Start by marking “1999: A Novel of the CelticTiger and the Search for Peace” as Want to Read:
1999: A Novel of the CelticTiger and the Search for Peace

1999: A Novel of the CelticTiger and the Search for Peace

(Irish Century Novels #5)

The Irish Century concludes in this climactic novel; Llywelyn's masterpiece is complete

The Irish Century series is the story of the Irish people's epic struggle for independence through the tumultuous course of the twentieth century. Morgan Llywelyn's magisterial multi-novel chronicle of that story began with 1916, which was followed by 1921, 1949, and 1972. It now conclud
Published July 1st 2010 by Forge Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about 1999, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1999

Matt
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the final novel of her Irish Century series, Morgan Llywelyn offers readers a high-impact story that ties off much of the violence and political clashes that left the region stained in blood. Barry Halloran continues his life as a photojournalist, eager to capture Ireland as a whole while the North is still under British control. While the world advances through the years, it would seem that Anglo-Irish relations as it relates to uniting the thirty-two colonies has reached a standstill. Meanw ...more
Sara
Sep 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picking up right where 1972 left off, Bloody Sunday, 1999 is the final novel in the Irish Century series. This book is filled to the brim with the tension, mayhem and horror that marked the last quarter of the 20th century in Ireland. Events from Bloody Sunday, the random murders of the Irish people for nothing more than their religion, the bombing of Dublin, the explosion that killed Lord Mountbatten and his grandchildren while boating, the interment of suspected Volunteers in inhumane conditio ...more
Katy M
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book felt rushed. I don't know if the author just got sick of the series. Or, if there was too much info for one book, but not enough for two. The last 10 years or so just felt like it was on fast forward.

I haven't like Ursula since 1949, and while she was more likeable as an old lady, I didn't really feel she redeemed herself in my eyes. And, Barbara. Is anyone really that self-centered? We are all, every one of us, self-centered to a certain degree. But, I swear, Barbara thinks people exi
Judy Dhuse
Overall I liked the series. It gave me a better understanding of the struggles Ireland has gone through to obtain independence. This book felt rushed and disjointed however. Because the fictional characters no longer seemed to be involved in events happening around them, a lot of information seemed as an aside and no longer as important as it should have been. Still the book was OK and I still learned quite a bit about what was going on when I was of an age to pay attention to the violence going ...more
John Kalnberg
Good but seemed like the author ran out of steam

I enjoyed the series and reading this is a necessary part of finishing 5hat. However, this individual book was short on plot and includes a lot of pure listing of what happened. As history it is interesting, as a novel the other books in the series were much better.
Joe McMahon
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to agree with the general mood of the other reviewers. There were some inconsistencies in the fictional plot, but it was bearable. Two topics stand out in my interest: the extent to which loyalty can be destructive; and the role of collusion between a government's secret agencies and people who murder.
Tom Garland
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this entire series...historical fiction of an Irish family as Ireland progressed into an independent nation. If you read this book start with 1916, 1923, 1949, 1972 and final book 1999. Great writer...beautifully. Great historical context not just in Ireland but around the world. I learned a lot about the struggle for Irish independence.
Gene
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like all of her books. I’ve come away with a profound dislike of Great Britain. I hope Brexit destroys Northern Ireland and the UK. The Brits deserve the worst that can possibly occur to their crappy island.
Erin
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book and loved this series. I will miss the characters and the insight in to Irish and world history, Maybe it's time for a book about Barry's children.
Mary Alaga
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the best series I have ever read. From 1916 to 1999, I feel that I have a better understanding of the Irish experience. How the Irish just wanted to be their own country, to be free to rule themselves, but the interests and the might of the English government wouldn't allow it .
I remember the the one sided filtered press that we (the U.S.) got about what was happening in Ireland. The atrocities committed by the IRA, but not the atrocities committed by the British Military. We he
Katrina
While I didn't enjoy this book as some of the others in the series, overall it was a good book! I didn't think the author did as well of a job explaining all the different parts of Irish politics in the late 70s, 1980s and 1990s but it was good none the less. The one thing I really didn't like about it and why it didn't get four stars was (view spoiler) ...more
Tom
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the best historical fiction I've ever read. In fact, most of these books in her Irish Century series have been a little dull. I like the story, and liked the exposure to the characters thinking. Inasmuch as I lived through a lot of the events talked about in the book, or rather, I was alive during, it was interesting to see them from a different point of view. The story itself, though, is fairly week, and the book is only as long as it is because of the use of quotes and little snipp ...more
Joe Kendall
This is the last book in a gripping series about the Irish Troubles during the twentieth century. This last installment takes place between Blood Sunday 1972 and 1999. Llywelyn does a fantastic job bringing the reader in and ride the emotional roller-coaster that is the Irish life. She does a fantastic job of showing all the good that the IRA could do and all the bad that they did with it. How the different sects of unionists were ruthless to anyone that was not them. And how the British managed ...more
Pam Diggins
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a really difficult time rating this book and series.
It is a very readable way to learn the history of 20th century Ireland as it mixes actual history with the fictional Halloran family's story over several generations. My criticism is that the author's presentation at times was unsophisticated and also random facts and world history were not smoothly cited.
But I ended up giving it 4 stars as it was so informative without the dryness of a textbook. The books certainly enriched my last two
Alma  Ramos-McDermott
Barry Halloran’s personal fight as a photojournalist against Ireland’s occupation by the British continues in the last book of The Irish Century series. In “1999” readers are infused with information about the various IRA Republican factions which continued their battles for a united Ireland, contrasted with crimes committed against Catholics by British and Protestant organizations aided and abetted by local police. Read the rest of the review on my blog: https://shouldireaditornot.wordpress....
Amanda
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took a while to get through this last one but worthwhile and educational series!!

I felt that this novel had less character development, that it simply focused on fact and less on emotion and the characters.

BUT so glad I read them. Loved the whole series!! I just wish there was a little more life in this conclusion.
Kathryn
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the last in a set of novels covering a century of Irish history. Well-written and researched with a true flavor of the culture and politics of the nation, I now want nothing more than to read more about the country's history, which is far more complicated than the BBC would have had us believe.
Cris
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth book in Llywelyn's Irish Troubles series. All of them are well-written books. I was in Ireland twice during the late 90s as the peace talks emerged. This particular book targets that recent history and is the stronger part of the book. The family story line in this one almost gets in the way of the unfolding violent and challenging 1970-1990 Irish history timeline.
Karen Gibson
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the final book in Llywelyn's Irish Century series. It was good, but somehow this one and 1972 just didn't draw me in like the first three books of the series did. I'm glad I read the whole series, though. I feel like I have a little better grasp of the players and events in Ireland's quest for independence.
Michele
Mar 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm usually very opposed to mixing fiction and non-fiction, but I think Llywelyn does it about as well as anyone could. I loved this entire series. I'm sorry there are no more novels to follow in this series, but that's really a good thing, given the subject matter.
Candy
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The final book of the series was as absorbing and informative as the other books. I'm so glad that I read this series. I've learned a lot about the history of Ireland and better understand the situation between the North and the South.
Shawna
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I loved this book, I had the same problem as I did with 1972. I couldn't get attached to the characters throughout the story. I enjoyed the story itself and if you've already read the rest of the series, you should absolutely check it out.
Mary Korey
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read about a time I lived but told through different eyes. The book is well researched.
Kathy
Apr 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fifth in a series about the history of Ireland. The author is one of my favorites.
Vionna
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final book kept telling the story of life in Ireland which was fraught with danger and hatred. Peace finally came to gorgeous country. The characters in this book will long be remembered.
Kathleen

Much slower moving than other books in the series, but a fitting conclusion overall.
Esther
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the story itself seemed slightly weaker than in the other books. but irish peace talks amd its setbacks tell a story of their own
Susan
Dec 17, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry to see this series end.

This was not the strongest book of the series but still an excellent read.
Natasha
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE Ireland and LOVE historical fiction so these are a favorite
Gail
Jul 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Irish History - the way it was so not very long ago..must read before a trip to Northern Ireland!!

• The Claddagh Ring: Ireland's Cherished Symbol of Friendship, Loyalty, and Love
  • The Tenants of Time  (The Thomas Flanagan Trilogy #2)
  • Shannon
  • Mick: The Real Michael Collins
  • Mother Ireland: A Memoir
  • The Red-Haired Girl from the Bog: The Landscape of Celtic Myth and Spirit
  • Devoted Ladies
Morgan Llywelyn (born 1937) is an American-born Irish author best known for her historical fantasy, historical fiction, and historical non-fiction. Her fiction has received several awards and has sold more than 40 million copies, and she herself is recipient of the 1999 Exceptional Celtic Woman of the Year Award from Celtic Women International.

Irish Century Novels (5 books)
  • 1916: A Novel of the Irish Rebellion
  • 1921: The Great Novel of the Irish Civil War
  • 1949: A Novel of the Irish Free State
  • 1972: A Novel of Ireland's Unfinished Revolution (Irish Century)
“We have freedom of the press; I think it’s guaranteed in the Constitution or something.”   The” 1 likes