او حجمك ..
تنتهي كرجل يوم يموت فيك الامل. ..و من فينا لم يشعر في وقت ما انه سانتياجو
اربع و ثمانين يوما متتالية يا سانتياجو لم تفز فيها بسمكة واحدة
هل مللت؟
هل ياست ؟
هل انصاعت ذراعيك الواهنتين و تركت السمكة؟
ثلاث ايام يا سانتياجو و انت تصارع سمكة عملاقة تفوق مركبك حجما🐋

بقدرة و سلاسة. .يؤكد لنا همنجواي بوجود الشر و الاذى و المصائب و الكوارث..
بل يعترف همنجواي بتقلب الظروف التي يصعب تحليلها او اعداد العدة لها
في هذا النمط من الصراعات🌊 بينك و بين
Ahmad Sharabiani
521. The Old Man and The Sea, Ernest Hemingway
مرد پیر و دریا - پیرمرد و دریا - ارنست همینگوی (نگاه) ادبیات
عنوان: مرد پیر و دریا؛ نویسنده: ارنست همینگوی؛ مترجم: م.خ. یحیوی؛ تهران، کانون معرفت، 1331، در 176 ص؛ چاپ دیگر: 1340؛
مترجم: سعیدی، تهران، نشر شهریار، ؟؟، در 175 ص؛
مترجم: رضا مرعشی، تهران، معراجی، ؟؟، در 128 ص؛
عنوان: پیرمرد و دریا؛ نویسنده: ارنست همینگوی؛ مترجم: نازی عظیما؛ تهران، امیرکبیر، 1354، در 151 ص؛ چاپ سوم 1388، چاپ دیگر: تهران، افق، 1389، در 158 ص؛ شابک: 9789643696108؛ چاپ چهارم 139
Ian "Marvin" Grayejoy
The Old Man and the Allegory

This book might just be an allegory of Darwinist Capitalism and the survival of the most aggressive and hungry in the world of corporate enterprise and rivalry.

Hey, What's the Big Idea?

It describes what it feels like to have one big idea or to invent something for which the market is not ready.

You struggle and wrestle with your "big fish" for ages, until in your mind you have caught it and perfected the way to reel it in, nobody is watching when you start the journey
Henry Avila
Jun 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to Henry by: nobody
The tail, excuse me, The tale of an elderly fisherman and his not so good friend , a 1,500 lbs. marlin. They meet for lunch and immediately fight over the menu (he wants the fish , as the main course). This disagreement causes some friction. Boys will be boys. So eventually, the two, decide to take a long leisurely voyage , to cool off. What harm can happen? Imagine, Cain and Abel , without the brotherly love...
Nandakishore Varma
"You have control over only your karma: never on its fruits. So because of [concern over] the fruits of your karma, never shirk from it."

This is most probably the most quoted, used, misused, praised and maligned verse from the Bhagavad Gita, where Lord Krishna instructs Arjuna on the Karma-yoga. It has been praised as the epitome of virtue to do your duty regardless of the consequences: it has been severely criticised as the upper caste Hindu spiritual drug to force a person to follow his caste
ميقات الراجحي
هذا العمل أحببته جدًا – رغم أن الكثير يشعر تجاهه بملل – وسبب حبي له حيث أني ولدت بالقرب من البحر ولم أعرف الكثير عن العالم الآخر أول سنواتي سوى البحر ورائحته، ولهذا أعرف جيدًا ماذا يعني تجمّع هذه الثلاثية (صياد / سمكة / وقت) في البدء يعوّل الأول على الثاني وثانيًا يستنفد الثاني، السمكة كل مالديه من الثالث، الوقت. لكن يأتي دون حسبان لكل ماسبق عامل الخبرة الذي يحتاج أن يعي حجم الصبر وأجد في عملية الصيد ثم تلاقي وليس تشابه بين الوقت والخبر. هذا مالعب عليه (همنجواي) في هذه الرواية.

تمثل الرواية حالة
Councillor
On the first glance, The Old Man and the Sea is a very simple story about a Cuban fisherman fighting against a giant marlin. On the second glance ... it is still a very simple story. You won't find any complex characters in this story, you won't find even the smallest trace of complexity. One can try to find symbolisms in this story (and will most likely succeed), but as Ernest Hemingway said himself:

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description

So, reading this book was my personal penance for reading a rather silly YA fantasy freebie, Obsidian. If I read something particularly shallow and brainless, I make a conscious effort to balance it out with a classic or something that makes me actually use my brain cells.

At first Hemingway's typical simple, spare prose and his testosterone-fueled values were getting on my nerves. Digression here: one of the funnier things I've read was a piece on McSweeney's titled "Toto's 'Africa' by Ernest He
Greg
Aug 17, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the literate in the broadest sense.
Sad book. Read it, but know it is sad.
This is probably written at about a 4th grade reading level, and the audience is at least that broad.

I'll spare you the christ imagery chit-chat.

Why did Ernest Hemingway cross the road?

To die. In the rain.
Matthew
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, library
This was my very first Hemingway and I loved it! However, I am not sure if it broke me for future Hemingway novels. This one was so perfect in its simpleness. When I got to other Hemingway novels it was almost like there was too much in them - I wanted the basics of this book again. That is not to say that I have not enjoyed his other books, but if I had read the others first and wasn't tempted to compare them to this, I would have rated them higher.

So, if you want to read lots of Hemingway, may
Dan Schwent
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
After eighty-five fishless days, Santiago hooks more than he bargained for. Can he battle everything the sea throws at him to land his prize?

In the interest of reading a wider variety of things, I snapped this up like an eighteen-foot marlin bites a baited hook. It was definitely worth a read.

The Old Man and the Sea is the tale of an Old Man. And a Sea. It's man vs. nature at its finest. Hemingway's language is spare but very powerful. I felt every wound and heartbreak along with Santiago and wa
Jessica
May 19, 2008 marked it as aborted-efforts  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dicklits
I was very surprised when I finally tried to read this, and discovered that it bored the living crap out of me. I just couldn't get into it, I don't know why, maybe it was just my mood or something....? I mean, I do like Hemingway. I love the sea, and baseball. I am relatively fond of both old men and little boys (not like that, you fool).... and this is supposed to be really terrific and all, but I just.... I mean, I could've finished it of course, it's short, and it wouldn't have been like tor ...more
Samra Yousuf
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t remember the exact time, when I started forgetting things, let alone the reason be a medical or psychological. I forget remembering my forgetfulness even at times, and things go irrevocably wrong. But our dear brain, do quiver things with us, our memory is discerning in keeping things, and the only reminiscence I have in all its luminous shape is of the way to school, of the old man I used to pass in my way daily.
There was something in his eyes, even as a child I could sense that, or I w
Cierra
May 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a huge Hemingway fan, but I do have to say that this book is one of my favorites and the best that Hemingway wrote. What an incredible tale of human fortitude and self-validation. I love this story so much. I forget I am reading each time: the words are constructed in such a way that I visualize the whole story as though I were an invisible spectator. I love the descriptions of the old man's hands, and the whole story is told with unbelievable detail. We can all identify with the epic st ...more
فهد الفهد
May 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-america
العجوز والبحر

يترجم عنوان رواية هيمنغواي الشهيرة هذه عادة ً بالشيخ والبحر، ولكني أفضل هذه الترجمة (العجوز والبحر)، فكلمة الشيخ محملة بالوقار، بالحكمة، فالشيخ لا يفتش عن ذاته، لقد وصل إليها وحازها منذ وقت بعيد، بينما كلمة العجوز تحمل دلالات أخرى، فالعجوز هو الرجل الذي وصل إلى مرحلة العجز البدني، بدايات تهدم القوى، ومن ورائها البصيرة والحكمة، إنه نموذج الإنسان الذي يعيش صراعه الأخير، صراعه مع جسده الذي يفنى، ذاكرته التي تضمحل، وهو صراع للأسف غير بطولي، ليس في نظر الناس على الأقل.

كتب أرنست هيمنغوا
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: The Old Man and the Sea 1 2 Aug 12, 2017 12:02AM
The Old Man and the Sea Book Review 1 5 Aug 08, 2017 10:54AM
Catching up on Cl...: July 2017 - The Old Man and the Sea 93 125 Aug 03, 2017 12:58PM
Never too Late to...: Buddy Read 'The Old Man and the Sea' 71 52 Jul 15, 2017 12:41PM
Sometimes perseverance and obsession are dangerous. 2 8 Jul 09, 2017 08:38PM
  • The Able McLaughlins
  • History
  • Lamb in His Bosom
  • The Pearl
Ernest Miller Hemingway was an American author and journalist. His economical and understated style had a strong influence on 20th-century fiction, while his life of adventure and his public image influenced later generations. Hemingway produced most of his work between the mid-1920s and the mid-1950s, and won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954. He published seven novels, six short story collec ...more
More about Ernest Hemingway...

“Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.” 2388 likes
“But man is not made for defeat," he said. "A man can be destroyed but not defeated.” 1571 likes