Start by marking “Facing Your Giants” as Want to Read:
Facing Your Giants

Facing Your Giants

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  12,235 Ratings  ·  303 Reviews
You know your Goliath. You recognize his walk, the thunder of his voice.

He taunts you with bills you can't pay, people you can't please, habits you can't break, failures you can't forget, and a future you can't face. But just like David, you can face your giant, even if you aren't the strongest, the smartest, the best equipped, of the holiest.

David. You could read his stor
Published December 1st 2006 by W Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Facing Your Giants, please sign up.

Sara I found my book on Paperback Swap. It's excellent so far. Enjoy Max Lucado's writing style very much.

Kymberly
Jun 17, 2008 is currently reading it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Kymberly by: Saw Max Lucado at Women of Faith Conference and fell in love wit
That our Giants aren't always people. Actually I am finding most of time they never are. The greatest thing is that I have learned to tell my giants that my God is SOOOOOOOOOO much BIGGER than they are. He will always win!! Always!!!
Doris
Nov 03, 2007 added it
Shelves: psychology-read
Jerry recommended this book to me and I am forever grateful.

This book took me many weeks to read as God was working on me with each section I read. Much of this book was read at the gym while sitting at the pool watching my kids swim/play or in the jacuzzi, relaxing after a tough workout.

As God moved greatly in me, I began to see what I understood about David was a bit off. The Psalms were often to written out of fun, glorious, happy times, but out of despair, heartache, gut wrenching times wher
Jerry
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent look at the story of King David, and what it means to us today.
Victor Gentile
Feb 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got the chance to read "Facing Your Giants" by Max Lucado published by Thomas Nelson. I have read that Max Lucado is called America's Pastor and after reading this book I can understand why.

"Facing Your Giants" is not just about the story of how David defeated Goliath, though that is what one of the chapters is about. "Facing Your Giants" is about the life of David from the moment he entered into battle with Goliath until moments before his death and how he faced the challenges that came befor
Literarycat
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was going through a rough time in my life, and I have to say it really helped me through it. It helped me see that I wasn't alone in my fight and I could face my giants along with God's help, just like Goliath. Lucado puts the book into terms anyone could understand and appreciate. Giants are hardly ever people, most of the time it is something we are struggling with. Max Lucado's book is very helpful and helped bring me to over come my struggles and face my giants.
Lisa Topp
Feb 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Bible Study
Recommended to Lisa by: Sr. Carol Ann
My Lenten Study Book for this year. A very thorough journey through the story of David. Good for anyone interested in facing "Giants" in their life - there are more of them than you may think - and also a good tool for more in depth study of the Bible. I'm still undecided about Max Lucado's style - he's very informal, sometimes borderline comical. There is a study guide in the back of the book that tells you which verses in the Bible to read as an accompaniment to each chapter.
Lisa
Mar 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Max Lucado is one of the most popular Christian writers out there. You can't fault a thing he says. To me, though, he is somewhat like a John Grisham. John Grisham is super popular, but his writing is elementary. People go crazy over him, yet I'm confused as many of the other more skilled writers get neglected. I feel the same way here, and yet probably many people are reached by his writing. So that's fine -- all good points here, but I prefer a more scholarly pursuit.
Melissa
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Max Lucado does such a good job of applying scripture the O.T. story of David in this case) to our daily lives. In this book he shows us good and bad decisions David made and how his relationship with God changed with his decisions.
Vianessa Peña
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leído en el momento preciso. No creo en coincidencias y este libro fue muy adecuado al tiempo que estoy viviendo.

Minucioso estudio de la vida de David, escudriñado desde tremenda perspectiva. Me gustó bastante.
Carol Evans
Jan 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
"Focus on giants—you stumble. Focus on God—your giants tumble."

Offers some good insights on keeping your eyes on God, even during your worst times. Lucado does a great job making the story of David relevant to us today.
Nelson Eisenmann
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Incredible analysis of the stages of David's life and the major take aways from his experiences. Very thought-provoking and inspirational!
Heather
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed both the subject matter (David, and his journey from facing off with Goliath to the end of his reign) and Lucado's writing style. He didn't insert too many anecdotes (thank goodness), instead including scripture references and summaries. A great read!
The Book Man
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
We, like David, have two choices: FLEE or FACE the giant.
What will you choose?
I would definitely reach for a stone... :D
elfsi
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Kisah Daud - Siapakah yang tidak pernah mendengarnya? Ketika Kitab Suci mempersembahkan enam puluh enam pasal bagi kisahnya, lebih dari semua orang lain kecuali Yesus.
Kisah Daud melawan Goliat Sang Raksasa bukan hanya membuat seorang anak kecil terkagum bahkan orang dewasa sekalipun.
Luar biasa ketika menyadari Daud adalah tokoh yang menghadapi semua musim dalam kehidupan ibarat sebuah gelombang ada waktu benar – benar di puncak dan ada waktu benar-benar dibawah dan terjal.
Kehidupannya sama sek
May 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
This is an amazing book that helps readers overcome their fears/giants/or whatever you want to come them by analyzing the story of David. God calls David a man after His heart, even though David failed badly with Bathsheba and his own family. Lucado explains why we fail when we focus on our giants, but will succeed if we focus on God. I was really challenge by Lucado's analysis of David's story, especially the chapters on distant diety, tough promises, and dashed hopes. I also learned a lot from ...more
Jason Lilly
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Once again, Christian living master Max Lucado impresses with a study of the life of David, failure and success, a Biblical figure whom God himself proclaimed "a man after his own heart" (Samuel 13:14).

As usual, Lucado chooses an important theme for Christians to follow. Too often in our lives, we focus on the overwhelming stresses in our lives, fear, failure, doubt, a shady past, whatever it may be. In the beginning of the book, Lucado vividly paints a portrait of tiny David and how he stood f
Penny
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing read by Max Lucado!! i couldn't begin to share all my thoughts, but would like to share one of my favorites from the book.

Lucado tell a story of Florence Chadwick who in 1952 attempted to swim the chilly ocean waters between Catalina Island and the California shore. She swam through foggy weather and choppy seas for 15 hours!! Her muscles began to cramp, and her resolve weakened. She begged to be taken out of the water, but her m other, riding in a boat alongside, urged her n
David
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
I don't know why I like Max Lucado's books so much. Maybe it's because he has a way of making the bible come alive. Maybe it's the way he doesn't try to show off how educated he is and writes as if he's talking to someone face to face. Whatever it is, he truly shows that God has given him a talent for taking difficult subjects and makes them easy to understand.

Facing Your Giants uses David as an example on overcoming adversity. David was not perfect, and Lucado points out how God uses this flawe
Shannon
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
How do we traverse our most difficult roads without giving up? How do we live our normal days, day after day, without becoming complacent? Upon what do we fix our gaze?

In this book, Lucado suggests we explore the story of David in order to answer these and other questions. More specifically, he contends that David was able to defeat Goliath and had moments of great clarity, inspiration, and leadership when he kept his eyes on God and asked for God's help and direction. When he didn't, he fell in
David E.P.
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
reading this book...as a David myself...I figured I would have connected with David and the premise of the book easily. However, I felt as if I was being boxed in the entire time I was reading it. The answers and advice Max gives really seem to be a bit one-sided, if you ask me.

There is so much out in this Universe that we have yet to even fathom! Why make just a single reference to God as the only one having the answers and the power to allow you to conquer your giants? There is SO much more! S
Fiania Christine
Pusatkan perhatian pada raksasa - anda akan jatuh.
Pusatkan perhatian perhatian pada Allah - raksasa akan tumbang.

Based on 1&2 Samuel, an intelligent American pastor Max Lucado membawa kisah Daud dari awal sebelum dipilih Samuel sampai mati dengan bahasa yang ringan dan mudah dimengerti dalam melihat "raksasa-raksasa" yang selalu di hadapi setiap orang, setiap waktu. Raksasa masa lalu yang kelam, raksasa kebiasaan hidup yang buruk, raksasa kemiskinan visi, kepastian akan masa depan. Dan raks
Darin
Jan 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those seeking to understand trials
Shelves: have-read
This book from Max Lucado was an encouragement to me and i do pray and recommende it highly to those whom are seeking a better understanding of why we face trials and giants in our lives.
Max Lucado takes us through the life of David to help us to have a better understanding of such concepts as "losing focus on God" "Striving to follow Him" and truly his writing and method are truly amazingly simple and understandeable.
I myself am a heavy reader and whipped through this book is about 2-3 days of
Deanne
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. I super-extra-a lot loved his writing style! I have never been fond of David in the Bible (prepare for lightening to strike me!) But this analysis of him really helped me gain more interest and respect for all the stories about his life. Max Lucado draws out insights and similes to our own life that are truly amazing. He really was inspired by God's spirit as he wrote this. This is the kind of book you keep on your shelf and pull out again and again when life is giving you ...more
Janne
Mar 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Max Lucado is such a great author - he makes scripture come alive and brings it to life today - This book is about King David - when he was obediant to God and victorious and when he failed miserably because he got a litle to comfortable in himself without God -just like we all do... we each face giants and we each have our own - this is a great book to help you recoginize what your "giant" is and how to let God help you overcome it.
Chelsea Serrano
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very wonderful book by Max Lucado. I learned about this book from Ate Ellen and I'm glad I bought it. I learned a lot about facing the giants in my life like how David dealt with his. It's a constant reminder to not depend on ourselves because when we do, giants will overwhelm us. Eventually, it'll defeat us. But with God, we can defeat them. Victoriously!
Lindsey
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity
This was my first book by Max Lucado and I really enjoyed it. This book really hit close to home, I learned a lot, and I find his writing style really easy to read. I look forward to reading other books by him.
Steve Haldi
Apr 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Innovative and fresh as only Max Lucado can be - a great look at the life of the only person in the Bible referred to as a "man after God's heart" and ways to apply lessons from the life of David - I'm ready for my "nevertheless"
Jeth
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Focus on your giants, you will stumble. Focus on God, your giants will tumble. COooorrrrect! Read this book and be inspired to live a better life for God. :)
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the daily reading of this one, it gave me a chance to stop and think about each of our Giants when taken together is almost unbearable but when you become David you can learn by his example how to defeat your giants The book covers many life stressing events by using David as an example. He didn’t just defeat the Giant without some of life’s lessons where he could build on for each path in his life. Early on he learned to depend on God to guide him through the rough times. I think after ...more
Eszter
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It's a fantastic book with advices for all the different areas of the life and each one is presented through the life of David (the second king of Israel). Everyone should read this book.

Fantasztikus könyv, mely az élet minden területére vonatkozóan tartalmaz tanácsokat. Mindeniket Dávid király életén keresztül mutatja be, aki a zsidók második királya volt. Mindenkinek el kellene olvasnia ezt a könyvet.

Teens 5 26 Jul 19, 2014 06:17PM
  • Courageous
  • Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference?
  • Approval Addiction: Overcoming Your Need to Please Everyone
  • Recapture the Wonder
  • Praying God's Word: Breaking Free From Spiritual Strongholds
  • A Woman After God's Own Heart
  • Esther: A Woman of Strength & Dignity (Great Lives From God's Word Volume 2)
  • The Name
  • The Search for Significance: Seeing Your True Worth Through God's Eyes
  • Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be With God
  • The Power of a Praying Woman
  • Fireproof
With more than 125 million products in print and several NYT bestsellers, Max Lucado is America's bestselling inspirational author. He serves the Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas, where he lives with his wife, Denalyn, and their mischievous mutt, Andy. His next book is publishing September 2017 and is titled Anxious for Nothing.

More about Max Lucado...