Start by marking “Complete Works, Vol. 4: Old Times / No Man's Land / Betrayal / Monologue / Family Voices” as Want to Read:

Complete Works, Vol. 4: Old Times / No Man's Land / Betrayal / Monologue / Family Voices (Complete Works #4)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  236 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
This work collects some of the author's most famous writings, including plays, short stories, and essays.
Published January 13th 1994 by Grove Press (first published 1981)

Kali
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure I should really be rating this because I don't read a lot of plays. Obvs it's stellar, because Pinter won the Nobel Prize for Literature, yo.

A friend recommended that I read Betrayal, so that was why I picked this up, and I did really enjoy Betrayal and also Old Times. I was really captivated and intrigued by Old Times and wish I knew more about the interpretations that were out there.

Other plays in here definitely went over my head, I felt like I had such a hard time understanding
Mike
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Like the British reticence, minimalist dialogue.

notes/quotes
No Mans Land:
--drink order: As it is? (neat, ice-free)(that overheard term inspired the play)
--given a drink: Terribly kind of you
--raised empty glass: Who's the kindest among you?
109..bugger off
Betrayal:
222..Emma,after being quizzed about letter: we're lovers
....Robert: Ah. Yes. I thought it might be something like that, something along those lines.

Stephanie
Feb 06, 2009 added it
Shelves: 2009-plays
All I seem to be able to reliably finish lately are plays. Anyway, read this because I'm woefully ignorant of Pinter's work, especially given his status and influence, and was actually pleased and surprised by the plays. Don't know exactly what I was expecting, but something different.

Of these, Betrayal was my favorite, and I liked but definitely did not get No Man's Land. Still not rating collections of plays, though (and perhaps not plays generally, haven't decided yet).
Allie
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really like Harold Pinter's plays. That is my latest discovery! Interesting, often incomprehensible, with beginnings set in media res and endings that make no sense; I delighted in whatever plot I could follow and thoroughly enjoyed the nonsense I could not. This will not be the last time I dabble in Pinter!
Sam Ruddick
Jul 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
"betrayal" and "no man's land" are excellent, of course, but "old times" is astonishing.
Jocelyn
Jan 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama
My first encounter with Pinter by text rather than reputation. Startling, dangerous, contemptuous, infuriating but never dull. Even when it should be.
Charlie
May 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
I like Old Times the best.
Stuart Estell
May 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Reading these has made me want to explore much more of Pinter's works...
Heather Boaz
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
For myself: need to read more Pinter.
Cheyanne
Mar 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
still reading
Pace
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love the way Pinter uses swear words, like they are everyday, normal, acceptable, funny words.
David
Oct 04, 2011
Sunil
Nov 01, 2007
Will Pommerening
rated it did not like it
Oct 02, 2012
  • Long Stay in a Distant Land: A Novel
  • The Portable Arthur Miller
  • Sleuth
  • Love-Lies-Bleeding
  • Four Plays: Summer and Smoke / Orpheus Descending / Suddenly Last Summer / Period of Adjustment
  • Sexual Perversity in Chicago & The Duck Variations
  • Lilith
  • The Lady's Not for Burning
  • Time Flies and Other Short Plays
  • Selected Poems and Four Plays
Harold Pinter, CH, CBE, was an English playwright, screenwriter, actor, director, political activist and poet. He was one of the most influential playwrights of modern times. In 2005 he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature.

After publishing poetry and acting in school plays as a teenager in London, Pinter began his professional theatrical career in 1951, touring throughout Ireland. From 1952,
More about Harold Pinter...

Complete Works (4 books)
  • Complete Works, Vol. 1: The Birthday Party / The Room / The Dumb Waiter / A Slight Ache / A Night Out / The Black and White / The Examination
  • Complete Works, Vol. 2: The Caretaker / The Dwarfs / The Collection / The Lover / Night School / Revue Sketches
  • Complete Works, Vol. 3: The Homecoming / Tea Party / The Basement / Landscape / Silence / Revue Sketches