Start by marking “Monsters & Magical Sticks” as Want to Read:
Monsters & Magical Sticks

Monsters & Magical Sticks

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  215 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Helps you to know how hypnosis really works. This book lets you know the 'magic' behind Ericksonian techniques and Neuro-Linguistic Programming.
Published October 8th 2009 by Original Falcon Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Monsters & Magical Sticks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monsters & Magical Sticks

Richard Stephenson
May 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Highly recommended.

Have you ever learned something without really knowing you're learning something? Whoa ho ho ho is this the book for you! This is a fine example of Ericksonian Storytelling and I'm sorry to tell you, but if you read this book ...you will learn something useful... whether or not you realize it right away!

Too cool, interesting, useful, and revealing to put into words... especially when this book helps you come to realize that words are just that - symbols that don't mean much, o
Tushar Tyagi
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I consider myself a fairly logical person who tries to find reason behind everything that's presented to me. So when I came to know about this book (it's rated pretty well on amazon), and that it deals with the subject of Hypnosis (or not), I had to read it. I have so many other books in my to-read list and with so little time, reading this was a make or break deal for me. If I found the whole system of hypnosis working (or logical and reasonable), I'd add similar books on my to-read list; if no ...more
Arlo
Apr 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author Steven Heller brings all his hypnotic skills to bear in writing this thought altering book, which shatters common misconceptions about what "Hypnosis" is, or is not, proving, once and for all, that "There's no such Thing as Hypnosis?"

There is much within to delight anyone with an intellectual interest in how the human mind works, or anyone with any curiosity or interest in not only hypnosis, but persuasion or philosophy, or indeed humanity in general.

With a focus on how this knowledge can
Collin Reeve
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Hard to find a technical manual on clinical hypnosis that's this much fun to read. In classic Heller style he uses experiential learning
Richard
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Despite the mystical look and the use of the word magical! on the front cover, this isn't a stare at a crystal ball and see some magical witches come zooming out of a billowy fog through aload of angelic stardust kind of thing. Its really practical, and compares the hypnotic process to what we already do with the symbols and experiences we encounter.

There's loads of case examples where the author gets people(who are often skeptics of the process)into hypnotic states in about 2 seconds. Like a b
Ray
Oct 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books on Trance induction and hypnosis.
But more than that .. this book will give a novice trance technician insights into how an experienced hypnotist can speak to another person at a higher/lower meta level and slip in understandings under the radar of conscious thought.

Experienced hypnotists will also benefit from reading his insights into pain management, working with children, and how to slip in suggestions in ordinary conversations.

Because everyone is always in some tr
Polina
Aug 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book could not really hold my interest although the subject matter is the one I have studied and like to learn more about. I found the concepts presented were either too familiar or irrelevant (case studies and suggestions for hypnotherapists to try with their clients). I could not make myself read it from cover to cover, but by simply skimming picked up a few useful ideas but nothing ground breaking. Good one to read for either hypnotherapists or those with limited knowledge in the nlp/hyp ...more
Juliana
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A hypnotic read for those who believe hypnosis exists, otherwise, an interesting and experiential read where author Steven Heller guides the reader into internal processes of learning, unlearning, and relearning. I like that Heller describes the subtleties of his work, many found in case studies in the Therapeutic Applications section. This is a book for practising hypnotists, or people who interact with other people and with themselves on a daily basis. Humorous read. Recommended alongside anot ...more
Jim
Oct 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here is something I learned...

Good, you are are a very logical person but in the past you have been illogical in your attempts to solve your problem. After all if logic were the answer, you would have logically solved the problem. Since Logic has failed you it's illogical to do more of the same.

(pg 152)
Holly
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hypnosis is everywhere; we're all bring hypnotized on a daily basis. This book provides amazing insight on this truth. You don't have to go see a hypnotist, or magician... If your curiosity is peaked, read this! Super quick and simple read, too!
Dawn
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very easy read that talks about the different trance states in hypnotherapy in a simple and practical way. Many 'aha' moments in this book for me
Gabriel
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow what a great book! I learned so much from this book. I just finished it and want to reread it already.
Aletheia
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable read, and thank goodness was not hard to follow. Beautiful case examples and practical information. Finely executed .
Aaron Bolin
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pop-science
Good info...could be useful in the right context.

Kasey
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone/everyone
Recommended to Kasey by: me
WOA GREAT! used it for a research paper and its really easy to understand:)
Stefan Rhyner
Great book about how to know how people work...more or less. interesting ways of thinking
Jinan
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and comprehensive but simply told, realistic, and very easy to grasp. Second step is to turn theory into practice.
Igor
Apr 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • My Voice Will Go with You: The Teaching Tales of Milton H. Erickson
  • Trancework: An Introduction to the Practice of Clinical Hypnosis
  • Uncommon Therapy: The Psychiatric Techniques of Milton H. Erickson, M.D.
  • Trance-Formations: Neuro-Linguistic Programming and the Structure of Hypnosis
  • Frogs Into Princes
  • Hypnotic Realities: The Induction of Clinical Hypnosis and Forms of Indirect Suggestion With...
  • Handbook of Hypnotic Suggestions and Metaphors