Start by marking “I Can Make a Difference: A Treasury to Inspire Our Children” as Want to Read:
I Can Make a Difference: A Treasury to Inspire Our Children

I Can Make a Difference: A Treasury to Inspire Our Children

Marian Wright Edelman has drawn from a variety of cultures and peoples to compile these timeless stories, poems, songs, quotations, and folktales that speak to all children to let them know that they can make a difference in today's world.
Published November 1st 2005 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about I Can Make a Difference, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Can Make a Difference

Start your review of I Can Make a Difference: A Treasury to Inspire Our Children
Christine Turner
Art Camp -- Li Chi and the Serpent

Note:

I can make a difference by loving myself and others as God loves us and treating others respectfully and fairly -- I can make a difference by being courageous -- I can make a difference by aiming high and holding on to my
Beyond the Pages
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a wonderful book. I’m so glad that I added it to my family read aloud time. It is filled with a treasure trove of wisdom lessons and encouragement for the young and the young-at-heart. Bravo!

Rating: 5/5
Recommend: Yes
Keeper: Yes
Monique
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've had this book for years but finally read it today. This is an inspiring collection of poems, short stories and ideas on how we can all make a difference in the world. Great for kids of all ages.
April Fusilier
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: text-set
Marian Wright Edelman has complied a wholesome collection of short stories, poems, fables, and wise words from across cultures that offers children wonderful examples about how they can make a difference in the world. Some models on how they can make a difference is by being generous, loving and courageous individuals. One fable illiterates how one situation could be made better or worse depending on the attitudes of the individuals involved. I enjoy the fact that students are being armed with ...more
Sarah Hurdelbrink
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book serves as a sampling of poems, anecdotes, stories, and instructions for how all children can make a difference in the world, regardless of where they are from or what religious beliefs they hold. The author has included a wide variety of examples and has drawn on the histories and beliefs of many cultures and groups of people in compiling this book. The text is designed to affirm the power inherent in each human being to shape the world in which they live.
Sam Bloom
A nice collection of poems, fables, and folktales from around the world, all used to illustrate 12 different ways that kids can make a difference. The 12 ways are separated into chapters (i.e., "I can make a difference by being courageous, "...by caring and serving," etc.) With illustrations by Barry Moser, who incidentally rocks, this is a strong collection despite a few clunkers.
Rachel Dalton
This is an awesome collection of poems, short stories, quotes, and fables. It is organized into sections of ways we can make a difference as individuals, such as working together, being honest, treating others with respect, and being generous. I am using some of the fables for teaching inferring. However, I could use the poems for a variety of lessons and activities as well.
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Gr 2-4 Booklist
presents commonality among world religions- to love your neighbor. chapters set up as good morals to have to 'make a difference'. includes poems, short stories, and folklore from multiple cultures and times periouds. excellent book.
Katherine
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: elementary
A truly inspiring collection of stories, poems, and quotations about characteristics that will build stronger children. A little disappointing; I thought sometimes the book was written just to showcase the compiler's own writings.
sarafem
Mar 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Make your child an activist today.
Partridge Public
Edelman, Marian W.
Stephanie
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
We used this book daily in our summer program and I absolutely loved it! It has moral driven tales from all walks of life and cultures.
Pat