Start by marking “Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)” as Want to Read:
Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)

Ceremony in Death

(In Death #5)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  33,483 ratings  ·  1,175 reviews
Even in an age of cutting-edge technology, old beliefs die hard...

Conducting a top secret investigation into the death of a fellow police officer has Lieutenant Eve Dallas treading on dangerous ground. She must put professional ethics before personal loyalties. But when a dead body is placed outside her home, Eve takes the warning personally. With her husband, Roarke, watc
Published December 1st 2003 by Piatkus Books (first published May 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Ceremony in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ceremony in Death

·  33,483 ratings  ·  1,175 reviews

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️
3.5 Stars

This was my least favorite of the series thus far, although I still enjoyed it.

Something was missing for me as far as the plot/suspense went.
It just didn't draw me in, keep me on the edge of my seat, as much as previous books.
Regardless, I of course enjoyed every moment between Roarke and Eve.

description

And I appreciated the situation between Feeney and Eve too. Their father/daughter dynamic in the face of all the things Eve went through with her real father is sweet and I loved how Roarke ste
Hulya Kara Yuksel
ROARKE! <3 Ladies, don't you ever forget his name. ;)

"I love you," she murmured. "I love you so much, I'm stupid about it."
With a sigh, she settled down, closed her eyes, and willed her mind to empty.
Beside her, Roarke smiled into the dark.
He never slept first.

Ahhhh don't you see? He's so perfect... :) Ugh I'm crazy about
Jilly
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This one was fun, but I think I might have done a little bit of laughing for the wrong reasons. You see, Eve is supposed to be the very best cop in homicide and yet she ALWAYS - in every book - arrests or detains the wrong person at some point. And, she OFTEN gets rescued by her billionaire husband, Roarke-not-a-cop. But, I love the series anyway. Usually because of Roarke. He is the Irish Cream in my coffee.

maybeeeee....

(okay, if my husband sees this, I am denying everything. I will say I wrote
♥Sharon♥
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing

She hasn’t let me down yet. Another great addition to this series. I will say the murder theme was intriguing but it was a tad bit gruesome.

While I would LOVE more time where Roarke and Eve are together I am finding that it doesn’t much matter anymore. JD Robb can write some pretty intense, hot and sexy scenes when they are and I get my fill.

In the midst of all the crazy shit that goes on in Eve’s life as she tracks down the murderers, Roarke places himself in the middle as her silent (well so
Brenda
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The viewing was traditional – the grief insurmountable. But it was when Lieutenant Eve Dallas was called in to her commander’s office and ordered to do an investigation completely off the radar that had Eve conflicted. Her loyalties were torn – she could only use Peabody and Roarke, while reporting directly to Commander Whitney.

When Eve was confronted with Wiccans and Satanists, her disbelief and cynicism stood out. But there was danger involved – and when the body she found was at the fence of
Lana *Lifeinwordsandlyricscom*
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gripping as always, this instalment brought something new and exciting to the series. Is there or isn't there a place for a little supernatural in a world dominated by technology? My answer is a cautious "yes" but you may disagree and that's ok too. So far J.D. Robb did alright by me and as long as that continues In Death will have a place on my shelf. It doesn't hurt that I'm hopelessly in love with Roarke either ;)

Over and out
Duchess Nicole
I think that this is my favorite of the series so far. I mean, there wasn't anything wholly new other than the fact that Roarke played more than a token lover/husband role in this one....the man gets to show his protective side in a major way. You know how he's always toning Eve down, bringing her back down to earth with his sexy little Irish yumminess? Welp, he loses control here. There's NOTHING hotter than when Mr. Control loses said control in the bedroom. Nothing.

And after giving Eve someth
Phrynne
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As far as I am concerned J.D. Robb can do no wrong and this particular book is one of my special favourites. Peabody and Eve are developing their beautiful relationship and their dialogue is brilliant. Roarke and Eve continue to be very much in love and also have some delightful interchanges. The police work is good, the element of mystery is always present and the ending is exciting and a bit scary. Oh and of course the author makes us reach for the tissue box with some tear jerking moments. Di ...more
Mo
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid read. I love these two, Roarke and Eve - although maybe their "together" time is few and far between. Would like some more sexy times for the two of them

I dip in every so often. I reckon if I read one a year I might be finished the series by the time I am 95!!

The abused child from the mean streets of Dublin had done what he'd needed to do to survive.

Mei
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf
I completly agree with My friend Jilly's review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I'll just add that here the villain was really sick!
Wendy
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this 5th book in J.D. Robb's "In Death" series!
Felicia
Jan 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I love this series so much. Sometimes the plots get so ridiculous that I laugh out loud, and yet the characters are so great, the rapport so wonderful, I can't help but want to take the ride with them, wherever it goes.
Chan
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
AUDIOBOOK

Didn’t like this one
description/

There was a lot going on in this book that turned me off
description/

I will only mention one...I was on the verge of HATING Eve Dallas. The things she said and did to some of the people were just wrong. When it turned out that her assumption was off base, she didn’t even apologize.

It may take a moment for me to pick up another In Death novel.
Eda
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Bu arada, Dallas?"
"Ne oldu, Peabody?"
"Bu çok güzel bir dövme. Yeni mi?"
Eve dişlerini tekrar sıktı, kapıya doğru olabildiğince asil bir şekilde yürüdü. "Gördün mü?"Eve koridorda yürürken bir parmağını Roarke'ın göğsüne vurdu. "Sana şu aptal gül goncası yüzünde küçük düşeceğimi söylemiştim."
"Uyuşturuldun, tokatlandın, çırılçıplak bağlandın ve neredeyse öldürülüyordun ve popondaki bir gül seni küçük düşürüyor öyle mi?"
"Ötekilerin hepsi işin bir gereği. Gül goncası kişisel."
Roarke gülerek kolunu Ev
Lisa Kay
★★★★★ This series just keeps getting better. Susan Ericksen is an excellent narrator and has developed the tone in the characters voices to perfection. She is so talented she can do Officer (Delia) Peabody with a cold, LOL! This one is about witches – both good and evil. And Captain (Ryan) Feeney and Homicide Detective Eve Dallas get into a doozey of a falling out. Can the relationship be mended? By the way, this one is Halloween Perfect, as they attend a Halloween Party in costume.
Irene Sim
Another great installment in the series. I can't get enough of it!
Kati
Apr 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015, in-czech, sci-fi, mystery
Lauren
Ceremony in Death
4 Stars

Homicide Lieutenant Eve Dallas is forced to put aside her personal loyalties when she investigates the suspicious death of a fellow officer. When several other victims die in horrific circumstances, Eve finds herself embroiled in a conflict between opposing forces of good and evil that eventually leads her to a confrontation that may force her to play the ultimate price…

The best installment so far both in terms of the investigation and the character development.

The dichot
Carolyn
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, mystery

I'm really enjoying this series now and getting to know the main characters - Eve, Peabody, Roarke, Mavis and Feeney and how they will behave and react. This might sound as if the books could become a bit predictable but they're not at all. Robb manages to keep the stories fresh and introduces enough new elements to keep us interested and wanting to keep dipping into Eve's life.

In this episode Eve is investigating what looks like the natural death of a fellow police colleague when his granddaug
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
I love the emotional ups and downs is this book. Roarke and Eve are a great couple but also love how they protect each with even thinking of it. It's what comes natural to each of them. As much as Eve tries to believe that she doesn't have a family, she actually does with Roarke, Mavis, Feeney, Peabody, Mira and Nadine. Meeting Roarke the sweet talking Irish love who by the way still keeps the button in his pocket and now has added the IOU is the best thing that's ever happen to Eve and I believ ...more
Lena
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
“I am a high priestess of the dark lord. Our numbers are legion, and I have powers that would make you weep.”

Eve Dallas faces off with a Satanic cult and ridiculous as it sounds it’s one of her toughest cases.

Serious people don’t take magic, or Satanists, seriously... which works in their favor when they’re murderers.
Catherine
I've jumped back into this series after taking a little break. I didn't want to accidentally exhaust the series for myself. It was great getting back into Eve's world! I'm listening to this series in audiobook, because I've found that this narrator makes this world come alive for me. If you are interested in giving audiobooks a try or you're looking for a new audiobook, I recommend this series. The narrator rocks! Especially when she does Roarke's voice. Am I supposed to find a female imitating ...more
Cyndi
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Not sure how many times I've read this book, but I still love it! Since this time around I'm concentrating on more parts of my dream home, I have to point out the home gym. I guess if you have a big gym you have to work out in a big way, like Eve does. I'm using that because my home gym is smaller, so my workout is smaller. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. See, I don't have a big, bulky droid to punch around, just a punching bag. Gotta take it easy on the poor thing. My treadmill doesn't ...more
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
Well this one was remarkably easy, you know right from the start who the villain is. It was still an entertaining book considering it dabbled in spirituals.
Jess The Bookworm
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it

This is the 5th installment in the "In Death" series. This picks up where the last one left off, Eve and Roarke are married and still hot and heavy.

When a cop dies, it is up to Eve to investigate if there was anything untoward about his death (of course there is), and what follows is a fun romp through the world of satanism and the occult, while Eve sees out her investigation.

I'm pretty sure that cops are not meant to bring their spouses into their work lives as much as Roarke is invo
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Robb can weave such great stories and CEREMONY IN DEATH is another great installment to this series. It seems that anything she writes is gold. What’s great about this series is that she is able to keep things fresh but still familiar.

Lieutenant Dallas has a case involving the death of a fellow police officer. More and more clues point the finger at Selina Cross, a crazy Satanic worshiper who participates in dark rituals. While the whole Wicca and Satanic
Tilly Slaton
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
As much as I appreciate a good paranormal book, this book left me suffering.

Surrounded by witches, good and evil, Eve betrays a dear friend and puts the job first.

This book really hits home with Eve. A suspect is the son of a serious psycho serial killer and rapist who worshipped satan. The father raped and beat his own son. Blinded by her emotions, Eve wishes and hopes that the man is innocent, even if all of the evidence points his way.

Ritual killings, orgies and the mysterious unknown witchcr
Mou
The last month was busy and it takes forever to finish the book. But it doesn't matter how much time it takes to finish the appeal of the "IN Death" series was same as always. Now I know why this book is so addictive.

I enjoyed it like I enjoyed the other four. I didn't read anything related to Satanism before, but I knew about this concept a bit. I Knew who was the killer from the very first part of the book, but the way J D Robb carried the whole thing out was great.

I was really hurt when both
Feb 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: garbage
When I read the first In Death book, I was optimistic, and thought that Nora Roberts could potentially turn it into a pretty good series. After five books I realize that I was wrong. Eve Dallas, Roarke, Summerset, Mavis and literally every other character in this series is a straight up cliché, with Eve and Roarke's dark and tormented pasts being so overdone in fiction that it almost makes my teeth hurt. As do the numerous stereotypes pertaining to Roarke's Irish background. As somebody who was ...more
  • Three Fates
  • White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)
  • Silver Master (Ghost Hunters, #4)
  • Billionaires Prefer Blondes (Samantha Jellicoe, #3)
  • Heart Duel (Celta's Heartmates, #3)
  • Deadly Lies (Deadly, #3)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
  • Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)
“For once, he slept first. She lay in the dark, listening to him breathe, stealing a little of his warmth as her own body cooled. Since he was asleep, she stroked his hair.

"I love you," she murmured. "I love you so much, I'm stupid about it."

With a sigh, she settled down, closed her eyes, and willed her mind to empty.
Beside her, Roarke smiled into the dark.

He never slept first.”
613 likes
“Eve: "Was that like a cookie?"

Roarke: "Hmmm?"

Eve: "You know, have a cookie. You'll feel better. Were you making me feel better?"

Roarke: "I certainly hope so, it worked for me. I wanted you. I always do."

Eve: "It's funny how men can wake up with their brains in their cocks."

Roarke: "It makes us what we are. Let's take a shower. I'll give you another cookie.”
119 likes