Start by marking “Leaden Skies” as Want to Read:
Leaden Skies

Leaden Skies (Silver Rush #3)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  137 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The summer of 1880: although possible investment in Leadville's silver mines is a main reason that former president and Civil War general Ulysses S. Grant is now touring this city at the top of the Rockies, others in his retinue and in town are enticed by other visions. As part owner of the Silver Queen Saloon, Inez Stannert has often observed the ruination that comes from ...more
Published May 27th 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published June 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Leaden Skies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaden Skies

Misfit
Jul 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What fun! As Leadville Colorado prepares for the arrival of Ulysses S. Grant, Inez Stannert still operates the Silver Queen Saloon that her now missing husband won at the turn of a card with her partner Abe. Is he dead or did he just abandon her? Wanting a little extra security in case her ownership of the saloon is challenged, she strikes a deal with local madam Frisco Flo who wants to move her girls to a better, more profitable site in town - but Inez keeps this deal secret from her partner Ab ...more
LJ
LEADEN SKIES (Hist. Mys-Inez Stannert-Colorado-1880) – VG+
Parker, Ann – 3rd in series
Poisoned Pen Press, 2009, ARC – ISBN: 9781590585771 (Hardcover)

First Sentence: When the summer storm arrived late that afternoon, it was hailed as a blessing.

Inez Stannert is the one-third owner of the Silver Queen Saloon; another third is owned by her friend and black man, Abe, and the final third is owned by her husband, whom she’s not seen in over a year. Inez is ready to move on with her relationship with Re
Diane
Mar 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the 3rd in a series of historical myteries set in Leadville's boom days. I enjoyed this one (as well as the prior two) and think that Parker does a very good job of transporting the reader back in time.
Ann Parker
Feb 02, 2009 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Proofreading my ARC of Leaden Skies. :-)
Susan
Leaden Skies by Ann Parker is book 3 of the Silver Rush mystery series set in 1880 Leadville Colorado. Ulysses S Grant comes to Leadville. Throngs gathered long before his arrival, and mass chaos ensued. A brothel fire threatened to engulf all the businesses on State Street, the fire department unable to reach the building through the crowds. Madam Frisco Flo, the owner of the fire-damaged brothel, proposes a business deal to Inez Stannert, part owner of the Silver Queen saloon. Inez decides to ...more
Alex
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is number 3 in this series. I am really enjoying listening to these books.
Anne
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing historical mystery that was fun to read. Not as gritty as it could have been but a reasonable picture of life in the silver rush 1880.
Ramon
Nov 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ramon by: Library
In the summer of 1880, mining boomtown of Leadville, Colorado, isn't the only thing that leads folks into temptation. Although possible investment in Leadville's silver mines is a main reason that former president and Civil War general Ulysses S. Grant is now touring this city at the top of the Rockies.
As part owner of the Silver Queen Saloon, Inez Stannert has often observed the ruination that comes from yielding to temptation. Still, that knowledge hasn't stopped Inez from taking Reverend Jus
Jim Overturf
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its late June in Leadville, Colorado. It's cold, as usual. The first train to Leadville has arrived carrying former President Ulysses S. Grant. It's started to rain and the streets have turned to mud. A love-sick mapmaker, Cecil Farnesworth, is in town, and enamored with one of the whores in Flo's covey. Someone tries to burn down Flo's whorehouse across the street fron Inez Stannert's saloon. The fire department is tied up with Grant's arrival parade. Inez is wrestling with getting a divorce fr ...more
Bob Stocker
Ann Parker's Leaden Skies is a murder mystery set in the booming mining town of Leadville, Colorado, during ex-president Grant's visit in the summer of 1880. Although I had a strong suspicion about “who done it” before some of the mechanisms for doing it were fully developed, one side mystery wasn't tied up until a small surprise in the penultimate chapter.

This is not great literature. The plot is solid, but the writing occasionally suffers from informal expressions and similes that seemed out o
Susan Lundy
Oct 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I started Ann Parker's series backwards..reading her 2012 "Mercury's Rise" book first and moving now to her third book, Leaden Skies from 2009. I'll read Silver Lies and Iron Ties as soon as the library gets them for me. (I actually bought three hardback copies of Mercury's Rise as gifts...I REALLY liked it.)
I only gave three stars because the mystery was not quite as well worked out as it was in Mercury's Rise; but this one did carry the character development along nicely. (Three stars means I
Dani
Apr 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pre-read of a July 2009 release, this third installment in the Silver Rush historical mystery series continues the saga of socialite turned saloon owner, Inez Stannert, just as the Denver Rio Grande railroad brings more silver barons and their assorted appetites to the burgeoning city in the clouds. As usual, bodies keep turning up right to the end. Historically and medically accurate, the author's love of research shines through as always. This series is a must-read for Victorian and western ...more
Patty
Jul 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the Silver Rush Mysteries and I enjoyed it but for some reason not as much as the first two. I'm not sure why, the characters were still engaging and the setting is outstanding. Maybe it was the heavy involvement of "ladies of the evening" combined with some pretty vicious people. That and I've never been a big Ulysses S. Grant fan and he has some role in what is going on here.

I'll continue with the series - I have to after the last line of the book (no spoilers here an
Kae Cheatham
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Although the craft of writing was top-notch (+5), the descriptions seemed over-written and often intrusive into the story line 9 (-2). Plot revelations and other glitches were troublesome (-3).
Sense of place and historical details were quite good (+4), but often got in the way of the story(-1).
Too much conversational wrapping up of details at the end, explaining what went on (-1).
Not certain if I'll read the other books in the series.
Rogue Reader
Leaden Skies, “a gripping tale of love, greed and murder in the Old West” says Publishers Weekly. Leaden Skies is the third in the Silver Rush Mystery series, and is a finalist for the Colorado Book Award. She's well known for her attention to historical detail, accuracy and realism in her historical mysteries. During daylight hours, Ann Parker scribbles about solar energy technology, chilled beam systems and human capital strategies. At night, she delves into the past.
Cynthia
Jul 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read with interesting characters and romance mixed into the mystery. Be prepared for bits of brothel language. As a writer working on a book set in Leadville during this same time, I can attest that Ann Parker is spot-on with descriptions of setting and events in this western boomtown. The ending left me eager for the next book in the series.
Knewmyer
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-library, 2016
4.5 stars. What I like: Inez, she's a bit of a badass; 1880s Leadville; the backstory, there's a lot of fleshing out and that keeps me interested. I like when an author so obviously does her homework. Just an excellent series, and I only wish there were a bunch more.
Paul O'Grady
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author's attempts to weave real events of the day (e.g., women's suffrage, immigration, police corruption, political machinations, Grant's visit to Leadville) into her story work quite well. The quality of the mystery left something to be desired, but overall this was a satisfactory effort.
Adrian McCarthy
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've enojoyed all the Leadville books, but this one is my favorite (so far). Parker's writing has improved with each book, and the mystery plot in this one was especially satisfying. I'm looking forward to Mercury's Rise.
EC
This book started slower than the first, through the first half I probably would have only given it 3 stars. But then things picked up and the characters and story gained depth and got more interesting.
Kay Franklin
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always fun to be able to picture the region
Helen-Louise
Feb 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Interesting book, well plotted, good characters but some a bit stereotypical. But - I am looking for the two books that precede this one.
Diane
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not recommended.
Mirah W
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series. Inez is a great, strong woman in the west at a time when men dominated business. I look forward to book 4 and wish it wasn't the end of the series.
Penny
A real page-turner for historical fiction/mystery fans. This may be my favorite of the series. Entertaining and educational. Highly recommended.
Juanita
Jan 29, 2016
Lorian Bruce
Sep 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • A Disappearance in Drury Lane (Captain Lacey, #8)
  • Paper Woman (A Mystery of the American Revolution, #1)
  • From Whitechapel: A Novel of Jack the Ripper
  • The Inquiry Agent
  • A Bucket of Ashes (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #6)
  • Leadville (Steve Dancy Tales, #2)
  • Arkfall
  • Penumbra
  • Heaven's Fire (Fairfax Family, #2; Lords of Conquest, #6)
  • Alias Dragonfly
  • Treason's Tide  (Archives of the Comptrollerate-General for Scrutiny and Survey, #1)
  • Embrace the Grim Reaper (Grim Reaper Mystery, #1)
Ann Parker earned degrees in Physics and English Literature at the University of California, Berkeley, before taking up a career as a science writer. These days, she slings science and technical verbiage for a living during the day and writes fiction at night.

Ann's ancestors include a great-grandfather who was a blacksmith in Leadville, a grandmother who worked at the bindery of Leadville's Heral
More about Ann Parker...

Silver Rush (5 books)
  • Silver Lies (Silver Rush, #1)
  • Iron Ties (Silver Rush, #2)
  • Mercury's Rise (Silver Rush, #4)
  • What Gold Buys (Silver Rush, #5)