Start by marking “Snapdragon Alley” as Want to Read:
Snapdragon Alley

Read Book

Snapdragon Alley

(The Dragon City Series #1)

3.24  ·  Rating details ·  349 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Ten year old friends Alex and Sapphire discover something strange on the city bus map, a street that existed for only one year. As they set out to solve the mystery, they encounter the possibility of another world, another dimension perhaps, lurking in a vacant lot, but they are not the only ones on the trail. Who will discover the truth, and who will pay the price? Book O ...more
Nook, Free, 0 pages
Published November 15th 2009 by Smashwords, Inc. (first published November 13th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Snapdragon Alley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snapdragon Alley

Charlotte Jones
Apr 04, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a simple but fun mystery novel, suitable for all ages, about a group of three children that discover a road that apparently doesn't exist. Although it is short, it ends in a really interesting and mysterious way that has made me anxious to read the next instalment in this four part series. The protagonists are all very young which adds to the innocence and endearing qualities of the novel and I will definitely be checking out the sequels!
Kristy
Jun 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Good story, definitely interesting; has a lot of humor in it. I wouldn't call it the best fantasy book I've read, and I think the fact that the trilogy name is Dragon City threw me off into thinking it was about dragons, but otherwise it's good. Kids find a street name that doesn't actually exist and discover that it might be an alternate reality.
Suzie Hunt
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Had a weirdly hypnotic feel to it. Conclusion was slightly disappointing, but the build up was nice.
Pop Bop
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Like Most Lichtenberg, It's All About the Journey, Not the Destination

This novella has a plot. Some kids find a mysterious reference, on an old bus route map, to a street that doesn't seem to exist anymore, (if it ever did). Said kids head out to find it. Maybe they do and maybe they don't, and maybe they should and maybe they shouldn't. Doesn't really matter. At least the story has a beginning, a middle, and an end, and as post-postmodern playfulness goes this is more coherent than most. What d
Caleb Blake
May 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
Snapdragon Alley is an intriguing little tale about a place that isn't. The book is the first in what is called the Dragon City Trilogy.

There is a mechanism used sometimes in movies and TV serials where the start contains a setting from some years ago that give a hint of something; an old crime, an abduction, a mysterious disappearance. This is followed by the current day story.

Snapdragon Alley is like that "prologue". Something happens some years ago to three children and an uncle that sets up
Andrea Ika
Review : SnapDragon Alley (book one of Dragon City)

Tom Litchtenberg

Synopsis
Ten year old friends Alex and Sapphire discover something strange on the city bus map – a street that existed for only one year. As they set out to solve the mystery, they encounter the possibility of another world, another dimension perhaps, lurking in a vacant lot, but they are not the only ones on the trail. Who will discover the truth, and who will pay the price required by the witchcraft of positive thinking?(goodrea
DJ
Jan 12, 2013 rated it liked it
An adventure story about two brothers and a girl friend solving the mystery behind a missing street that showed up on a Bus map for one year and disappeared the following year. Not everything is what it seems is the theme ongoing. I liked the book enough that I want to download the other two books to finish the series. Its a short story that kept me interested throughout. I do question on the age appropriate language. This is supposed to be geared towards younger kids and it has the words balls ...more
moxieBK
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Book 1 on Dragon City.

I wasn't sure what to think of this younger child (middle-school) story when I first started reading it. It didn't make a lot of sense to me. But it was reading fast. At the end of the book, I'm still not sure what to make of it. But it did read fast! (In all honesty, this book was on my "To-Read" pile for so long that I didn't remember it was a kid's book.)

I did like it, but when it ended, it just ended, and then jumped ten years into the future. That was kind of weird. Al
Pariskarol
Aug 21, 2015 rated it liked it
This free book (thanks, author!) is the first in a four-part series. With point-of-view characters under the age of 11, it was like YA fiction and had the potential to be a respectable member of that genre -- had anything actually happened (action being a key YA fiction feature).

Yet I'm compelled to read the rest of the series because I'm intrigued by the premise--door between worlds-- and hope something interesting will happen directly involving the kids.

So far they are just wandering around t
Jillian
Dec 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I thought this book started off well with unique characters with intriguing hobbies. The story of their uncle and what Mason told them seemed to set up the story for a climatic ending. The fact that the book's introduction talked about some 'price' to be paid had my expectations up.

I was sadly disappointed with the abrupt ending. Nothing seemed explained and the book immediately skips at the end to three very average - near depressing teenagers.

It seemed the only purpose of the book was to show
Krystl Louwagie
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I feel like this book might have been the best in this little not-so-great series. It even felt better written, which is odd, because it's the first one as far as I know. Maybe the author had more vision and drive, and by the other ones he was just finishing it up. This story did seem to have more purpose and direction. And maybe since it centered on kids, the "simple" style of writing seemed more fitting.

Anyways, this told the story of two young best friends investigating the bus route in their
Jimmy
Oct 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jimmy by: iTunes.com
I don’t agree with some of the reviewers. I found this book to be highly imaginative and fun to read. The only thing that kind of got on my nerves is the outrageous rambunctiousness of Sapphire. The ten year olds’ need for adventure and independence is reminiscent of Stand By Me. The author had me just as needful and demanding as the brothers Alex and Argus to learn the mystery of Snapdragon Alley. The involvement of their presumed dead uncle only enriches the story further. Warning, the story e ...more
Jimmy
Nov 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
I'll start by saying this is the first of four books so I wasn't expecting it to "conclude". It centres on 3 children, Alex and his younger brother Argus, and Alex's friend, Sapphire. They find a name on a bus map that they can't find and so the mystery starts. Well written with good character development although lots of room still for more.

It's quite a short book so I will be moving onto book 2 swiftly.
Paul Allard
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the first part of a fantasy trilogy for children. quite intriguing as Alex, his younger brother Argus and his friend Sapphire look for a fantasy world/dimension/facet at the end of the bus line in their US city. It ends on a bit of a cliffhanger leading into the second volume, Freak City (which I've not read yet). Well-written, it should appeal to children who enjoy fantasy stories but leaves the reader wanting to know more.
Georgeanna
Aug 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Not a stand-alone book., August 27, 2011
This review is from: Snapdragon Alley (Dragon City Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
I liked the characters. I liked the premise. I liked the author's ability to make me see the scenes as I read them. My problem with this book is that it has no ending. No questions answered. Nothing resolved. I realize it's the first part of a trilogy, but it should really be the opening chapters of a novel.
Mike
This review is actually for the whole series. The only reason I read these books was because they were free and they were priced just about right. The concept was good, but the author never really delivered on that promise. It also felt kind of like I was reading some of my high school student's papers, there were lots of mistakes and really immature writing.
Jun 29, 2011 rated it liked it
3 children discover an alley that is located on one map but then disappears on the newer maps. Children set out to discover the secret of this missing place called SnapDragon Alley. I enjoyed this book and liked the different story, there are 2 other books that follow. It was a good read for being a free e book.
Linda
Jun 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, ebooks, fiction
Short book, fast read. Interestingly storyline, could easily have been developed deeper and into a more complete story, it almost seemed as if the author did not know where to really take it so they just ended it. But as a short story it was a good read.
Jeni
Jul 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
This was an unusual short story of...well thats the thing, i think its up to the reader to decide. Childhood fantasy? Magic? Adult mental issues?
It was enjoyable, but the text was a little wordy in places.

If you've got a couple of hours, its worth a look. Maybe on a bus journey?
Jen
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: keepers, kindle
It was for free on Kindle and worth it. It was a short novella, so it was a quick read and while the ending wasn't all disney, it was still satisfying. I downloaded the other two, also for free and I'm glad I did. I look forward to reading them.
Liberum Latine
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this, but something was wrong with the ebook formatting, which I doubt was the author's fault. Sections of the book went dark and I had to keep switching from black to white to sepia. Still, it was a fun read.
Sonia
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
My favorite was Dragon Town. This one left too many unanswered questions.
Paula
Mar 20, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book was so boring, it isn't worth writing about.
Thomas Roth
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Interesting little story. Pretty well written.
Lindsay
Oct 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: z2011, fantasy
This started off quite interesting and then just kind of fizzled out.
Victoria
Aug 10, 2011 rated it did not like it
I'm on the third chapter, reading it on my Kindle, and I just can't get in to it... I guess that's what happens when you can only afford the free eBooks, huh?
Jacquel
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think that this is a good but very short story about a mysterious place where very few people know about.
Annie
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this about 1000 times more than I thought I would. Great characters.
Sandra
Jun 21, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebies
Free on Nook
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Mortal Ghost
  • The Demon Queen And The Locksmith
  • Into the Abyss (Rogue Hunter: Gaia #1)
  • Whirl of the Wheel
  • Concrete Underground
  • The Samurai Strategy
  • Fall Girl
  • Golde the Mother (Lost Tales of Mercia, #1)
  • Monster in the Mirror
  • Treasure Lost
  • Haven (The Fall of Haven #1)
  • Xenolith
  • In the Spotlight (Mayne Attraction, #1)
  • For Sale In Palm Springs (Henry Wright #1)
  • Outta the Bag (Cadence Jones, #0.5)
  • The Middle Passage (Cat Royal, #5.5)
  • Cain's Apples
  • The Friend Request
I've written a lot of stories, and one thing I've learned is that stories have a life. They want to be read, and they're brought to life by readers. Readers give them meaning, give them substance and fulfill their destinies. Stories aren't picky about who reads them. They welcome everyone. Money means nothing to them - they don't care how much the reader paid and they equally don't care how much t ...more

The Dragon City Series (4 books)
  • Freak City
  • Dragon Town
  • Happy Slumbers

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49