Start by marking “Falcons of Narabedla” as Want to Read:
Falcons of Narabedla

Falcons of Narabedla

Mike Kenscott is having a really bad vacation. One minute he's camping in the Sierra Mountains with his brother Andy, and the next minute he's on a different world - or in a different time - or both. He's also in a different body.

Now he's Adric, Lord of the Crimson Tower, of the Rainbow City of Narabedla. He has to cope with his fellow Narabedlans: the Dreamer Rhys, the
Published March 28th 1991 by Severn House Publishers (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Falcons of Narabedla, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falcons of Narabedla

Start your review of Falcons of Narabedla
Jackie
Sep 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I liked this short novel more than I thought I would. While I didn't really connect to any character specifically, I was captivated by the story itself.

If you're a Marion Zimmer Bradley fan, then you don't want to miss this novel.

Wikipedia describes it as "marginally linked" to Darkover, but I see no correlation and feel wiki is misinformed.
Free download available at Project Gutenberg.

Somewhere on the Time Ellipse Mike Kenscott became Adric; and the only way to return to his own identity was to find the Keep of the Dreamer, and loose the terrible

[Transcriber's Note: This etext was produced from Other Worlds May 1957. Extensive research did not uncover any evidence that the U.S. copyright on this publication was renewed.]
Mark Richard
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi-fan
This is one TRIPPY book.
You have this guy MIKE, but he's not MIKE, he's this Aldrich guy, he's on a planet called NARABEDLA which is sort of Earth in the FUTURE..... Sort of.......OH and it has TWO suns.

He then Realises he is Mike but he's stuck in this guy s body... hmmmmmmm

The idea that the main character isn't actually in the right body, you really don't care who or what happens to him or the people he meets.....bummer right, yeah bummer.

There's talk of 'dreamers' 'rainbows' and other
Morgan Dhu
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was paging idly through my collection of ebooks looking for something to read, when my eye was caught by Marion Zimmer Bradley’s Falcons of Narabedla, which I had never actually read but have sometimes heard mentioned as loosely connected to the Darkover books.

Setting aside all considerations of Bradley’s quite reprehensible personal actions, which I’ve discussed here before, I’m not al that fond of her early writing at a technical level. It contained too many of what I find to be the least
Judy
Nov 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
I became a fan of Marion Zimmer Bradley when I read The Mists of Avalon in the 1980s. a book I have read twice and given as a gift to many women. MZB, as she is known to her fans, also wrote the Darkover Series (of which there are 36 volumes), as well as at least 40 other novels.

Falcons of Narabedla is her first published novel. For a writer who is known as being female-centered, feminist and sometimes lesbian, this story is a surprisingly hardcore masculine fantasy. But hey, everyone starts
Mirrordance
Contrariamente a quanto indicato non appartiene al mondo di Darkover (se non per il riferimento al signore delle forge Zandru).
La sensazione è che sia una bozza per un racconto più ampio. Il mondo strano, ed i poteri sovrannaturali che lo caratterizzano, in cui viene trasportato Mike Kenscott è confuso e caotico. La storia in sè con una maggior definizione dei personaggi ed un approfondimento di quel mondo e dei poteri dei Sognatori e del legame con quei particolari amuleti poteva forse
Ken
Dec 20, 2007 rated it it was ok
Marion Zimmer Bradley has written some very good books, but this isn't one of them. This is the tale of an ordinary guy who suddenly finds himself transported to an alternate universe, trapped in a body that isn't his, and fighting its original owner for control of it. Intrigue ensues. I wanted to care, really, but the clunky narration and nearly incoherent storytelling kept me at arm's length. I finished the book because it's short -- but seriously, don't waste your time. There's a reason this ...more
Elisabeth Waters
I've been reading a lot of MZB's old work in the course of reprinting her backlist, and some of it holds up surprisingly well. It helps that any descriptions of technology were vague, so her work isn't as dated as it would be if she were describing new and better vacuum tubes. She wasn't trying to show off technical knowledge or write great literature; she wrote to entertain her readers. And fifty years after this book was written, it's still a good read, so I'd say she achieved her goal.
Lynne Page
This novel certainly feels dated. It has that style that only books from the 60s or older can really convey. The author considers the novel science fiction, but it's more fantasy, to be honest.

Everything is quite vague, and all of the descriptions are rather to the point.

But overall, this book is a LOT better than the cover art suggests!
Tarma
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really really liked this story. It jogs back to when the 'original' science fiction/fantasy genre started; a simple, direct story about an event which happened and 'this is how it is'. MZB has the ability to write that one feels the magic .. the beingness of magic. Of wonder. Of awe.
Ranmaru
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
The Falcons of Narabedla shows Marion Zimmer Bradley's exceptional talent for conjuring up new, strange worlds. The story didn't grip me though and it almost felt as if Marion Zimmer Bradley herself had lost interest and just dragged it on to finish it.
Anna
Mar 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebooks, sci-fi
i liked the storytelling, but not the story. thrown into this complex world without much explanation as far as characters and the reasons for their actions go. idk, I was confused from the beginning until the very end.
Daniel
May 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book was alright, not my favorite. It had a nice ending.
Frieda
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This has not been one of my favourites by MZB. Maybe the longer stories have more built up. It is very different.
Marianne Thompson
Feb 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
I actually couldn't finish this book. It was terrible!
Barbara
Jul 15, 2013
Asmodel
May 08, 2012
Leora
rated it did not like it
Dec 02, 2015
Dec 18, 2008
Goodreads Librari...: Page numbering request 2 10 Nov 03, 2019 05:24PM
Goodreads Librari...: Details mismatch 1 22 Jul 25, 2015 01:07PM

• Enchantment
  • Forward the Foundation (Foundation: Prequel #2)
  • Prelude to Foundation
  • Factoring Humanity
  • The Aliens Who Knew, I Mean, Everything & Target: Berlin!
  • Red Planet Blues
  • WWW: Wonder (WWW, #3)
  • The Planet Savers
  • A Darker Domain (Inspector Karen Pirie, #2)
  • The White Card: A Play
  • Ideologienes århundre
  • WWW: Watch (WWW, #2)
  • Key Out of Time (Time Traders / Ross Murdock #4)
  • Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4)
  • The Red Hell of Jupiter
  • Resande med vinden: Den kompletta samlingen
  • The Last Conversation (Forward collection)
  • The Chapter Ends
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond