Start by marking “Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy (Runaways, #1)” as Want to Read:
Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy (Runaways, #1)

Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy

(Runaways (2005) (Collected Editions) #1)

Meet Alex, Karolina, Gert, Chase, Molly and Nico - a group of teens whose lives are about to take an unexpected turn...

Runaways vol. 1 #1-6
Published December 6th 2006 by Marvel

Anne
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read Pride and Joy as part of a larger volume years ago, but what with my daughter wanting me to watch the tv show with her, I thought it was probably time to dust off the cobwebs and do a re-read.

description

And, hey! This was still a cool story.
The basic premise is that these kids discover their parents are supervillains when they stumble onto them ritualistically killing a young woman at their annual house party.

description

They freak out and go on the run (<--because they're runaways! ) together, trying to fi
Jan Philipzig
“What If They’re Not Good Guys?”

Deuteronomy 5:16
“Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, that your days may be prolonged...”

Reverence for parental figures has traditionally been held up as an untouchable virtue in superhero comics, with heroes like the Batman and Spider-Man devoting their entire lives to the memory of their guardians. But what if those guardians don’t actually deserve all that reverence? What if they were never as benevolent as we were brought
Sh3lly
So there's this group of kids who grew up seeing each other occasionally while their rich parents discussed fundraisers and whatever else rich adults talk about privately. The kids never think anything of it as the years pass, and then one day (how time flies), they're teenagers, and decide to spy on their parents having one of their "meetings." HOLY BATMAN - they're actually super villains called The Pride!!!

That's the premise of this series, and of course, the kids discover their parents kept
Sam Quixote
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mums and dads play a major role in superhero stories. Frequently they are the hero’s main motivation for becoming the superhero in the first place: Bruce Wayne’s parents were shot dead, Kal-El’s parents’ last act was to send him to Earth where he became Superman, Peter Parker’s father figure Uncle Ben was killed by a mugger, Hal Jordan’s dad died in a plane crash, Odin gave Thor his powers by forging Mjolnir, Charles Xavier shepherded untold numbers of young mutants to realise their full potenti ...more
Chad
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think every kid has wondered at one time or another if their parents were actually evil. What if your philanthropic parents were in truth ritually sacrificing people in those meetings? That's what happens with the kids in Runaways. The kids of course, freak out and slowly figure out the deal with their parents as they go on the run.

I decided to revisit Runaways with the publication of the Complete Collection line. I'd forgotten how YA this is. This was part of Marvel's Tsunami imprint where th
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, z2018
Original and interesting concept for a comic. I like all of the characters but I’m hoping there will be some character development as the story goes on. The illustrations are quite simple but I like them. I loved the colours used. I’m excited to see where this one goes.
Paul E. Morph
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
First book of 2019!

Re-reading the early days of the Runaways. I had completely forgotten this was originally part of Marvel's short-lived 'Tsunami' range of supposedly manga-inspired titles.

This is a great set-up. The only thing that stops it getting five stars from me is the artwork, which, while perfectly serviceable, stops short of greatness. Knowing how much the artist has improved in the last fifteen years, it'd be cool to get them to redraw these early issues. Or pointless. One of the othe
Scarlet Cameo
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!!!
What would you do if you discover that your parents are super villains? And if, after that, you find out that yourself have powers?

Fucking awesome photo tumblr_lnbcsmF6Ss1qcado6.gif

That's the premise of this history and let's be real,if you have a tons of teenagers for that plot it can be really awesome or a total disaster. In this case we have a incredible story.

But, what is what make it so good? First, this isn't the typical superheroes comics. Yes, it shows the moment when discover their powers, or abilities or artefacts that let them figh
Elizabeth
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute premise, cute drawings, cute dinosaur. Occasional shocking violence. Fun combination!
Sleeping with Ghosts
How old is James Masters in the TV show adaptation from this cómic. Since 2002 when I fall in love with him for being Spike in Buffy.
Sandra
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, marvel
This is pretty cool! It really is. The title accurately shows you what this is about.

WHAT IT IS ABOUT?

Runaways is about a group of teenagers who witnessed something they shouldn't have, and now, they are on the run.

I don't want to spoil anything for you guys so I won't go into too much details about the plot.

MY THOUGHTS

- This story was about teenagers who acted like teenagers. I loved that they didn't act like they were older than they are. They made stupid, irrational decisions, like most
Joanna (joreadsalot)
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hey Book Peeps

So this graphic novel was in a Booktuber's TBR list and once it was described to have X-men vibes I was sold. I decided to grab it from the library and give it a go and I am so glad that I did. I really enjoyed the storyline even though it is part mystery. There is a lot of info kind of thrown at you but its never more than you can handle and it is just enough to keep you coming back for more.

All the runaway characters were fantastic. They all had distinct personalities and back s
Sesana
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
A fun read, but so far really preoccupied with setting up the plot. At the very end of the first book, we've just gotten to the premise of the series: a group of teenagers discover that their parents are actually powerful supervillains and go on the run. This time, I don't actually mind that it took so long to get the plot running, because the setup is necessary and because we need an introduction to what's actually a pretty big cast of characters. The teens are likeable enough that I want to ke ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Reviews:

I've now got a fangirl crush on Brian K. Vaughan. What an amazing writer! Who hasn't imagined he or she was on the run from the parents? I love how this book takes one of my favorite plot devices - being on the run - and combines it with a great, diverse cast of likeable characters.

I'm going to get poor from all the amazing comic book series I keep finding!
Dan
Feb 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Introduction to the runaways, and their parents the Pride. I liked this collection of stories better than the ones that followed. I know I should have read this first, but it didn't work out that way. I was a bit confused during some parts because it almost seemed like the kids were misunderstanding what the parents were doing, but then, in the end, it was that they were villains. SO I dunno how they made it seem like they were not in the beginning.
Artemy
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
Very nice story (very Vaughan-y), but I don't like the artwork. It's not offensive to the eye, but it just isn't good. I think the book lost some of it's charm because of how uninspired the art is.
Still, the writing and the plot is good enough to continue reading.
Rebecca McNutt
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! It was funny, exciting, thrilling and the imaginative characters are totally unforgettable. Definitely worth reading. :)
Julio Bonilla
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
The prodigal children have returned.

Alex Wilder leads his group of friends away from their parents after witnessing the death of a teenager...

Callie Rose Tyler
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
UGH! Why did I wait so long to read this awesome teen comic! All the characters are fantastic and the setup/plot is awesome. Kids versus their parents, what an interesting dynamic. LOVE IT! Must read!
Mike
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this book years ago - probably when it was still an active series in its early, obsessive days of new wild-eyed fans who couldn't believe comics could be this good.

At the time I thought it was a little juvenile for my tastes - who would I be kidding, a grown man reading a comic about a group of teenagers? So I think I put it away and tried to forget how skeezy I felt, and returned to stuff that was a little more age-appropriate (or at least didn't make me think of how many perverts droole
Anna (Bananas)
This was pure fun and I didn't want to put it down once I started. Six kids discover their parents are supervillains and band together to fight against them. Perfect for teens but adults will enjoy this too. There's a twist at the end that makes you want to keep reading - so I'm starting Vol 2 tonight.
 photo Runaways2_zpse81384ce.jpg

First impressions:
Alex - I see potential in his super smarts. He also seems like the sensitive one.
Nico - a cool goth girl, hooray!
Chase - seems kind of dumb but I'll give him the ben
MissAnnThrope
10 July 2013

This series would be excellent for anyone killing time waiting for the next Morning Glories to be released. Murder, corruption, time-travel - who can resist? Granted, Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy is a bit more PG-13 and isn't nearly as gory, but hot damn is it fun!

This volume engages you from the very first page and keeps the excitement going up until the very last page. It's Brian K. Vaughan, so the writing is top-notch and almost feels like you're watching a psychological/actio
Caitlin
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: format-gn
What would you do if you found out your parents led double lives as supervillains? The six kids in Runaways have only one things in common: their parents. Every year, they all meet up and the kids have to hang out together while their parents have a meeting about something adult and important, which turns out to be their secret villain society. Each kid finds everything they know turned upside down, especially since each of those parents has a potential power legacy that each kid has to adjust t ...more
David Schaafsma
Brian Vaughn and Joss Wheedon are two of the best sci-fi/fantasy writers alive and it is great they are also gn writers. They are similar in that they are witty, sometimes downright hilarious, they are pop culture and sci-fi/fantasy scholars, they read everything and anything... and they are very smart. For instance, Vaughn goes from references to the Who to Twister the Avengers to technology to romance... everything, and he knows how to tell a story...
Alexa
Apr 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Thoroughly amused by the premise of this novel! It's real interesting to witness these young teens coming to terms with what they discover. But the tone definitely makes it seem a little young! Still curious as to what they plan to do.
Paul
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic graphic novel. It works as a Young Adult story. I works as a Mystery. It is brilliantly interwoven with Super Hero/Super Villain tropes. Highly recommended.
Gary Butler
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
76th book read in 2014.

Number 17 out of 419 on my all time book list.

Follow the link below to see my video review:

Joana Veríssimo
So I started the show and here I am now!! This was so GOOD and it's still different from the show, which definitely makes sense since it has been about 10 years since this came out :) Also definitely spoiling myself for the show
The kids are all very interesting and I really like how they interact with each other (but I think I also like the beginning of where they are more on the show), but it's very interesting to see them on their own and trying to deal what they have found out
Just one thing,
Noninuna
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This is average series starter where we got to be introduced to the main characters, their enemies and the problem. Most teenagers think that their parents are their enemies but for Alex, Chase, Molly, Gert, Nico and Karolina, this is going to be quite literally.
Kayla Leitschuh
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Unfortunately, I like the television show better. The characters in the graphic novel are not as strong or smart and can be annoying.

• Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids
  • She-Hulk, Volume 2: Superhuman Law
  • Invincible, Vol. 1: Family Matters
  • Avengers: The Enemy Within
  • Alias, Vol. 3: The Underneath
  • Angel & Faith: Death and Consequences (Season 9, Volume 4)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Retreat (Season 8, Volume 6)
  • Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways
Brian K. Vaughan is the writer and co-creator of comic-book series including SAGA, PAPER GIRLS, Y THE LAST MAN, RUNAWAYS, and most recently, BARRIER, a digital comic with artist Marcos Martin about immigration, available from their pay-what-you-want site www.PanelSyndicate.com

BKV's work has been recognized at the Eisner, Harvey, Hugo, Shuster, Eagle, and British Fantasy Awards. He sometimes writes

Runaways (2005) (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Runaways, Vol. 2:  Teenage Wasteland (Runaways, #2)
  • Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young (Runaways, #3)
  • Runaways, Vol. 4: True Believers (Runaways, #4)
  • Runaways, Vol. 5: Escape to New York (Runaways, #5)
  • Runaways, Vol. 6: Parental Guidance (Runaways, #6)
  • Runaways, Vol. 7: Live Fast (Runaways, #7)
  • Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids
  • Runaways, Vol. 9: Dead Wrong
  • Runaways, Vol. 10: Rock Zombies (Runaways, #10)
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling
“How is it possible that our parents lied to us?"

"Lets see: Santa, the Tooth Fairy,the Easter bunny,um, God. You're the prettiest kid in school. This wont hurt a bit. Your face will freeze like that..."

"Everythings going to be alright.”
117 likes
“...capitalism may be the unequal distribution of wealth, socialism is the equal distribution of poverty.” 13 likes