Start by marking “Once When I Was Scared” as Want to Read:
Once When I Was Scared

Once When I Was Scared

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
When his mother asks him to fetch some hot coals from a neighbor just as a storm is brewing, Daniel must draw upon inner strength to conquer his fears. "Children . . . will respond to Daniel's method of dealing with his fears. Rand's dramatic pictures elevate the story".--Booklist.
Published October 1st 1993 by Puffin Books (first published September 29th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Once When I Was Scared, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once When I Was Scared

Pamela Powell
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Very nicely illustrated, but I think children will have problems deciding if the events in the book really happened or not. Not completely clearly fantasy or fact.
Haley Shade
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Just from seeing the cover of this book, I instantly got interested in it because of the dark feeling it gave off knowing that it was going to be somewhat of a scary book. But after reading the book, that isn't what I loved most about it. I loved the book is about Daniel overcoming his fears. I think after a child reads this book and understands it, they will be encouraged to overcome their fears just like Daniel had overcome his.

I know as a child growing up, I had a lot of fears..from big ones
Xiaoxiao Zhu
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I have been moved by this story which escaped from reality because I always believe that animals actually have emotion as human. When the boy was scared with the huge bear , he got help from a eagle . It not only made grandfather never be afraid any more but also made his grandchildren brave each time they see the feathers of the eagle.

This story recalls me of msny stories about animals rescue human from danger. For example, I have heard a real story that a dolphin rescue a man from the danger o
Tiffany
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book reminded me of books that my grandparents had read to me when I was younger. The story had a "message" at the end. The illustrations looked dated, but done well.

The illustrations were mostly full bleed. I liked that because I could study a lot of the details and different aspects of the illustrations. I was able to feel like I was part of the story with those kinds of illustrations.

I think kids would really like this story. They might debate about whether or not this story did actuall
Bekkah
The imagery in this book is incredible. Paired with the illustrations, I would use this text to talk about adding details and figurative language to make the students' writing really come alive. The character in this story talks as if he literally changes into different animals to get a chore done and it works beautifully.
Bhunter2012
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book describes the perfect fantasy. A little boy is listening to a story told by his grandfather of when he was scared and to overcome his fears he turns into fierce animals. Then once the story is over and his grandfather makes it home safely the boy is questioning whether the this really happened.
Logan Young
1st or 2nd grade. A young boy listens to a storytold by his grandfather about a time when he was scared. The boy recieves feathers from his grandfather to help him when he became scared.
Cory
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Beautiful illustrations, a decent story about a young boy being brave.
Cayla Lile
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great story and message with wonderfully detailed illustrations!
Christine Hou
Sep 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Helena Clare Pittman has been an artist since childhood. She majored in art in Junior High and High School, and began painting seriously at the age of fourteen.

She majored in Painting at Pratt Institute, in Brooklyn, New York, and was awarded her Bachelors of Fine Art degree there. She took her Masters of Arts at Antioch, in Painting, Writing and Education.

Helena has taught Color, Illustration and
More about Helena Clare Pittman...