Start by marking “The Zion Chronicles Complete Set (#1-5)” as Want to Read:
The Zion Chronicles Complete Set (#1-5)

The Zion Chronicles Complete Set

(Zion Chronicles #1-5)

Out of the ashes of the Holocaust, a sweeping historical drama of an infant nation, her brave people and their struggle for survival against overwhelming odds.
Paperback
Published June 28th 1988 by Bethany House Publishers

Start your review of The Zion Chronicles Complete Set (#1-5)
Brian
Oct 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
I read this series throughout my middle school years. I have reread this series multiple times and I still learn new things each time. I love the WWII setting of the stories and the characters are so rich and believable.

Bodie Thoene is the kind of writer I can only hope to be. She brings depth, conflict, and truth to her stories the way few writers can. I was fortunate enough to attend a book signing of hers back in high school and I felt like I was meeting Julia Roberts or something! My mom di
Bobbi
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Zion Chronicles series covers the events surrounding Israel's statehood in 1948.
Each book vividly portrays the intense struggle of the Jewish people in the events that happened after WW2.
The Gates of Zion, is a historical fiction that begins with a brief prologue set in Qumran, 68 C.E.. Jerusalem has just fallen to the Romans. A Jewish scribe quickly and carefully copies the last passages of the book of the Prophet Isaiah. Then he wraps the scroll in linen, coats the linen with pitch, and
Rebecca Rash
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The amount of research gone into these books alone makes it worth your time to read. Historically accurate, great characters, plenty of drama, and great writing! I loved going along for the ride, and felt like I was really there. Highly recommended!
Jenny
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Favorite series of books I have read!
Leslie
Dec 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this series. It is historical fiction whose characters are involved in the establishment of the state of Israel in 1948. As I finished each book, I had to immediately get ahold of the next as each book leads right into the next. I was glad to know the end result because with all the roadblocks and disappointments these people had, it would have been overwhelmingly discouraging if I didn't know that Isael was really made a state in 1948. The authors are Christian writers and the ...more
Mistie
Apr 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved these books ALMOST as much as I loved the Zion Covenant Series! Set in Post WWII in Israel, it's a continuation of the Jewish struggle to survive. Characters from the previous series (or their posterity) are intertwined in this series.
Marilyn
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kept my interest. Wanted the series to keep going again!
Linda
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Re-reading for the third time. Not as riveting as the previous series that took place during WWII, but very interesting books about how Israel became a nation.
Charis
Dec 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
I own all these books, although I have only read three. I learned alot about the post-WWII situation in the Middle East, while being so enraptured by the story that I probably neglected my kids for a few days. The character's lives have almost soap opera levels of drama, and the characters themselves are very one-dimensional and poorly developed, but nonetheless the stories are great fun and factually educational.
Chloe
Feb 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
These books are great historical novels set in Jerusalem at the end of World War II. I couldn't set down the first two books of the series. However, by the third I didn't feel so desperately hooked. I don't know if I got tired of reading the same writing style, or if the content actually became duller. Whatever the case, the series is still definitely a worthwhile read. I really appreciated struggling with the characters through the questions of God's goodness in the midst of suffering.
Lisa Brown
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
An amazing series about the creation of the State of Israel. I was truly blown away by the way the Jews, who had essentially been left by the Brittish to be massacred by the Arab countries surrounding them, were able to pull together and win the day. Wonderful characters and a beautifully written story that makes you feel as if you are experiencing the history along with the characters.

**I read this for the first time when I was living in Jerusalem, which made it even more amazing :).
Erin
Aug 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was my favorite series...I loved, absolutely loved the characters, the romance, and how much I learned. This is set in post WWWII Europe and then in Israel. I couldn't put it down. There is one book that ends in tragedy, but worth it since it is the story behind a brief mention of a character in the other series. Yep, now I'm gonna have to read it again just from writing about it.
Susan
Nov 09, 2008 added it
Bodie Thoene is really an amazing author. Her ability to weave two or three stories together and have them join up smoothly at the end while being historically accurate, is nothing short of brilliant. These books, based on history are about the founding of the state of Israel. As with all of Thoene's books. I could not wait to find out what would happen next.
Callie
Dec 14, 2008 rated it liked it
I also enjoyed this series, but not as much as the Zion Covenant set. This story takes place after what happened in the Zion Covenant books, and I almost only cared about certain characters because of what had happened to them before. Still, I like that the author takes historical events and humanizes them.
Universitybabe
May 05, 2008 rated it liked it
I really like the historical aspect of these books. I liked the Zion Covenant series better but She draws me into each situation and helps me see things as if they were a part of my memory. These post WWII books gave me insight into a place and time I have thought little about.
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I first read these books in 7th grade and have read the whole series several more times since then. I love the way Thoene seamlessly weaves history into fiction to the point that it's hard to distinguish who's real and who's not. Great books for learning history while having fun!
Rebecca
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read this a long time ago but I remember that I loved this series! It gave me a better understanding of the relationship between the Jews and the Arabs and the battles in Jerusalem. Even better was that all the learning was mixed in with a great fictional love story. What more can you ask for?
Jacqueline Francis
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
A historical half and half cookie. This novel ties the underlying facts of world war II with a fantastic fictional myriad of characters. The story could strike a human chord in the likes of a rock.
Lisa
Feb 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Have read this series twice. Love the characters! Have recently discovered Jerusalem Legacy series, which continues from where Chronicles left off. To the 5th book & it's pretty slow moving, not as enjoyable, but still good.

Jill
May 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read the Zion Chronicles in the 90's after my mom told me she liked this author. I learned a lot about the Israel and the Jewish customs along with some history. It is also an adventure with suspense that keeps you reading.
Kari Anderson
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this series. It was the first time I realized that God had not passed on his promises to the Christians, but that the Jews are still His chosen people, too. History shows He's not finished with His plan for them.
Rachelle Sperling
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thoene writes in a way that draws you into the story so that you are there walking alongside the characters. This series gives a very clear and realistic picture of these years in the history of Israel.
Dara Bender
May 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: WWII Fans
This is the counterpart to The Zion Covenant. This series focuses on Israels struggle to gain independance. Some of the same characters from the Zion Covenant reappear. Terriffic!
Karen Hsu
Aug 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianfiction
I have only read the first three (out of five) books in this series, but just as it was with the Zion Covenant series I loved the plotline that is seeping with Jewish history.
Sheila Mayo
Aug 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Read!!
Brookann
Dec 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This series follows the Zion Covenants and is every bit as compelling!
Mary Kestner
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Israel fights for independence. I enjoyed them since I knew so little about Israel's recent history.
Easy to read.
Alicia
Mar 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Suspenseful series of books about Israel becoming a state. These are not high lexile books, but they're very clean quick reads.
Louise
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
These books are excellent historical novels about the Jews and the conditions in Germany and Jerusalem. The story continues through 3 series. I would recommend them highly.
Julie
Apr 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This series follows the end of WW2 into Jerusalem and the fight to establish a home for the Jewish people.

• The Lacemaker
  • Redeeming Love
  • Bridge to Haven
  • My Notorious Life
  • Ain't She Sweet?
  • Blink
  • All You Can Ever Know
  • Fire by Night (Refiner's Fire, #2)
  • Green: The Beginning and the End (The Circle, #0)
  • The Masterpiece
  • This Quiet Sky
  • A River Too Deep (People of the Book, #1)
  • For Such a Time
  • Light Bird's Song (People of the Book, #2)
  • The Thorn Bearer (Penned in Time, #1)
  • The Joy of Fearing God
  • Forest Child (Vikings of the New World Saga, #2)
  • Lord, Teach Me to Pray in 28 Days
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E

Zion Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Gates of Zion (Zion Chronicles, #1)
  • A Daughter of Zion (Zion Chronicles #2)
  • The Return to Zion (Zion Chronicles #3)
  • A Light in Zion (Zion Chronicles #4)
  • The Key to Zion (Zion Chronicles #5)