Start by marking “Echoes of the Dance” as Want to Read:
Echoes of the Dance

Echoes of the Dance

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  408 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
In the mellow stone house of his childhood, Roly Carradine has found refuge from a broken marriage. Here he welcomes Kate, who has just lost her husband, and young Daisy Quin, a dancer recovering from a back injury. Roly’s son Nat lives not far away, and he must suffer visits of his unsympathetic mother Monica, Roly’s ex-wife. All seek peace and quiet, but the disclosure o ...more
Published April 3rd 2007 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published April 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Echoes of the Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Echoes of the Dance

Anne Brooke
This is a rather turgid and peculiar blend of the worst kind of American cod-psychology and a Mills & Boon novel. It’s very overwritten and contains long scenes where characters think through their emotions and situations in great and laborious detail, either by themselves or with other people. It was all very exhausting and at times unintentionally amusing.

That’s not to say the basic premise isn’t interesting, as it is. Daisy is forced to reconsider her dancing career due to injury, Kate is
Jul 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
It is summer and the best time to catch up on Marcia Willet's novels. This one includes characters from previous books. I love her books. She is often compared to Rosemund Pilcher, much more recognized here in the US but I like her books better. SHe deals with modern people and contemporary situations set in the backdrop of English country living. SHe is a must read if you like cottages, tea and dogs running about the countryside!
Jul 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
I listened to this book as a MP3 download. I thought the story jumped around. Just when I began to understand the character the author jumped to the other character. The story takes place in England and deals with the characters personal struggles and how they relate to one another. I would not recommend this book.
May 27, 2008 rated it liked it
It reminded me of a Maive Binchy. A group of interconnected characters and how they relate to each other.
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Just blah.
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Hmm... Goodreads asks for a rating before a review, but while I was thinking about it, my initial 4-star rating became a 2-star rating. And now I feel like using my review to explain it. x')

My enjoyment of this book was rather good; there was nothing that bothered me too much and the storyline was okay. I was overall enjoying the reading and quite engaged with the characters too. Yet when I have to be critical, there are so many points I want to make...

So here are my star-stealers:
- The narrativ
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, england
Daisy Quin is a dancer who experiences a back injury that forces her to take an extended time for recovery. Mim, her mentor, suggests she spend some of that time with Mim’s brother Roly. Daisy finds it to be a place to relax and consider the possibility of another job opportunity. Meanwhile, Roly is dealing with his ex-wife Monica who is trying to insert herself back into the picture. Then there is their son Nat, Mim’s sister, who has his own secrets and guilts. Can each find the healing they n ...more
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very easy reading.
Edie Light
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I listened to this. Very nice story with good development of characters. Would like for there to be another book to figure out what happened next.
Nichola Constable
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
When I first got this book, I was filled with excitement and happiness. I just couldn't wait to read this book.

But then a few chapters in nothing happened, then after a few more chapters nothing happened and when I was nearly finished with the book still nothing happened! It was so bad that it had put me into a really bad reading slump. Usually with books I read a few chapters a day. But this book was so boring, I could only read one sentence and I knew I was done for the day. My favourite chara
Echoes of the Dance, by Marcia Willett, is a wonderfully written book about love and compassion. The novel is about five main characters who must learn to deal with drastic and sudden changes. All of their problems cause them to learn and grow. Each character learns how to pick others up when they are struggling as well. In the novel you see many acts of bravery, courage, and strength. Along with that you see what friendship is all about and how to find it in the strangest of places. In this nov ...more
(Lonestarlibrarian) Keddy Ann Outlaw
Marcia Willett always sustains me. She reminds me of Maeve Binchy, whose books I always loved. Both of their books feature characters who call up my compassion and concern. For me, they are like the meat and potatoes of women's fiction (this metaphor works only if you are not a vegetarian). Reading a Marcia Willett novel feels as if I've come home to be with people I love. Corny, I know, and yes -- sometimes I much prefer the verbal company of other wildly different authors, but in between all s ...more
Rose Collins
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautiful descriptions of houses in Cornwall. Willett focuses on how the characters' lives are influenced by their surroundings and how some characters look for happiness in their pasts by trying to live in their old homes. Main characters are Roly, a retired photographer, Mim, his sister who heads a dance company in London after having been injured when she was a young ballerina; Daisy, a young dancer who is injured and must give up dancing; Kate, a friend of Roly's whose husband has just died; ...more
Jina Howell-Forbes
Terrific characters learning and growing with pathos, longing, and ultimately, joy. A gentle theme of the importance of accepting people for who they are while helping them to stretch to be the best they can be is evident throughout. There were so many people in this story that I longed to be able to have a "bit of a chat" with over tea and scones. I will miss them.
Dec 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Another very enjoyable book from Marcia Willett. Her books are mostly about relationships and her characters are so interesting! The setting is Cornwall and her descriptions of the countryside and nature make me want to go there again (Dan and I went about 13 years ago). Her books are very satisfying and like most books set in England, make you want to drink a cup of hot tea!
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mar 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
A slow moving story with lots of descriptions of nature like shadows and slowly creeping fog. I liked the character of Roly because he is the one who feeds everyone and takes care of the pets while the others go about their dramatic lives. I also appreciated the character of Kate, a widow, who is trying to decide where her life will go after the death of her husband.
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In reading this book which I really enjoyed you learn about Roly his sister Mim, his son Nat and his disaster of an x wife Monika. Then there is his dear friend Kate who was recently widowed. Roly lives in a barn that his Mother had transformed into a home. I was mesmerized by this because I always have wanted to live in a barn myself, they brought me such joy as a child.
May 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
I gave this four stars because it is the type of book that appeals to me for plain old easy reading. It is not memorable but comfortable.
The descriptions of nature and the characters were delightful and I enjoyed getting involved in their lives.
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
A lovely book! You will find some of the same characters in THE SEA GARDEN, another lovely book! I am hooked on Marcia Willett. I want to visit Cornwall! These books are about family, friendship, and basic human kindness.
Barbara Nutting
May 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was like a soap opera out of the 1950's!!! Very confusing characters - all related!! How could so many people be so lonely???? The only good part was the heron - I was sitting about 10' from one as I was reading by my pond!!
May 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if it was the characters so much as the dogs always on the furniture - had to put it down. I picked up another of Marcia's Books - The Children's Hour, and the dogs were on the furniture again. Not my kind of person - not my kind of book.
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-2008
Pleasant novel involving various people who help each other, mostly in Cornwall. An injured dancer, two men with very different secrets, and various others. A little slow to get started, and rather a lot of characters, but enjoyable once it got moving.
Nov 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: uk-cosies
cozy and comforting, a good gentle read on a rainy day.
Feb 12, 2014 added it
Apr 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Ms Willett is a gifted storyteller. I had the feeling that I was missing part of the story--that this book was a sequel, altho it wasn't marked as such. I did enjoy the story.
Jan 28, 2012 rated it liked it
i listened to this story and found it hard to follow all the flash backs. the story was ok, sad but real life experiences.
Shirley Campbell
She has written better
Mar 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Simply my kind of book! If you enjoy Rosamund Pilcher, then you'll like Marcia Willett!
Dorthe Pedersen
OK underholdning - men ikke helt så god som hendes øvrige bøger.
Hørt som lydbog.
  • The Innocents Club
  • The Ex-Wife's Survival Guide
  • Secrets and Shadows
  • Looking for Mr. Goodfrog
Marcia Willett began her career as a novelist when she was fifty years old. Since that first novel Marcia has written twenty more under her own name as well as a number of short stories. She has also written four books under the pseudonym "Willa Marsh", and is published in more than sixteen countries.

Marcia Willett's early life was devoted to the ballet, but her dreams of becoming a ballerina end
More about Marcia Willett...

Fiction Deals

• Finding Rebecca
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Baker's Daughter
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Fountain Overflows (The Saga of the Century Book 1)
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99