Start by marking “Pride and Joy (Runaways, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pride and Joy (Runaways, #1)

Pride and Joy (Runaways #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  22,846 Ratings  ·  848 Reviews
Meet Alex, Karolina, Gert, Chase, Molly and Nico - a group of teens whose lives are about to take an unexpected turn...

Runaways vol. 1 #1-6
Published December 6th 2006 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Pride and Joy, please sign up.

Anne
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read Pride and Joy as part of a larger volume years ago, but what with my daughter wanting me to watch the tv show with her, I thought it was probably time to dust off the cobwebs and do a re-read.

description

And, hey! This was still a cool story.
The basic premise is that these kids discover their parents are supervillains when they stumble onto them ritualistically killing a young woman at their annual house party.

description

They freak out and go on the run (<--because they're runaways! ) together, trying to fi
Jan Philipzig
“What If They’re Not Good Guys?”

Deuteronomy 5:16
“Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, that your days may be prolonged...”

Reverence for parental figures has traditionally been held up as an untouchable virtue in superhero comics, with heroes like the Batman and Spider-Man devoting their entire lives to the memory of their guardians. But what if those guardians don’t actually deserve all that reverence? What if they were never as benevolent as we were brought
 ⚔ Sh3lly ⚔
So there's this group of kids who grew up seeing each other occasionally while their rich parents discussed fundraisers and whatever else rich adults talk about privately. The kids never think anything of it as the years pass, and then one day (how time flies), they're teenagers, and decide to spy on their parents having one of their "meetings." HOLY BATMAN - they're actually super villains called The Pride!!!

That's the premise of this series, and of course, the kids discover their parents kept
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, graphic-novels
Original and interesting concept for a comic. I like all of the characters but I’m hoping there will be some character development as the story goes on. The illustrations are quite simple but I like them. I loved the colours used. I’m excited to see where this one goes.
Sam Quixote
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mums and dads play a major role in superhero stories. Frequently they are the hero’s main motivation for becoming the superhero in the first place: Bruce Wayne’s parents were shot dead, Kal-El’s parents’ last act was to send him to Earth where he became Superman, Peter Parker’s father figure Uncle Ben was killed by a mugger, Hal Jordan’s dad died in a plane crash, Odin gave Thor his powers by forging Mjolnir, Charles Xavier shepherded untold numbers of young mutants to realise their full potenti ...more
Scarlet Cameo
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!!!
What would you do if you discover that your parents are super villains? And if, after that, you find out that yourself have powers?

Fucking awesome photo tumblr_lnbcsmF6Ss1qcado6.gif

That's the premise of this history and let's be real,if you have a tons of teenagers for that plot it can be really awesome or a total disaster. In this case we have a incredible story.

But, what is what make it so good? First, this isn't the typical superheroes comics. Yes, it shows the moment when discover their powers, or abilities or artefacts that let them fight
Elizabeth
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute premise, cute drawings, cute dinosaur. Occasional shocking violence. Fun combination!
Mitticus
Not for me.

Teen angst fantasy of children vs parents.

-----------------

El otro dia por casualidad vi los primeros capitulos de la serie Marvel Runaways, y recordé que habia visto un review de los comics, asi que decidi ver de que se trataba. Bueno, no me impresionó, para nada. De hecho, la forma en que se enfocó la serie es mucho mejor que la manera en que la trama se presenta, totalmente desenfocada y descontinuada.

La historia en si es 'simpática'. Unos chicos adolescentes y una preadolescente
Saga Norén
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
How old is James Masters in the TV show adaptation from this cómic. Since 2002 when I fall in love with him for being Spike in Buffy.
aria [dear darling reader]
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel, graphic-novel
This is pretty cool! It really is. The title accurately shows you what this is about.

WHAT IT IS ABOUT?

Runaways is about a group of teenagers who witnessed something they shouldn't have, and now, they are on the run.

I don't want to spoil anything for you guys so I won't go into too much details about the plot.

MY THOUGHTS

- This story was about teenagers who acted like teenagers. I loved that they didn't act like they were older than they are. They made stupid, irrational decisions, like most
Sesana
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
A fun read, but so far really preoccupied with setting up the plot. At the very end of the first book, we've just gotten to the premise of the series: a group of teenagers discover that their parents are actually powerful supervillains and go on the run. This time, I don't actually mind that it took so long to get the plot running, because the setup is necessary and because we need an introduction to what's actually a pretty big cast of characters. The teens are likeable enough that I want to ke ...more
Joanna (joreadsalot)
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hey Book Peeps

So this graphic novel was in a Booktuber's TBR list and once it was described to have X-men vibes I was sold. I decided to grab it from the library and give it a go and I am so glad that I did. I really enjoyed the storyline even though it is part mystery. There is a lot of info kind of thrown at you but its never more than you can handle and it is just enough to keep you coming back for more.

All the runaway characters were fantastic. They all had distinct personalities and back s
Cisz Strasters
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Geweldige verhaallijn, prettig geschreven en goede graphics! Snel verder in vol. 2 ♡
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Reviews:

I've now got a fangirl crush on Brian K. Vaughan. What an amazing writer! Who hasn't imagined he or she was on the run from the parents? I love how this book takes one of my favorite plot devices - being on the run - and combines it with a great, diverse cast of likeable characters.

I'm going to get poor from all the amazing comic book series I keep finding!
Rebecca McNutt
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! It was funny, exciting, thrilling and the imaginative characters are totally unforgettable. Definitely worth reading. :)
Javier Muñoz
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Partiendo de una premisa ya de por sí original (un grupo de adolescentes que descubren que sus padres son supervillanos), Vaughan consigue sorprendernos en cada capítulo con pequeños giros, descubrimientos y cliffhangers, pero lo que hace bueno este cómic, superentretenido y con un punto adictivo es, además de los personajes que construye Vaughan, el ritmo narrativo y el tono juvenil, que más de 10 años después sigue resultando fresco como el primer día. La lectura es rápida y ligera, caen los n ...more
Callie Rose Tyler
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
UGH! Why did I wait so long to read this awesome teen comic! All the characters are fantastic and the setup/plot is awesome. Kids versus their parents, what an interesting dynamic. LOVE IT! Must read!
Anna  (Bananas!)
This was pure fun and I didn't want to put it down once I started. Six kids discover their parents are supervillains and band together to fight against them. Perfect for teens but adults will enjoy this too. There's a twist at the end that makes you want to keep reading - so I'm starting Vol 2 tonight.
 photo Runaways2_zpse81384ce.jpg

First impressions:
Alex - I see potential in his super smarts. He also seems like the sensitive one.
Nico - a cool goth girl, hooray!
Chase - seems kind of dumb but I'll give him the bene
Taha
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Patrick Rothfuss'un yorumunu görüp okumaya karar verdiğim "harika" bir çizgi romandı.
Özellikle karakterlerin farklılığını çok beğendim:) 6 ana karakter de harikaydı bence.
description
-Çizgi roman, 6 ergenin, ailelerinin "Pride" isimli bir gruba bağlı süper-kötüler olduğunu öğrenip birlikte ailelerinden kaçarak kendilerini ve dünyayı kurtarmaya çalışmalarını anlatıyor. En azından ilk cilt bu şekilde ilerliyor:)
-Kitaptaki her karakterin farklı savaş taktikleri olması (çocukların hepsi mutant değil) özellikle
MissAnnThrope
10 July 2013

This series would be excellent for anyone killing time waiting for the next Morning Glories to be released. Murder, corruption, time-travel - who can resist? Granted, Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy is a bit more PG-13 and isn't nearly as gory, but hot damn is it fun!

This volume engages you from the very first page and keeps the excitement going up until the very last page. It's Brian K. Vaughan, so the writing is top-notch and almost feels like you're watching a psychological/actio
ALEXA
Apr 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Thoroughly amused by the premise of this novel! It's real interesting to witness these young teens coming to terms with what they discover. But the tone definitely makes it seem a little young! Still curious as to what they plan to do.
Gary Butler
76th book read in 2014.

Number 17 out of 419 on my all time book list.

Follow the link below to see my video review:

Christopher
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, graphic-novels
Joana Veríssimo
So I started the show and here I am now!! This was so GOOD and it's still different from the show, which definitely makes sense since it has been about 10 years since this came out :) Also definitely spoiling myself for the show
The kids are all very interesting and I really like how they interact with each other (but I think I also like the beginning of where they are more on the show), but it's very interesting to see them on their own and trying to deal what they have found out
Just one thing,
Kayla Leitschuh
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Unfortunately, I like the television show better. The characters in the graphic novel are not as strong or smart and can be annoying.
Jessica-Robyn
To see a preview of the art be sure to check out this review on my blog, Reading Robyn.

A lot of people these days cringe when they hear the words "origin story" and I can't blame them. There's only so many times you can be told about Superman's fall to earth or how Spider-Man gets those fancy web-slingers. When it comes to the guys that have been around longer then I've been around I think it's safe to say we get the point. Despite this though, I have always had a thing for origins, especially w
Anna (Curiosity comes before Kay)
So, I really and truly enjoyed this one! I liked each of the teens and felt they all brought something important to the group dynamic. Basically, this is the story of six teens who have known each other their whole lives. They are not friends, their parents just do business once a year and they're forced to hang out; but this year, they go snooping and find out their parents are a powered, super-villain group called the Pride!!! Turns out the annual charity fundraiser meeting is really the annua ...more
StoryTellerShannon
What if teenagers found out their super rich yet boring parents were super villains and tried to turn them in? The first volume deals with the family relationships and the various realizations. The kids make a lot of pop culture references from 5-10 years back or more so you may have to look these up online or ignore it.

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
Good art, good story and in a world where superheroes are real why wouldn't it make sense that Super Villains are as well.

What happens when villain's have babies and those babies grow up to be teenagers with a wavering sense of right and wrong but understand the value of good and evil?

When parents are willing to kill their children, frame them for murder and give them pet raptors - it's a crazy mixed up world.

With classic rock references, modern day references and an old movie or two it's gonna
Victoria S
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
3.5/5
No soy muy fanática de los comics o novelas gráficas, es un formato de historia al que me cuesta acostumbrarme pero me alegra haberle dado una oportunidad a esta historia.
El volúmen 1 definitivamente se siente como un volúmen fundacional pero tiene una premisa interesante, con personajes muy buenos, y quiero saber como continúa la historia porque el final fue muy bueno. Me gustan mucho los misterios que presentó y me dejó con ganas de saber más.
  • Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids
  • Runaways, Vol. 10: Rock Zombies (Runaways, #10)
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling
  • Morning Glories, Vol. 1: For a Better Future
  • Young Avengers, Volume 1: Style > Substance
  • Captain Marvel, Volume 2: Down
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 4: Last Days
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo
More about Brian K. Vaughan

Runaways (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Runaways, Vol. 2:  Teenage Wasteland (Runaways, #2)
  • Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young (Runaways, #3)
  • Runaways, Vol. 4: True Believers (Runaways, #4)
  • Runaways, Vol. 5: Escape to New York (Runaways, #5)
  • Runaways, Vol. 6: Parental Guidance (Runaways, #6)
  • Runaways, Vol. 7: Live Fast (Runaways, #7)
  • Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways
  • Runaways Saga
  • Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids
  • Mystic Arcana Sister Grimm #1

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“How is it possible that our parents lied to us?"

"Lets see: Santa, the Tooth Fairy,the Easter bunny,um, God. You're the prettiest kid in school. This wont hurt a bit. Your face will freeze like that..."

"Everythings going to be alright.”
119 likes
“...capitalism may be the unequal distribution of wealth, socialism is the equal distribution of poverty.” 13 likes