Start by marking “Wings of Fire” as Want to Read:
Wings of Fire

Wings of Fire

(Temeraire #2.5)

Dragons: Fearsome fire-breathing foes, scaled adversaries, legendary lizards, ancient hoarders of priceless treasures, serpentine sages with the ages' wisdom, and winged weapons of war... Wings of Fire brings you all these dragons, and more, seen clearly through the eyes of many of today's most popular authors.

Introduction - Jonathan Strahan and Marianne S. Jablon
Stable o
Published June 1st 2010 by Night Shade (first published March 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Wings of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wings of Fire

Wealhtheow
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
A collection of stories about dragons. I thought too many were old, from collections or novels published long ago. I wanted more stories that were new to me and to the world.

"Stable of Dragons," Peter S Beacle. A not very good poem (in the sense that it seems to be prose with line breaks) about a breeder of dragons who hopes to have a half-dragon son someday.

"The Rule of Names," Ursula K LeGuin. Mr.Underhill is the only wizard on Sattins Island. He's not particularly powerful, and in fact he's a
Kaitlynn
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Wings of Fire is a dragon anthology. As such, its difficult to rate the book as a whole. Instead, I'll give a brief review of each entry in the collection.

Stable of Dragons: A poem that includes dragon sex. Creepy but enjoyable.
The Rule of Names: Earthsea story. Satisfying read, if a reprint.
The Ice Dragon: Simple, sweet, and solid.
Sobek: Urban fantasy dragon. Dark YA style, enjoyable but hard to suspend belief at times.
King Dragon: This motherfucking story. This fucking short story is reason e
Bp516
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Admittedly not finished with it yet, but I love the random mix around the theme of dragons. I grabbed it off the shelf to see what George R. R. Martin had added, but it's pretty awesome. Trying not to spoil anything, but every time I read another piece, I get more ideas for my own writing. It's harsh enough to keep me invested, but light enough to set it down for a day or two. Really liking the mixture of tone and length in the arrangement.
Lorre
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a fan of short stories and I only read them if they are part of a series, or in George R.R. Martin's case because I've read some of his books. So the rating is only for 2 of the stories in this book.

The Ice Dragon - George R.R. Martin
Very dry, boring story... it didn't even feel like a story but more a dry account of life events of a girl who meets an ice dragon. - 1 star

In Autumn, a White Dragon Looks Over the Wide River - Naomi Novik
This short story is set in the Temeraire series. Sadl
Jerry
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books-ever
This book was wonderful! It contains short stories from some of science-fiction's best authors. My favorite stories were Stable of Dragons, by Peter S. Beagle; Orm the Beautiful, by Elizabeth Bear; The Bully and the Beast, by Orson Scott Card; The Dragon on the Bookshelf, by Harlan Ellison and Robert Silverberg; Draco, Draco, by Tanith Lee; Berlin, by Charles de Lint; Concerto Accademico, by Barry N. Malzberg; Dragon's Fin Soup, by S.P. Somtow; and King Dragon, by Michael Swanwick.
The other aut
Justin Robinson
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
As with any collection, it's hit and miss. The hits, though, are great. I'm inspired to look for more from Tanith Lee and Roger Zelazny.
Nenče
May 28, 2016 is currently reading it
Shelves: fantasy, short-story
Rating & reviews reflect the three stories that interested me:

The Harrowing of the Dragon of Hoarsbreath by Patricia A. McKillip
Verdict: ****

Harrowing is as much about atmosphere as it is about story, and McKillip's language -- heightened and timeless -- unfolds vistas of frozen plains and jagged crags. She understands rhythm. The timing of each word is perfect: sentences roll of the tongue, word after word. Her imagery is universal, elemental (ice, mountains, warmth) but also precise in del
Anna
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
It only took me, what, six months to read this giant thing? I feel pretty stupid taking this long to realize the agenda of a book of short stories: leave all of the good ones for the end -_-

I trudged through the first half of this book because the stories were pitiful. Boring, unimaginative, tedious. But when I got to the second half, great stories shone through, enough to bring my originally given two star rating to a four star.

Overall, it was worth the read. And I might pursue some other books
Fantasy Literature
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I don't like dragons.

This is probably not the first sentence you'd expect to find in a review of Wings of Fire, an anthology devoted exclusively to dragon stories, but I thought it best to get it out of the way right from the start.

There's nothing inherently wrong with dragons. They're just terribly overused, one of those tired genre mainstays that people who typically don't read a lot of fantasy will expect in a fantasy novel because they were practically unavoidable for a long time. To this da
Joy
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a surprisingly large collection of short stories, all with the subject of dragons. The range of interpretations of the theme is immense, from dragons as guardian spirits in a broken borderland town to a tiny otherwordly creature that falls in love with a woman in San Francisco. My favorite two were a funny one about St George and the Dragon, where it is revealed just how St George got his reputation, and the second was a story about Lien in France by Naomi Novik. I also picked up a few a ...more
Jen Jen
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally finished reading this collection of short stories about dragons! My favorites were Anne McCaffrey's "Weyr Search", a beautiful and emotional story, and Pat Murphy's "Dragon's Gate", which was just a really good story. Overall, a great collection, it just took awhile to get through it.
Peter
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like the fantasy genre once in a while, and I like short stories as a format for introducing ideas or character portraits. This was a very nice collection of stories, all of which involved dragons in one way or another. It isn't my normal fare, but the stories were generally excellent and I enjoyed it very much.
Kathy Sebesta
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A huge book of reprints. Some of my favorite stories - Weyr search, St dragon and the george, The george business - are here and welcome rereads. Others were new to me and more of a mixed bag. Overall this is a good place to spend some time.
Melva Timm
It took me a long time to finish this book. Most of the stories were okay, a few were great, and a few more were confusing and/or disappointing. I found myself reaching for other things to read instead of this book, which is unusual for me once I start a book.
Marie
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Maybe it's just because I like dragons, but this was one of the best short story collections I've ever read (and I read a fair number in the mystery and fantasy genres). The stories are diverse, but all magnificent. I'll reread it many times.
Graylark
May 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Read only (Temeraire #2.5) In Autumn, A White Dragon Looks Over The Wide River by Naomi Novik.

Interesting, but rather annoying. Lien is such a diva and a bitch.
Emily Brent
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dragons
I love books about dragons, and so the next best thing for me is an entire anthology of different stories by different authors all about dragons. I enjoyed reading this book sooooo much, it's amazing to see all the writing styles of the different authors. Also, it's just a fun book to read, with so many elements of surprise. This book will make you look at dragons in a new way, a way that you have never seen them before. Whether it's an ancient dragon struggling to survive, or a modern robot dra ...more
Gaston Keller
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Still reading... So far, some stories I liked, some stories I didn't. I guess that's how it goes with anthologies. I'll try to comment soon on some of the stories I've read so far.

[UPDATE]

The Rule of Names: Cute. Interesting.
The Ice Dragon: Good, though I was expecting more. Ice Dragons remained a mystery.
King Dragon: Couldn't get through the first few pages.
The Laily Worm: Liked it.
The Harrowing of the Dragon of Hoarsbreath: Good start, disappointing end.
The Bully and the Beast: Loved the begin
Amy
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm not really a big dragon story reader, but was very delighted by this collection.
My favorites were:

"Draco, Draco" by Tanith Lee
"Gwyndion and the Dragon" by C.J. Cherryh
Nicholas Driscoll
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Took me a long time to get through this one. The stories often frankly failed to grip me, despite my love of dragons. A lot of the stories I felt were kind of so-somwith boring characters or weird but boring dragons. Still, some of the stories were quite entertaining. The book is longer than you would first think, too, given that my iPad had like four pages for each one page counted in the book, so it was more like two thousand pages than five hundred I guess. Kind of weird formatting. The editi ...more
Harley
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves stories about dragons.
An excellent collection of short stories about dragons from various writers. I bought the book hoping that it would be a great book for my young daughter who loves stories about dragons. Unfortunately, she is too young for most of them. My most favorite story of the collection was Dragon's Gate by Pat Murphy, a great story about the power of storytelling. A must read.

Another favorite was The Man Who Painted the Dragon Griaule by Lucius Shepard. If you love stories of dragons, this book is a must
C
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it

Because books of short stories are meant (to me) to be flipped open and read at random, this would have been much better owned than borrowed. I missed a few stories in here, but the ones I read I loved. Especially (of course!) Patricia McKillip's, as well as George R.R.Martin's.

The Peter S. Beagle poem... he took that somewhere I didn't expect it to go!

Good weekend/vacation reading for dragon lovers! Lots of fantastic authors!
Greymalkin
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Ugh, I had grown spoiled by a string of exceptionally good anthologies and forgot what most of them are like. This one had an occasional story that was "okay" but most were forgettable and a few were so bad I couldn't finish them. It took me forever to get through this anthology and I'm a fast reader. Many of the stories were exerpts or stories that were published elsewhere, which particularly underscored the lack of a coherent vision.
Malcolm Logscribe
Nov 25, 2014 rated it liked it
I skipped some stories because they didn't appeal but found many that really, really did. I hadn't given Holly Black any time after reading and disliking Tithe as a teenager, but her story was so good I'll be seeking out more of her stuff. I read the story because it was my only access to Somtow, who I heard was very much worth reading, and... yes, he is, but his story is a bizarre experience. Many were. Approved.
N.E. White
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you are familiar with Jonathan Strahan’s anthology efforts, then you probably know about this anthology. I was not familiar with Strahan, nor did I know of this anthology’s existence until my brother handed me the thick tome and said, “It’s worth it.” So, there’s a chance that you may not know about it either. Let me tell you.
Miki
Aug 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
I have decided that short stories are the literary equivalent of "wham, bam, thank you, ma'am". The idea seems to be a good one but before you can really develop an interest, it's all over and there you have it - a waste of time and an overall unsatisfying experience. Personally, I'd rather read the back of a cereal box.
Momski
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I didn't read every single story - some didn't appeal to me, at least on that day. King Dragon by Swanwick was compelling, and turns out it is part of the novel Dragons of Babel. Anyway, at least half of the stories were fabulous - good writers like Le Guin, Ellison, George R R Martin, Yolen, Orson Scott Card.
Stefan
May 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
I don't like dragons.

Read the entire review here: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/zzas...

Chris
Apr 21, 2013 rated it liked it
A nice collection of stories, a couple that were really good, either being humorous or with a nice twist on a classic. Overall the stories themselves seemed to be just okay to me. The ones I did like though, I really liked. Gave it 3 stars because it was good but not amazing to me so didn't feel like it deserved more.
Debby Dietrich
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a book of short stories that center around dragons. The stories are written by some of the great lights in science fiction and fantasy. Some of the stories are great. Some are merely okay. Most are good. Nice read at bedtime as you can finish a story in about a half hour, turn off the light and drift into sleep without wondering what happens next.

• The Way of the Wizard
  • Leviathan Wept and Other Stories
  • Sympathy for the Devil
  • Year's Best Fantasy 2

Temeraire (9 books)
  • His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1)
  • Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2)
  • Black Powder War (Temeraire, #3)
  • Empire of Ivory (Temeraire, #4)
  • Victory of Eagles (Temeraire, #5)
  • Tongues of Serpents (Temeraire, #6)
  • Crucible of Gold (Temeraire, #7)
  • Blood of Tyrants (Temeraire, #8)
  • League of Dragons (Temeraire, #9)