Start by marking “Saddam's Bombmaker: The Terrifiying Inside Story of the Iraqi Nuclear and Biological Weapons” as Want to Read:

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  103 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The Iraqi scientist who designed Baghdad's nuclear bomb tells how he did it in secret with the cynical help of U.S., French, German, and British suppliers and experts, and kept it hidden from U.N. inspectors after the Gulf War. Today, he says, Saddam Hussein is only months away from making a workable bomb and has every intention of using it.
Don't tell me about the law. T
Published June 24th 2001 by Scribner (first published November 1st 2000)

Leni
Nov 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: utter-tosh
As the Wikipedia entry on Khidhir Hamza correctly points out:

"since the 2003 invasion of Iraq, most, if not all of his information on the Nuclear Weapons program have been widely discredited, and former UNSCOM inspectors insist that he was never part of the Nuclear Program at all."

This book is worse than rubbish. It is made-up rubbish.
Nick
Nov 26, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Good thing we got rid of him. This is an account by the guy in Iraq who was in charge of developing nuclear weapons. How the general public doesn't know this guy or this story exists is beyond me.
Tom Oman
Sep 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not worth reading, but it is a curious footnote in history in and of itself for the misinformation it spread about Saddams "Weapons of Mass Destruction" when the book was released in 2001, two years before the Invasion of Iraq. At the time, this book was widely read by both the public and government officials as an inside look at Saddams weapons program. I'll leave this quote from Scott Ritter, US nuclear weapons inspector in Iraq:

"We seized the entire records of the Iraqi nuclear p
Karol
While I very much enjoyed the read, I'm not too sure what to make of this whole book. The historic cornerstones seem to be authentic, but apparently the role of the author in the Iraqi nuclear program is vastly exaggerated. It can be easily verified that the Iraqis did purchase a French reactor in the 70's, which was bombed by the Israelis in the early 80's during Operation Opera. This is basically the scheme of the whole book. Known facts are mixed up with the accounts of Khidhir Hamza, which a ...more
Crystal
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this back in 2003 and really really enjoyed it. With recent info out now stating there was more fiction than fact, I still found it entertaining. I don't doubt that some of the horror and fear Iraqis felt during his reign were very real. As for Hamza's story, not too sure. Either way I still feel that there is something to take from the book.
Sean
Oct 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Hamza is an Iraqi who was educated at M.I.T. as a nuclear physicist, before ending up as an instructor at a small college. But it wasn't long before Saddam Hussein recruited him to return to Iraq and ultimately head up his program to build nuclear weapons.

This book reads like a spy thriller, but with the reader's constant awareness that it is a true story. Hamza describes life under Saddam's regime and the descriptions of Saddam's brutalities is chilling.

Equally chilling is the ease with whi
Steven
Higher-up in Saddam's Iraq describes Saddam's efforts to obtain weapons of mass destruction. Books like this were used to present the case for the Iraq War. Even when reading this book well before the plans for the invasion were announced, I found a lot of the perceived "threat" to be pretty minimal. At one point the author describes how much of the Iraq nuclear program was developed after a group of Iraqi scientists spent a couple of days at the science library at some elite school in the East ...more
Marcin
Feb 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book for a few years and this was my second read of it.

This is an autobiographical account of a scientist who was working on Saddam's nuclear bomb project. It is an interesting inside look at how Saddam's reigime worked. Apparently there has been some doubt cast on the authenticity of the story - particularly whether the author was as involved as he says he was, but it still makes for a good read.
Jim Johnson
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very well written and (despite a slow biographical start) was extremely fascinating and gripping. I loved the technical aspects of Dr. Hamza's research and development and the political intrigue. Later, the story changed into something more akin to a spy thriller. I really enjoyed this book and the author's honesty.
Katie
Mar 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard the author speak on NPR and had to read it. Such an interesting first hand view of Saddam Hussein. Reminds me of memoirs written by people who knew Hitler.
Peter Delorenzo
Jul 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reads like a fiction thriller.
Elizabeth
Saddam Hussein WAS trying to build a nuclear weapon, and he was crazy.
Charles Bell
Informative
Jack
An excellent story of Saddam's weapons of mass destruction program. I have been to many of the locations and this book brought back many memories.
Elizabeth Greason
Jan 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friend's dad wrote this book--I've just started it but it's doubly interesting (and terrifying!) since I know him!
Andrej