Start by marking “Concrete, Volume 4: Killer Smile” as Want to Read:
Concrete, Volume 4: Killer Smile

Concrete, Volume 4: Killer Smile (Concrete #4)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  196 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
All Larry Munro wanted was a tank of gas. What he got was a gun pointed at his head. Now he's being forced to play chauffeur to a pyromaniac looking to burn L.A. to the ground! Can Concrete race fast enough to stop the bullet aimed at his best friend?
Published March 28th 2006 by Dark Horse Books (first published October 15th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Concrete, Volume 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Concrete, Volume 4

Nicolo Yu
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: collected-comics
I’ve never tried Paul Chadwick’s Concrete before, although I’ve read excellent reviews on it. So it was an easy choice to sample one when a random volume came out on top of a pile of manga in a bargain bookstore. It was easy why at first glance it could be mistaken for a manga title. It was a smaller than a regular comics trade paperback and flipping the pages would only yield black and white art. It is as different from manga as freshly squeezed orange juice is from the sugary flavored water pa ...more
Annie
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one for many reasons: (1) Mitchell (albeit briefly) loses his special abilities, (2) the visit of the alternate-Earth Zeller deepens the mystery as to Mitchell's destiny and leaves more questions than it answers (if any), and (3) we get some flashbacks of the Great Machine in action, be it in a fight simulation or grounding the second airplane on September 11, 2001.
Mike
Aug 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This trade collects Concrete: Killer Smile issues #1-4 and numerous shorter stories from various anthology comics.

The first three volumes add depth and context to what's here but aren't really prerequisites.

Ron's assistant and friend Larry takes center stage in the titular four issues story that comprises the first half of the collection. A small act of kindness and intended flirting at a gas station result in Larry becoming hostage/driver for a psychotic couple with a gun. This is even darker t
Sarah Beaudoin
Mar 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Dave
Shelves: comics
Concrete:Killer Smile was enjoyable but I felt like it was much more a sketch than Fragile Creatures. The narration centers around Larry, who is abducted by a pair of criminals while at a gas station. I'm not particularly attracted to Larry as a character, but this did provide Chadwick with an opportunity to create two surprisingly sympathetic criminal characters. I loved the glimpses of their backgrounds that Chadwick intersperses in the story. Furthermore, this does serve to highlight the loya ...more
Myles
Killer Smile is a perfect thriller: the stakes are high and the characters are all human. Larry Munro, after some harmless if condescending flirting, finds himself held hostage by a sociopath and his girlfriend. Paul Chadwick covers a lot of ground with Concrete, but this is the first time I was turning pages as fast as I could comprehend the spreads. I had to read it through again to take in the subtlety of the composition.

Larry is in many ways the kind of man Concrete wishes he had been and co
Summer
May 28, 2008 rated it liked it
This is probably my least favorite of the Concrete collected works. While Paul Chadwick does write a good story, and his artwork is top-notch as usual, the main narrative in this one just didn't interest me very much, and the climax is just kind of bizarre. This is not to say that it's bad, just that Chadwick can do so much better.
matt
May 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
A straight up action/crime drama from an excellent storyteller. Because it is Paul Chadwick -- it is more than just an adventure - it also offers insights into the human condition, and thought provoking situations that will stay with you long after you have finished reading this.
Michael
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is an intense volume that the characters never really recover from. Even Frank Miller sings its praises (although I seriously doubt he would enjoy the entirety of Concrete).
Tim
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
My favorite of the series so far. Chadwick is in complete control here, great stuff.
Matt Piechocinski
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Solid story telling ... I really like Chadwick's horror anthology at the end of this volume.
Molly
Feb 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was darker than I anticipated. Not neccessarily a bad thing, but not what I was expecting. Also, this was my introduction to the series- I don't know if it's the comic for me.
Kevin Rice
  • The Complete Nemesis The Warlock: Volume 1
  • Tom Strong, Book 2
  • Kid Eternity
  • The Dreamer
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Book IV (TMNT, #4)
  • Omega the Unknown
  • Alias the Cat!
  • Walt and Skeezix, Vol. 1: 1921-1922
  • Alec: The King Canute Crowd
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 11

Paul Chadwick (b.1957) has worked widely as an artist and writer for comic books, with collaborators like Ron Randall, Doug Wheatley, Alan Moore, John Bolton, Harlan Ellison, Jan Strnad, Randy Stradley, Archie Goodwin, Brian K. Vaughan, and others.

He's most noted for his award-winning series Concrete, about a thoughtful man stuck in a brutish, rock-coated body. Born in Seattle, he grew up in its
More about Paul Chadwick...

Concrete (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Concrete, Volume 1: Depths