Start by marking “Euthyphro, Apology, Crito” as Want to Read:
Euthyphro, Apology, Crito

Euthyphro, Apology, Crito

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  621 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Euthyphro has come to indict his own father for the murder of one of their laborers, and Socrates questions him about the nature of justice and his grounds for taking action against his father. Is he impious for attempting to indict his own father, yet would he be guilty of impiety if he does not seek justice for the laborer's murder? Together Euthyphro and Socrates examin ...more
Published 1948 by Pearson

To ask other readers questions about Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Euthyphro, Apology, Crito

André
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books, classics
Queria fazer esta review de forma diferente, começando por partilhar uma conversa que tive há dias com uma amiga sobre a morte e a experiência de morrer para, então, poder estabelecer uma relação com a obra e deixar algumas questões no ar. Sucede, porém, que quanto mais me adiantei na minha tentativa de o fazer, mais me fui afastando do tema central do livro e daquilo que tinha inicialmente pensado, de modo que acabou por perder o sentido. Assim sendo, e como o desânimo levou consigo a já não mu ...more
Ruben Uribe
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
help! i've fallen and I can't get up!
Brian
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as a part of my required ethics course in college at the University of Scranton (good olde Jesuit liberal arts education). I love this book. As a result of reading this book and taking the class, I declared Philosophy as my second major. This is a must read for everyone...especially anyone interested in Philosophy or ethics!
Trinity School Summer Reading
An excellent way to meet Socrates, and Socrates is an excellent way to meet philosophy.
Ali
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful introduction to philosophy with taking a look into the mind of Socrates and his way of life, makes you question your beliefs in questioning on what grounds you base them on.
Marvi
Socrates talks a LOT
Lexi Billick
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-school
This went straight over my head. Socrates is annoying.
Maureen
Aug 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: philosophy
In these dialogues, Plato reports on the trial and sentencing of Socrates, and in so doing, outlines his philosophy. Although The Apology is the most famous of the group, I recommend reading all three dialogues together for the most comprehensive overview of Plato's ideas.

Socrates has been accused of impiety, and the first dialogue contains his discussion with Euthypro on the nature of piety and impiety. Since Euthypro is on his way to accuse his father of this crime, it is particularly relevan
David B
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This slim volume collects Plato's dialogues that concern the death of Socrates. In "Euthyphro," Socrates engages the title character in a discussion on the nature of piety on his way to address the Senate. "Apology" is his powerful defense against charges of corrupting the youth of Athens. In "Crito," he explains to friends who would arrange his escape that, having benefited from the laws of the state in the past, he cannot violate them now simply because they inconvenience him.

Obviously, these
David Bonesteel
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Obviously, these
Brandon
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stories in this book follow Socrates as written by Plato. None of the stories are first hand accounts because Socrates felt that something was lost when a tale or argument is written rather than spoken. The main plotline concerns Socrates trial. Euthyphro contains a massive dialogue about the will of the gods and right and wrong, The Defence covers the actual trial of Socrates, and Crito contains a lengthy dialogue about abiding to law for the sake of not undermining the government system.

S
Desaray Granzow
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
The Apology is really why I have this(not to leave out Crito and Euthyphro - but The Apology is THE work of Socrates whith,I think, the most impact).

Learning about what we believe we know of Socrates and his surroundings at the time these works were written - the complex subtext is worth re-examining over the years. I also like to use this work as a learning tool for advanced high school Lincoln Douglas Debate students.
Nicholas Turner
This book was truly interesting. It posed many moral questions and spiritual. Being my first Philosophy book it was a bit hard to understand what was going on at first. If I went back to read it now I'm sure I would rank it higher than a 3/5.
Chris Linehan
I've read a couple versions of this more than a few times each and there is always a little bit more to take each time. It really is a great introduction to Socrates (and Plato). It's a prime example of someone who is many things, but never anything other than authentic.
Rachel
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Plato makes Socrates look like a real cool guy.
Adrian Randall
"...your zeal is invaluable, if a right one; but if wrong, the greater the zeal the greater the danger."
Lori
It is a dilemma to review such a piece of work.
B.R. Depue
Aug 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Not a great book. Had a hard time following it and had no clue what was going on most of the time in any of the stories. I do not recommend this to others.
Victoria Peruski
I read this for my Great Works class. His way of arguing is very intriguing to me. He really works off of the idea of the more you know, the more you realize the less you actually do know.
Angela Pattrick
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Required reading for my history degree. The unexamined life is no life for a human being to live.
Erin
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
So boring had to read it for a class.
Joshua
Mar 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Euthyphro dialogue is the most important thing ever written, LDO.
Matt
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it

Still remember the cerebral stretches I underwent when going through the paces of "Euthyphro" as a mere Frosh...
Ashley
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Interesting look on the philosophy of Plato.
Bob Conner
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very good reference book to have in your library. Three of the most read Plato works all in one.
Gregory
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-books
Apology, Crito
Matthew
Feb 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Plato's account of Socrates last days, a kind of Gospel According to Plato. Quite moving
Yilin Wong
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Yilin by: Chabot Philosophy
Read for first philosophy class. Leaned more about Socrates after reading it. Was able to find some good quotes here and there. Can be hard to understand some times.
April
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  • A Brief History of Ancient Greece: Politics, Society and Culture
  • The Misanthrope, Tartuffe, and Other Plays
  • The Oxford Classical Dictionary
  • Workbook for Wheelock's Latin
  • Proving History: Bayes's Theorem and the Quest for the Historical Jesus
  • After Capitalism (New Critical Theory)
  • Self-Ownership, Freedom, and Equality
  • Ludwig Feuerbach and the Outcome of Classical German Philosophy
  • Some Fruits of Solitude
(Greek: Πλάτων) (Arabic: أفلاطون) (Alternate Spelling: Platón, Platone)
Plato is a Classical Greek philosopher, mathematician, student of Socrates, writer of philosophical dialogues, and founder of the Academy in Athens, the first institution of higher learning in the Western world. Along with his mentor, Socrates, and his student, Aristotle, Plato helped to lay the foundations of Western philosoph
More about Plato

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99