Start by marking “Awakening to Sunlight” as Want to Read:
Awakening to Sunlight

Awakening to Sunlight

To embrace the future is to find the courage to accept the past.

Judith Hilford flees from an emotionally abusive relationship and accepts temporary lodging arranged by a friend until she can set her life on a new course. Lizzy Mayfield, a filmmaker who lost her lover three years ago, comes home from a business trip to find Judith and her child unexpectedly living in her ap
Published March 16th 2010 by Bold Strokes Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Awakening to Sunlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakening to Sunlight

Start your review of Awakening to Sunlight
Vic
Jan 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesfic
This was an ok read. Fairly enjoyable, though I felt it could have gone deeper, been more thorough in the portrayal of these characters. I never felt fully connected to either main character.

I was slightly confused as to why exactly Judith flees her past relationship, as the reasons were never fully explained, only kind of hinted at. We were told of certain things, but I never felt the impact of them. The author just skimmed the surface of both characters, and there could have been a lot of dep
Heinerway
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, toaster-oven
The story flows slowly and steadily towards the happy ending. There is no angst, no trouble and no misunderstanding. Just a beautiful story about two women thrown together by accident. All in all it is an enjoyable read.
Red Haircrow
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I particularly enjoyed the descriptions of Amsterdam, as I've not been there in years, plus I was reminded of my own beloved Berlin. Someone had suggested the improbability of the special kind of open generosity some Europeans show, in allowing someone they don’t know to share their home, renting out little used rooms, would be deemed too unbelievable for American readers, but I am very pleased the author has found so much positive response with open-minded readers "across the Pond." This is exa ...more
Line
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars
It was an OK book, but a bit slow paced and when things started to happen between the main characters it went a bit too quick for my taste.
First kiss at 90% and the book ends at 97.
S.M. Johnson
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-collection
The cover of Awakening to Sunlight didn't thrill me, but it was next in my reading pile from the 2011 Saints and Sinners Literary so I picked it up thinking I'd read a few pages before going to bed.

I didn't put it down until I finished it.

Awakening to Sunlight is a very apt title, and the story sweetly gets the reader completely involved in the characters. I found myself rooting for both Judith and Lizzie to "wake up" and embrace a full-fledged relationship.

There is no race-to-save-the-world plo
Rebecca
Mar 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was a little nervous that I wouldn't like this book, since the blurb mentioned loss, and the involvement of a child in the story...I was worried it would either be too gritty and depressing, or too overly optimisitic in the way that love would save the day. Actually, I loved it. The characters are perfectly drawn, the build up of the relationship is subtle and believeable, and the emotions are very touching. I couldn't put it down and found the ending truly uplifiting.
Jae Jae
Aug 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Lately, there were a number of books dealing with grief and new beginnings. This one is a solid read. Sometimes, the author told when she should have shown, but it’s still an enjoyable read.
Lissa
I feel like that I say this a lot when it comes to lezfic, but I really wanted to enjoy this book more than I actually did. I am so over the "straight woman discovers she's not so straight after all thanks to one hot lesbian" trope, which makes an appearance in this book, but I can usually overlook it - mostly - if the rest of the story is good - but this just isn't.

I believe that this is the author's first (and, so far, only) published book, which explains a lot. I have a feeling that if she ha
Hazey
You could believe this was a just another story about Gay meets Straight and they fall in love. But that is such a small part of this well balanced story. A wonderful sensitive novel by Lindsey Stone, about a lost love through death and how to continue to live without your soul mate. A promise made to live and love again is never easy for those left behind. This story takes you on a journey in a most surprising way. Very well written and the timing in this book is well paced, very clever.
Two wom
Phoebe
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Awakening to Sunlight by Lindsey Stone

Lindsey Stone gives us an intense and emotional relationship in Awakening to Sunlight. Judith escapes an emotionally abusive household with her child only to land on a stranger's doorstep who is suffering from her own demons.

When we first meet Lizzy she is emotionally closed off to everyone - even her close friends. Judith is a raw ball of emotions, which forces Lizzy out of shell just to be able to lend her a helping hand. Two wounded souls with no thought of love find a way together to jus
AJ
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, fiction, lesbian, lgbtqi
The writing in this book was a little awkward, and I feel like the author spelled out the character's motivations and actions a little too much, not leaving anything for suspense or mystery or for the reader to try and figure out on their own. The plot line was sweet but ultimately predictable. I did appreciate Judith as a character, as her life parallels mine in many ways... I just wish there could have been maybe a bit more character development and a little less rigidity in the plot. Ultimate ...more
Katherine Murray
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a very sweet book about overcoming hardship and learning to change your life for the better. I think it had a very good massage and although it was slightly samey for this genre there were still parts of it that were new and/or interesting enough to make it worth your while.
Ulla
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful, and wonderfully written story! Deeply felt, sweet, real and sincere!! A very pleasant surprise!
Lou Sylvre
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
A great story, setting, and characters. A little angsty.
Jane
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I think it was a very beautiful and realistically written story.
Amanda

• Crossroads
  • The Evolution of Jane
  • Annie on My Mind
  • Barbara the Slut and Other People
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1)
  • Survive the Night
  • Merker's Outpost
  • Middlegame (Middlegame, #1)
  • 32AA
  • The One You Fear (Emma Holden Suspense Mystery, #2)
  • The Confessions of X
  • Bound
  • Sam's Letters to Jennifer
  • Hard Cash (Hard Cash Trilogy, #1)
Lindsey Stone was born in the West-Midlands of England, but at the age of 13 emigrated to the Netherlands with her mother and brother. Although she often misses the British landscape and its traditional food, she is pleased to live in a country where sexual orientation is no longer grounds for discrimination and where homosexual couples and their rights are recognized and protected by the law.