Start by marking “Social Psychology” as Want to Read:
Social Psychology

Social Psychology

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  775 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Social Psychology 9th edition by David G. Myers. Book also includes Social Sense Discovery Channel insert (CD that is sealed)
Published November 1st 2007 by McGraw-Hill (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Social Psychology, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Gita
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
This textbook really is not only for psychology students. It has details that keep you reading and an entertaining quality you rarely get from a textbook. Myers became my favorite and, I imagine, is a great educator.
Henri Tournyol du Clos
I wish this kind of intelligent, wide-ranging (800pp) and eye-opening textbook had been around when I was studying business some 35 years ago. I would have devoted more time since then to following the developments of psychology, instead of just deducting from the ineptitude of what was taught to us that it was all just a waste of time. But then, I suppose psychology has changed a lot since 1980, with charlatanistic mumbo-jumbo being gradually replaced with a corpus of nearly scientific result ...more
Holly
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far, this is my favorite subject in psychology. I love this text book and that probably makes me a huge dork. It was witty and fun. I read chapters I didn't even have to, which makes me a huge nerd too.
Johnny Wilson
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
I have very little to say in criticism to this book. I really enjoyed the layout and the structure of the material. There's only a single thing I want to point out.
Some of the evolutionary proposals in this book are highly dubious. It seemed to me that the evolutionary structure assumed in this book was an old 80s view that involves game-centered and gene-centered approaches. This view has largely been done away with and a pluralistic view has been adopted. Natural selection is no longer the ne
Jessica
Jan 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: text-books
For a text book this one is well written and almost entertaining to read. Psychology is a fascinating subject and when you study things about human tendency, it makes you realize just how much you fall in that category. The book has large margins with vocabulary definitions next to where the word is used in the text, lots of pictures and captions to illustrate the point, and plenty of comics to read. It is a readable text book, if you're into that sort of reading... I would reccommend Myers to a ...more
Suzan Clark
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great insight and understanding of behavior*
Debbie
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clear information, well organized with anecdotes, photos and other examples to help illustrate the concepts.
Kaliseviltwin
Feb 18, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not many people
Recommended to Kaliseviltwin by: Dr. Jamie Newton
Oy vey. This textbook is dense. It made me feel dense. And I don't mean because the concepts are so deep. I mean that the pages are HUGE, the typeface is small, and Myers must pack seventy researcher names into every paragraph. Seriously uninteresting presentation of some very interesting concepts.

The textbook is not so well organized. There is a chapter "table of contents" at the beginning of each chapter, but each chapters ends with an "op-ed" piece by Myers on how we as students can make the
Lucette
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it

I liked this book because it gives a clear meaning on someone's attitude and possible things that can be encountered. I like that you can persuade someone to change their attitude without having to do anything.Also that I can see how to identify and deal with people who have different attitudes all the time. That in most cases, behavior shapes our attitude. Especially any type of social influence. I like that people tend to "stereotype," someone based on the little bit of that specific person. T
Ashton Herrod
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quality textbook. It is a great introduction to social psychology, some facets of which, I had not even thought about. I love how it incorporates psychology, not only from the U.S. and other western countries, but from the East and even Africa as well. Its treatment of religion really positively surprised me. It did not attempt to discount religion's positive effect on people or to overemphasize any negative effects as many textbooks do today in the west. The book seemed to present the ...more
Rimgaudas
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 10, 8-10
Puiki knyga apie socialinius, bendravimo, santykių, elgsenos ir pan. niuansus. Patiko skyriai apie savivertę, išsipildančius socialinės aplinkos lūkesčius. Knyga pateikė įdomių atradimų, pavyzdžiui, kad poelgiai gali pakeisti nuostatas ir savojo aš sampratą. Joje aprašyta daug įdomių tyrimų (ypač dalyje apie prietarus ir stereotipus).
Dalis apie meilę ir pagalbą gal nepateisino lūkesčių. Bet netikėtai įdomūs pasirodė skyriai apie socialinės psichologijos praktinį pritaikymą.
Patiko lengvai skaito
Rose
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read this all the way through, but I did read through a good majority of the book.

I was very impressed with the way the chapters were set up. Sometimes they were a bit lengthy, but they delved into some really interesting topics in social psychology and backed many of the things they were saying up with legitimate research studies and good data.

I might be a bit biased because I like the subject material, but I think the book read really interesting and I was not bored very often while
Amal Shoeib
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading this book as a reading assignment for the course Social Psychology on Coursera and I'm telling you explicitly "I AM NOT THE SAME PERSON ANYMORE"
There are so many lessons I learned throughout the journey on this book that I can hardly write here. I've already assigned a specific notebook to grasp all the book's points
I am over the moon happy because I found this one!
I can literally see through people and understand different cultures!
A MUST READ!!!!!!!!
Harry Brilakis
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I read in the area of social psychology, following a MOOC course I attended at coursera. Being new to the field, without any relevant academic background, this was an excellent introduction. The book is easy to read and keeps your attention vivid. Many times I found myself amazed about the concepts introduced in the book and really enjoyed the clarity of the text, so I think very high of it.
Ian McGaffey
This was an informative read on the social interactions in human society. It will be especially helpful in managing staff using my business degree. I enjoyed the exploration of the different aspects of how people interact. I found some sections dragged on a little, but overall it was not too tedious.
Steve Curll
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Students only (Cost $136- for2011 copy. Teaching 1996, bought 2005 $1.00 -Abebooks.com
What can I Say? Its a Textbook! Read it this week in Preparation of teaching this college course. Actually, Myers is the best writer of psych textbooks out there, and he makes this topic quite interesting(If you like this sort of thing- To quote bugs Bunny, " Oh well, Its a Living") When the class has to read 1/2 of it in 8 weeks, I wonder if they will complain.
Eric Troy
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Despite the review above from the bitter college student, this is actually one of the more accessible textbooks on the subject, and a good one for a layperson. I've never known a student to like their textbook and I've never known a textbook without flaws, but I found this one easier to follow than the others I have on the subject.
Broodingferret
May 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
As textbooks go, this guy's are quite good. He covers a wide breadth of the given subject matter, he ties together concepts in clear and understandable ways, and he shows real-world applications for the subject. If ever you want to brush-up on psychology, Myers is a good guy to read.
L.
Jun 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far my favorite textbook of my college career. It kills me that this book was lost in the mail on my way home from school.
Franziska
This was not only a great textbook, it was just overall really fun to read. Well designed, and very applicable.
Lily
Nov 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this one was OK
Burcu
Jul 09, 2014 added it
Too much sociology to little psychology to my taste.
Briar
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Informative, but biased. Draws on some sketchy studies for information. Adding this to my read books because I read this entire thing however unwillingly. Do not recommend.
Matthew
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stories
Some of the most beautiful writing I've ever seen.
Kayla Lakings
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple textbook.
Pritesh
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it made me think what i am & what i am not
April Rose
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbook
Informative, bloated, at times unclear. Taking the comprehensive final exam tonight.
Arshia
This book made my head spin, and spin, and spin. Interesting concepts, but mostly bad organization for the first four chapters.
Amelia
Chapter 1 - Introducing Social Psychology - generously provided free of charge for https://www.coursera.org/course/socia...
Annie Walden
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: textbooks
Again, this has more to do with the course than the textbook, but I liked the commentary from the author. I felt he used decent examples. The book was structured well.
  • Abnormal Child Psychology
  • Case Studies in Abnormal Psychology
  • Theories of Personality
  • Outsiders
  • An Introduction to the History of Psychology
  • Intentional Interviewing and Counseling: Facilitating Client Development in a Multicultural Society
  • The Vogue® Knitting Stitchionary Volume Three: Color Knitting: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue® Knitting Magazine
  • The Oxford Companion to the Mind
  • Sociological Theory
  • Stage Makeup
  • Sociology

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
David G. Myers is a professor of Psychology at Hope College in Michigan, and the author of 17 books, including popular textbooks entitled Psychology, Exploring Psychology, Social Psychology and several general-audience books dealing with issues related to Christian faith as well as scientific psychology.

More about David G. Myers...