Start by marking “Voices of Bipolar Disorder: The Healing Companion: Stories for Courage, Comfort and Strength” as Want to Read:

Heartbreaking and yet humorous, this inspirational collection includes personal stories from more than 40 diverse people who are living with bipolar disorder—a condition that affects some five million Americans. Each story reveals strategies used to cope with the varying symptoms—from mania and depression to recklessness and listlessness—and offers insight into what it is ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by LaChance Publishing LLC (first published December 11th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Voices of Bipolar Disorder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voices of Bipolar Disorder

Start your review of Voices of Bipolar Disorder: The Healing Companion: Stories for Courage, Comfort and Strength
Rayni
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in learning more of the disease.
Recommended to Rayni by: topic
Excellent. A keeper. It took me a long time to read this.

I love the premise they use for this series of books. This book shows there is not just one face of bipolar. There are as many faces of bipolar as there are sufferers of bipolar. I like the fact they show the person is not the disease. You hear people say, "They are bipolar," or "I am bipolar." Do we hear people say, "They are cancer (or diabetes or any other disease)?" No. We hear, "They HAVE cancer." It should be, "They suffer from bipo
Allison
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not bad, but no depth at all. Would rather have 5 in-depth first-person narratives than all these little 2- and 3-page snippets.
Lynn
Oct 22, 2010 rated it liked it
If you're new to this disorder, I would highly recommend this book. If not, it won't be new information, though it's always helpful to hear the views of others who have shared your experience.
Jordan Varey
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Growing up with a “Manic Depressive” (bipolar I) parent had a huge impact on me. It was really interesting to read inside perspectives from people living with the disorder as well as their caregivers/family members.

As an adult diagnosed with mental illness, I appreciated the stories of hope from people living similar experiences.

We need more books like this.
Rachel Boe
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having a daughter recently diagnosed with bipolar, this helped me understand a bit better what she may be dealing with. I loved that the stories were short clips of different people and their experiences. Reading others’ experiences helps me be compassionate and have a better understanding.
Stevie
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As somebody with bipolar disorder, it's always interesting and sort of comforting to read the stories of other people who struggle and live with it. This book not only gives first hand accounts but also has narratives written by the parents and family members of people with bipolar and I loved that. If there was anything that I didn't like, it was the section in the front of the book that discussed a play where the main character had bipolar. I think it's great that the play was made but there's ...more
Edmund Davis-Quinn
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: biblio-ct, library
Very up and down. Some stories are much than others. And bipolar (which I do have) is definitely a spectrum disorder. Also the long section in the beginning about the "Next to Normal" play is almost completely irrelevant.
Becca
Apr 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
very insightful from the inside of a bipolar life to the outside of the people involved. I'd recommend this to anyone who isn't afraid to find out what people truely experience with this disorder.
Megalion
Oct 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Its part of a series on compilations of individual experiences with a certain disease.

Encouraging but also scary in some.
Pat
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Honest writing as therapy.
Tara Meissner
Ana Valle
rated it it was ok
Apr 13, 2019
Juliann Garey
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Middlethought

• Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self-Delusion
  • Inside Out
  • The Freedom Writers Diary
  • Lock and Key
  • Chain Reaction (Perfect Chemistry, #3)
  • Confessions of a Sociopath: A Life Spent Hiding in Plain Sight
  • The Beauty Myth
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • Rules of Attraction (Perfect Chemistry, #2)
  • The Plot Whisperer: Secrets of Story Structure Any Writer Can Master
  • Schizo
  • The Harder You Fall (Rixon Raiders, #3)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Fall to Pieces: A Memoir of Drugs, Rock 'n' Roll, and Mental Illness
  • The Queen's Assassin (The Queen's Secret, #1)
  • Blurred (Kissed by Death, #2)
  • How I Lost You