Start by marking “The Dragon and the Stars” as Want to Read:
The Dragon and the Stars

The Dragon and the Stars

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  93 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
An all-new anthology of Chinese culture-inspired science fiction

This unique collection of science fiction tales demonstrates the diversity of the Chinese experience around the world, merging China's rich heritage with new traditions, offering North American readers an opportunity to discover these exciting writers.
Published May 4th 2010 by DAW (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon and the Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon and the Stars

Paige  Bookdragon
Nov 06, 2015 marked it as to-read
Chinese stories are badass...
Mrs Giggles
Nov 12, 2013 rated it liked it
The Dragon And The Stars sells itself as an anthology of "original short stories melding the rich cultural heritage of China with the imaginative realms of science and fantasy". The editors Derwin Mak and Eric Choi explain in the afterword that the anthology wants to feature Chinese characters in a non-stereotypical light. While all this sounds good to a Chinese like me, I can only look at the cover art and wonder why a Western dragon is on it. The stories inside are just as confused about the p ...more
Lisa
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
**** 1/2 - The Character of the Hound by Tony Pi - story focused mostly on events and the importance of different meanings of characters, the latter which would make little sense in an English-based culture.
** The Fortunes of Ms. Yu - Charles Tan - Sadly meh on this one since I don't believe in "fortunes" and the story was too short to establish the belief inside it.
***** Goin' Down to Anglotown - William F. Wu - I wouldn't say this was the best one, but picturing the white Americans as the seco
Lexie
Feb 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-once-owned
Before I start this review, I want to note something that’s more than a little important to the understanding of this book. This is an anthology written solely by ethnic Chinese writers who live outside of China proper. In her introduction Tess Gerritsen explores the fact that growing up, she was immersed in the Chinese culture–its superstitions, cultural beliefs, etc., but as she grew up she felt less “Chinese” and more “American”: “I believed in science, not superstition. As my memories of chi ...more
Cathy Green
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
In their afterward, editors Derwin Mak and Eric Choi explain that the genesis of The Dragon and the Stars was when Mak went to the Worldcon in Yokohama, met a number of science fiction writers from China and was asked to write an article on Canadian Chinese science fiction writers for a major Chinese science fiction magazine. Mak and Choi have assembled eighteen stories from the Chinese diaspora, primarily writers of Chinese ancestry from North America, but also including writers from Singapore, ...more
Mary Fan
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this anthology after meeting one of the editors and contributing authors, Derwin Mak, at the Ad Astra convention in Toronto earlier this year. And it was one whose premise sold itself. I mean, a collection of sci-fi/fantasy stories inspired by Chinese mythology and experiences? Yes please! I myself am Chinese American, and one of my biggest gripes is that Chinese people--Asians in general, in fact--are virtually invisible in the world of sci-fi/fantasy. Unless you're reading or watch ...more
Ira Nayman
Jan 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Anthologies are tricky. No matter how hard you try, different authors will have different levels of imagination and writing skills; while you hope that every story will be a gem, the odds are highly against it. I have read a few anthologies in the past few months, and am delighted that they all maintained a high hit to miss ratio.

One such book is The Dragon and the Stars, edited by Derwin Mak and Eric Choi. This volume collects 18 stories written by members of the Chinese diaspora, and is full o
Michèle
Aug 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: science-fiction
Too often, Asian characters in stories written by North Americans are so stereotypical that they feel phony (think martial arts fighter, magical Buddhist monk, or the Chinese girlfriend of the hero, or various villains). It's about time two Canadians, Derwin Mak and Eric Choi, tapped the potential of Canadian and Chinese authors in creating compelling SFF stories!

Derwin wrote The Polar Bear carry the mail, a story of hope in a spaceport set- in all places -- at Churchill, Manitoba, with Inuit a
Melissa Yuan-Innes
Jul 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is one sweet story collection.

And I'm not just saying that because I'm in it. Hey, I know it's uncool to pick one of your own books. But this is a whole collection of authors, including Eugie Foster, who just won the 2010 Nebula Award for Best Novelette.

This anthology got me at hello. Tess Gerritsen--yes, the NYT-bestselling author--wrote the intro. Then Tony Pi hits it home with "The Character of the Hound," which had me twitching in my chair, I loved the combination of Chinese calligraphy
Shomeret
Most of these stories were either original or well-written, not both. I'm the sort of reader that is willing to forgive much if the concept of a story delights me, but I really prefer the writing to be up to par. Well-written stories on familiar themes are enjoyable, but not particularly memorable.

Yet the very first tale in this anthology is exceptional. "The Character of the Hound" by Toni Pi which takes place in China during the Song Dynasty, deals with the concept that tattoos prepare the bod
Shanshad Whelan
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Better than average collection of short stories around a cultural theme. I can't say the whole of it was excellent--there were a few stories that left me blinking and wondering what the heck I was reading. There were a smattering of rather pedestrian stories that were decent. And there were some gems among them. "The Character of the Hound" is a great historical fantasy piece that is among the best.

Some might be thrown by the fact these aren't all stories that take place in China or are about C
tawnie
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Some of the stories were really good. I liked 'The Character of the Hound', 'Lips of Ash', and 'Shadow City'. Fox spirits and body jumping ancestors, oh my. 'Goin down to Anglotown' had an interesting premise of Asians being the majority in the western US but didn't really go anywhere with it. Oh, and there's a story with a steampunk dragon thrown in for fun.

Some of the stories weren't so good, or didn't really qualify as SF or fantasy, which was the advertised theme of the anthology, aside fro
Jessica
Jun 16, 2010 rated it liked it
The story concepts were wide ranging, from historical fantasy to rocketship science fiction and from folklore to steampunk. There were a few, like Lips of Ash by Huang and Mortal Clay, Stone Heart by Foster that seemed complete and fabulous in short story form. There were others, like The Character and the Hound by Pi or The Water Weapon by Clough that seemed like they might be setting up books or series that I would be very excited to read. Then there were a few that were just... not to my tast ...more
E.M. Tippetts
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
E.M. Tippetts / Emily Mah

My short story, "Across the Sea", is in this anthology, so I won't pretend to be impartial. Derwin Mak and Eric Choi sought submissions from ethnically Chinese authors of science fiction and fantasy. Nearly all of us reside in North America and this project was a beautiful exploration of so many different voices from the diaspora.
Jenni Halpin
Jun 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I LOVE that this anthology exists.

The stories represent a wide variety of genres...so wide that I suspect there's nobody who's going to find that they all land in the sweet spot. That said, they were all good, some EXCELLENT.

I'm particularly happy to have a few new authors to keep an eye out for.
Steve
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it
A collection of short stories my Chinese-American authors. Interesting in that they offer a different point of view, filled with Chinese mythology. Some of the stories are better than others, which is to be expected for an anthology. Overall, an enjoyable collection.
Scott Neigh
This is a collection of science fiction and fantasy short stories from people in the Chinese diaspora. Like any collection, it has stronger and weaker entries, but if you like sci-fi/fantasy short stories it is definitely worth reading.
Kate
Feb 03, 2011 rated it liked it
These stories range from good to mediocre. Some like "The Character of the Hound" and "The Water Weapon" storylines felt like they could have been expanded on (maybe even become novellas or novels in themselves).
Urania
Jan 05, 2010 added it
My story "The Right to Eat Decent Food" is in it! How can it not be a winner?
Tricia (McAllister) Houseman
decent book. some of the stories were just not the type I prefer to read. But they were still well written
Gillian
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wide range of stories with both science fiction and fantasy. Really liked that the authors and stories were from all over the world, not just North America.
Courtney
Feb 04, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: short-story, own
Found this gem at Busboys & Poets. Score!
Holden Lee
Jan 10, 2012
Gretchen Beck
Feb 23, 2017
Lynda Kilburn
rated it did not like it
Jan 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Murder and Mayhem : In Their Footsteps / Under the Knife / Call After Midnight
  • Dragon Fantastic