Start by marking “Social Psychology” as Want to Read:
Social Psychology

Social Psychology

Social Psychology 9th edition by David G. Myers. Book also includes Social Sense Discovery Channel insert (CD that is sealed)
Published November 1st 2007 by McGraw-Hill (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Social Psychology, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Social Psychology
Holly
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far, this is my favorite subject in psychology. I love this text book and that probably makes me a huge dork. It was witty and fun. I read chapters I didn't even have to, which makes me a huge nerd too.
Nikolay Korablev
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very readable, a lot of studies cited, mostly neutral point of view. A more substantial criticism would entail a thorough analysis of these source studies, so if something in the field is overblown or ignored on the pages of this volume, I'm really in no position to say. Still, pondering over the implications of some of the things discussed has given me more than a few happy hours.
Henri Tournyol du Clos
I wish this kind of intelligent, wide-ranging (800pp) and eye-opening textbook had been around when I was studying business some 35 years ago. I would have devoted more time since then to following the developments of psychology, instead of just deducting from the ineptitude of what was taught to us that it was all just a waste of time. But then, I suppose psychology has changed a lot since 1980, with charlatanistic mumbo-jumbo being gradually replaced with a corpus of nearly scientific ...more
Kaliseviltwin
Feb 18, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not many people
Recommended to Kaliseviltwin by: Dr. Jamie Newton
Oy vey. This textbook is dense. It made me feel dense. And I don't mean because the concepts are so deep. I mean that the pages are HUGE, the typeface is small, and Myers must pack seventy researcher names into every paragraph. Seriously uninteresting presentation of some very interesting concepts.

The textbook is not so well organized. There is a chapter "table of contents" at the beginning of each chapter, but each chapters ends with an "op-ed" piece by Myers on how we as students can make the
Natálie
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
I understand why so many people recommend this book with strong words like “really readable.”

However, I would prefer a textbook less story-telling and more fact and structure oriented. Also searching for literally any terms is a huge problem since the book has no index.

It is probably good choice for a person who is a beginner in the social psychology fields or wants something easy-to-read.
Johnny Wilson
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
I have very little to say in criticism to this book. I really enjoyed the layout and the structure of the material. There's only a single thing I want to point out.
Some of the evolutionary proposals in this book are highly dubious. It seemed to me that the evolutionary structure assumed in this book was an old 80s view that involves game-centered and gene-centered approaches. This view has largely been done away with and a pluralistic view has been adopted. Natural selection is no longer the
Jessica
Jan 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: text-books
For a text book this one is well written and almost entertaining to read. Psychology is a fascinating subject and when you study things about human tendency, it makes you realize just how much you fall in that category. The book has large margins with vocabulary definitions next to where the word is used in the text, lots of pictures and captions to illustrate the point, and plenty of comics to read. It is a readable text book, if you're into that sort of reading... I would reccommend Myers to ...more
Derek
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I learned a lot reading this book and the information was quite good. The writing wasn't too dense either, so I didn't have to read everything twice. But my God, some of the chapters felt long. I admit I skimmed the last few.

Now for my little rant. There are so many editions of this book. I have the feeling they make a small update every few years just so we can't check them out from the library, and these things cost more than a hundred dollars. It's a bit despicable, especially since college
Briana Auclair
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As far as textbooks go, this one was engaging. While things could seem repetitive for those in the psychology field, I understand the authors were attempting to present the material in multiple ways for maximum understanding. It was well written and I would recommend this book to instructors looking for course text- as a student it gets my thumbs up!
Vlad
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like the textbook is biased towards Christianity, which is not surprising, for the main author of this textbook has written a few books about Christianity. In addition, the author paints Mother Theresa as this grandiose, altruistic individual, which is a fatuous thing to believe; as she is a petty, malevolent, immoral charlatan.
Apart from that, it is a well structured textbook
Melvin Marsh, M.S.
Textbook, decently written. Certainly better than the "reader" I read. Unfortunately, I do not feel that it represented the material on the Psych GRE well, even the social section which is the reason I read it.
Sylv C
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the most readable, educational and enjoyable textbooks I possess. If you're interested in understanding psychology, this is a great introductory read (the version I own is the 11th international edition).
Florencia Salvio
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great study book for those interested about Social Psychology.
I learned a lot from it, and now I understand more about human behavior and how to be more empathic and see the world from other people point of view.

Suzan Clark
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great insight and understanding of behavior*
Vasundhara
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's a good book
Debbie
Clear information, well organized with anecdotes, photos and other examples to help illustrate the concepts.
Tim
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: triple-read
I would like to thank this book, for that it casts light on who I was, who I am, and who I want to be.
Ted
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is common sense reorganized. Rich with on-point notes and quotations. The language flows humorously like none other in the field of social sciences.
Angelica Reyes
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
the book is accessible, engaging and stimulating. These qualities are needed for students like us!!!!!
Роза Нургалиева
Best book to start your trip in the world of Psychology as a science! I recommend this book to all.
Sam Delson
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the few textbooks memorable enough that I continue to consult years after my first reading.
Silver Lee
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read this book in my Junior year of college. Very informational.
Lucette
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it

I liked this book because it gives a clear meaning on someone's attitude and possible things that can be encountered. I like that you can persuade someone to change their attitude without having to do anything.Also that I can see how to identify and deal with people who have different attitudes all the time. That in most cases, behavior shapes our attitude. Especially any type of social influence. I like that people tend to "stereotype," someone based on the little bit of that specific person.
Ashton Herrod
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quality textbook. It is a great introduction to social psychology, some facets of which, I had not even thought about. I love how it incorporates psychology, not only from the U.S. and other western countries, but from the East and even Africa as well. Its treatment of religion really positively surprised me. It did not attempt to discount religion's positive effect on people or to overemphasize any negative effects as many textbooks do today in the west. The book seemed to present the ...more
Rose
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read this all the way through, but I did read through a good majority of the book.

I was very impressed with the way the chapters were set up. Sometimes they were a bit lengthy, but they delved into some really interesting topics in social psychology and backed many of the things they were saying up with legitimate research studies and good data.

I might be a bit biased because I like the subject material, but I think the book read really interesting and I was not bored very often while
Amal Shoeib
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading this book as a reading assignment for the course Social Psychology on Coursera and I'm telling you explicitly "I AM NOT THE SAME PERSON ANYMORE"
There are so many lessons I learned throughout the journey on this book that I can hardly write here. I've already assigned a specific notebook to grasp all the book's points
I am over the moon happy because I found this one!
I can literally see through people and understand different cultures!
A MUST READ!!!!!!!!
Harry Brilakis
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I read in the area of social psychology, following a MOOC course I attended at coursera. Being new to the field, without any relevant academic background, this was an excellent introduction. The book is easy to read and keeps your attention vivid. Many times I found myself amazed about the concepts introduced in the book and really enjoyed the clarity of the text, so I think very high of it.
Ian McGaffey
This was an informative read on the social interactions in human society. It will be especially helpful in managing staff using my business degree. I enjoyed the exploration of the different aspects of how people interact. I found some sections dragged on a little, but overall it was not too tedious.
Eric Troy
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Despite the review above from the bitter college student, this is actually one of the more accessible textbooks on the subject, and a good one for a layperson. I've never known a student to like their textbook and I've never known a textbook without flaws, but I found this one easier to follow than the others I have on the subject.
Steve Curll
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Students only (Cost $136- for2011 copy. Teaching 1996, bought 2005 $1.00 -Abebooks.com
What can I Say? Its a Textbook! Read it this week in Preparation of teaching this college course. Actually, Myers is the best writer of psych textbooks out there, and he makes this topic quite interesting(If you like this sort of thing- To quote bugs Bunny, " Oh well, Its a Living") When the class has to read 1/2 of it in 8 weeks, I wonder if they will complain.

• Biological Psychology
  • Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us
  • How to Think Straight about Psychology
  • 哲学家们都干了些什么? (Chinese Edition)
  • Sensation and Perception
  • From Third World to First: The Singapore Story: 1965-2000
  • Hardcore Self Help: F**k Anxiety
  • Theories of Personality
  • World Civilizations: The Global Experience
  • The Start-Up of You: Adapt to the Future, Invest in Yourself, and Transform Your Career
  • Understanding Human Sexuality
  • The State of Texas: Government, Politics, and Policy
  • Invisible Women of Prehistory: Three Million Years of Peace, Six Thousand Years of War
  • Language and Gender: A Reader
David G. Myers is a professor of Psychology at Hope College in Michigan, and the author of 17 books, including popular textbooks entitled Psychology, Exploring Psychology, Social Psychology and several general-audience books dealing with issues related to Christian faith as well as scientific psychology.