Start by marking “Holy Bible (TNIV)” as Want to Read:
Holy Bible (TNIV)

Holy Bible (TNIV)

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  493 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Endorsed by scholars and pastors across the country, the TNIV is the new translation for today's generation. It combines uncompromising reliability, the clarity of today's language, and the heritage of the most trusted translation, the NIV.
Published September 9th 2008 by Zondervan (first published June 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Holy Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Bible

Chris
Jul 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always have to give the Bible five stars--it really is an amazing book. As for this translation, I really enjoyed it. The TNIV has the feel and readability of the NIV, although the wordings more frequently diverge from traditional phrasing to fresh renditions. One of the most notable changes is the use of gender-inclusive language where appropriate. My impression is that the TNIV is more judicious in making these changes than the NRSV, which seems to change almost everything, even when it seems ...more
Natalia
It was like watching a charlton heston movie (as far as the descriptions and 'feel' of it)! Lots of gore, violence, sex, fear and loathing... and uplifting notes to cope with it all! Great history book or moreso, book of 'memoirs'. As THE most talked about book going - I thought it should be read cover to cover. It did change my perspective on many 'religious' issues (as far as understanding what parts of particular religions come from the Bible and how they must have interpreted it) but, it did ...more
Merilee
Jan 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to read the Bible through
Recommended to Merilee by: TJ Southerland
This is an amazing presentation of the Bible. It is easy to read because verse and chapter markers have been eliminated. Also, the text is not in columns, like most Bibles - rather, it reads all the way across the page in normal paragraph form (except for songs/poetry, which are centered in the middle and look like lyrics should.)

Besides all that, the books are arranged in a sensible order (chronologically in the order that they were written, for the most part) and the introductions to each book
Bender
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Esse in et velit. Quisquam iusto sed quia fuga eveniet et. Sint aut quia expedita temporibus. Quia iste necessitatibus atque dicta optio quisquam aliquid. Quae facilis voluptatem ad repellat et harum.
Lavonne
Yes, I read the Bible cover to cover from January to March. And since I'm completely unqualified to rate or review the Bible, I'll leave it at that. But I would recommend reading the Bible to anyone.
Nicole Ankenmann
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Audiobook: 20h.32m.

For the first time in my life, I personally understand why everybody was so keen to kill Jesus. The performances in this (NIV) audio Bible make it so clear that what Jesus was saying was outrageous, and outrage finally felt like the natural consequence of his public ministry. If you do no other new thing this year, dear Christian, listen to this version of the Gospels. It will change you.

The one detail in this presentation that I didn't love was the choice to insert musical b
Nicole
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Word of God is powerful. I like this bible for the extra insights it provides for women. The TNIV version is very understandable.
Rick
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best wide margin Bible I have ever seen.
Johnsergeant
Sep 15, 2007 marked it as on-hold-or-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiblecom, audiobook
Downloaded from Audible.com 6/5/07

Narrator: Angela Bassett, Cuba Gooding Jr., Samuel L. Jackson, Blair Underwood, and more
Publisher: Zondervan, 2006
Length: 20 hours and 32 min.

* Winner of Audio Publishers Association 2007 Audie Award, Audiobook of the Year

* Winner of Audio Publishers Association 2007 Audie Award, Inspirational/Spiritual

Publisher's Summary

The Bible has a voice. Listen.

Like never before, you can experience the beauty, drama, and life-changing power of the Bible. Inspired By... The
My church is using this guide to read the entire Bible in one year. I love the thought of this, of doing it together as a congregation, but in practice I haven't kept with it. I know I could jump back in, so I've left this book on my Currently Reading shelf, but I don't think it is going to happen right now, and I've finally told myself that this is ok. This doesn't mean that I've given up on reading the Bible! It just means that I'm not actively working to read the entire book (books, really) b ...more
Joe
Good work overall, but singing was a distraction"

I got this because I wanted to HEAR the spoken word of God. Now there were some solid narrators enlisted that knew the subject matter, developed an affinity for the material and delivered it to their audience. They were articulate and talented enough to pull it off whether they were believers or not. (Blair Underwood, Phillip Morris, LeVar Burton and T. D. Jakes were absolutely brilliant.) Others in main roles were miscast and their lack of dictio
Rebecca
Dec 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My church read the New Testament as a whole these past two and a half months. Although I had probably read about 95% of it already as a consequence of being a churchgoer for all of my literate life, reading it in its entirety in such a relatively short period was a new and enlightening experience. I was surprised that I could actually keep up with the reading schedule, which was three to five chapters a day.

Our syllabus treated the four gospels as a separate "track" from the rest of the NT, so o
Steven
One previous reviewer mentioned this, and I would also like to add (for the record) that I'm giving four stars to the audiobook presentation, not for the New Testament itself.

Overall, I enjoyed listening to the NT being narrated by such well-known personalities as Lavar Burton, Blair Underwood, T.J. Jakes, Kirk Franklin, and Samuel L. Jackson.

Another reviewer had mentioned that the gospel songs that were interspersed throughout the narrative were nice but tended to be a bit of a distraction for
Steven Bullmer
May 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible
I read this version of the Bible in conjunction with my reading, studying, and applying the teachings of the Book of Proverbs. I prefer the TNIV to the traditional NIV because they have updated the language (intentionally made it inclusive and more reflective of late 20th century speech patterns). As a result it is easier to read and understand than the more academic and sometimes wooded translation of the NRSV; but because the commentary I was using was based on the NRSV, there were some intere ...more
Tripleguess
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this little Bible. My sister gave it to me so I could have one in my purse to take to church and everywhere with me. It's the perfect size and the magnet leather latch helps keep it closed so it doesn't get beat up from lying open in my purse. I put it in an inside pocket that happens to be the perfect size, and I learned to put it there with the unbound side away from the "mangler zone" in the middle of the purse so the page corners don't get beat up. So far it is holding up well.

Now I c
Mike
Dec 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like the note taking space, accordion pockets, and the size (not huge, but small enough to fit in a small pack). I have only seen this type of bible in tniv and rarely niv. I am not attached to any particular version but I will defend the tniv from all the crap it is getting.

Sometimes when I preach I use the tniv because the way it is translated is easier to communicate the point of the verse to the largest audience possible (most often in regards to differences in gender).

If I don't have th
Phileo Truth
Jul 05, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The gender-sensitive rendering of the language merely demonstrates how far the church will go to accommodate a world that rejects it. It is unfortunate that such contemporary sensitivities have convinced a publisher to modify the language. Having to carve out a reference to the female gender wherever the masculine word (such as "mankind" or "brethren") was understood in generations past to include the female gender among the collective, is just plain touchy. Trying to equalize the culture's sens ...more
Chris
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never read through the Bible so quickly. The language in this flows so well and has been adapted to today's dialect so well that I simple burned through the pages, reading chapter after chapter in a short span of time.

While I used to think the KJV and NKJV are the ONLY versions to read, this helped me see the greivous error of my way. Not only is it nice to have the current language, but it is good to read the different interpretations of the original text. In translations, nuances are alwa
Keybo Taheri
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is basically the New Testament of the Bible in The New International Version. It is fairly large print, like it is written for old people. The Manga itself is fairly short and feels like it should have been a book within itself. I really liked the artwork and the portrayal of Jesus. It is not necessarily portrayed in the merry way many would like the bible to be portrayed. It can be quite dark, however it still is very scripturally accurate so it is open to the artists interpretation. When ...more
Ryan
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scriptures
Don't get me wrong, I love the Bible. I chose to read through this translation over the past six months since my parents bought it for me on Christmas 2005. The text is highly readable and flows well, but I don't like some of the gender neutrality where it actually matters (and I'm not talking about the dear brothers and sisters passages). Other than that, I prefer a more word for word translation like the ESV. But overall, I liked this and it was very beneficial to read.
Tina
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read through the Bible several times, but never in one year. I used the Book-at-a-Time Bible Reading Plan from Discipleship Journal (www.discipleshipjournal.com). The plan had me daily read about 3 chapters from one book in the Bible and then a chapter of a Psalm or Proverb. It allowed one day for reflection which was nice to take a break or get caught up. I found the pace easy to keep up with and was glad I did it.
Levi Gray
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic production. In my experience it is the first of it's kind and since 2008 there have been a few attempts to recreate it but still nothing quite like it. Granted, the translation isn't my favorite but this approach at the rich, dramatic and life-giving texts of Scripture is a must have.
Dominique
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-loved-it
There is so much to say about this book, that it's amazing. This is the only book that I have ever highlighted in. I love to read parts of it over and over again, not caring if it's repetitive. This is the book I turn to if I have questions, or if I'm just bored and want something to do. I'm more likely to read this book than any other
Brad Aldrich
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very intresting way to read the bible! I love audio book anyway, but this is a great way to get a larger overview of the scripture. It is itresting to me every time I listen to it how different points and ideas pop out when I listen rather then read! It doesn't help for "in depth" study, but for a book overview, or even the whole Bible overview it is great!
Adrienna
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so inspired to hear the Bible told by so many famous black actors and actress. I am glad that God planted this in the producers hearts to make such a CD. More importantly, I was touched and tears flew from my eyes when I heard Blair Underwood do his readings as Jesus Christ. So emotional. This is a must-have!
LaRhonda
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My last non-stop roadtrip WI-IL-IN-OH-KY-WV-NC-VA-DC-MD-PA-OH-IN-IL-WI this has been my healing and passenger. I love having it on my iPod. If you are thinking about it and you want the Bible in an informative yet storytelling format this is Great! It will even keep your children's attention. This is 19 CDs and 1 DVD (of the making).
Grant
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The reading on this audio version of the Bible is awesome and it brings the Bible to life in an amazing way. There are tons of very talented actors who have participated in the making of this recording. But the editing is really awful in places. The background noises can get really loud, and the random song interruptions just don't make sense. All that said, I'd definitely listen to it again.
Courtney
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt like I needed to make it all the way through The Good Book and listening in the car helped me meet the goal. This version has a large cast reading as well as background music and sound effects. It even kept me engaged through the begats. In the New Testament, this version does break out into praise songs at jarring times, but overall, I enjoyed this arrangement.
Corrie
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, christian
What more can be said?

If you don't have a TNIV yet, I'd recommend going out and buying one right away. The TNIV gets closer to the original meaning of the text while remaining readable to modern English-speakers. I love this particular edition because it comes in pretty colors (mine is sky-blue, cream, and camel).
Kristina Marie
Dec 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, audio, 2016
1.5. Slightly underwhelming, especially since the parts I was most excited to hear ended up being so short. There were parts I enjoyed a lot, but overall it was just okay. Though, it would be interesting to read it with historical context.
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
    $14.95 $2.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis