Start by marking “Sparking a Worldwide Energy Revolution: Social Struggles in the Transition to a Post-Petrol World” as Want to Read:

As the world's energy system faces a period of unprecedented change, a global struggle over who controls the sector—and for what purposes—is intensifying. The question of "green capitalism" is now unavoidable, for capitalist planners and anti-capitalist struggles alike. From all sides we hear that it's time to save the planet in order to save the economy, but in reality wh ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by AK Press (first published 2009)

Mirza  Sultan-Galiev
The concept that we as a society are “addicted” to fossil fuels has become a veritable cliché of the radical left and the broader environmental movement, and as a consequence we are enjoined to encourage a transition to a reliance on alternative energy sources for the whole wasteful orgy that is modern life.

A understanding of the urgent necessity for drastic imposition of a “no energy” future is obscured by quibbling about the relative merit of geothermal, solar, wind and so on as prospective le
Sean Estelle
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This massive anthology attempts to provide a holistic sketch of the existing energy system and emerging struggles to transform it. One of the most 'pragmatic' books I've ever read under the AK press label, which is in my opinion a simple factor of the pragmatic nature of energy transformation work (it's SO necessary, we want to use it as a vehicle to transform property and social relations, but it also has to happen no matter what, as soon as possible).

Especially recommended to folks working in
unperspicacious
May 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: energy, development, ipe
Larry Lohmann gave this book a glowing review awhile back (http://j.mp/khMPVE), but I cannot remember feeling quite as enamoured while reading a number of chapters in it (including those by Keefer and Abramsky himself).

I was often tempted to put it down several times, mainly because I was not part of the audience to whom this work was really being addressed to. This, of course, says more about myself than about the book's intrinsic merits. Unfortunately this also meant not giving the book as muc
Steven Magee
This book should be compulsory reading to anyone working in the energy industry. The book discusses the problems of the current energy model that is being followed and then goes on to offer solutions in order to transition into a new society. The book is made up of many articles from various authors and does an excellent job of presenting the facts as to why society must change.
Jordan
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm almost finished the book and I think it's a really excellent primer on the (mostly contemporary) politics of energy, and especially the relationship between capitalism/neoliberalism and fossil fuels, and capitalism/neoliberalism and renewables. It does seem to suffer a bit from having too much in terms of sheer content though, jumping around a fair bit to the detriment of cohesion.
Jay