Start by marking “Faceless” as Want to Read:
Faceless

Faceless

Street life in the slums of Accra is realistically portrayed in this socially-commited, subtle novel about four educated women who are inspired by the plight of a 14-year old girl, Fofo. As the main characters convert their library center into a practical street initiative, the novel invokes the squalor, health risks, and vicious cycles of poverty and violence that drive c ...more
Published January 1st 1996 by Sub-Saharan Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Faceless, please sign up.
Samuel Nii Amma Darko uses MUTE to paint a vivid picture of non governmental organisation are pushing to eradicate the problem of streetism in Ghana. Kabria's…moreAmma Darko uses MUTE to paint a vivid picture of non governmental organisation are pushing to eradicate the problem of streetism in Ghana. Kabria's accidental encounter with Fofo opens many doors in the life of this Brave young heroine.
MUTE helps Fofo accomplish her life long dream, to have a place of convenience under the same roof of the house
(less)
Isah Godwin Give account of the events that led to tremendous transformation of fofo life in faceless by Amman darko?

Shanique Streete
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book while an exchange student at the University of Ghana. 'Faceless' brings attention to street children in Ghana. In her novel, Darko describes their strength, vulnerabilities, and some of the circumstances that force children to leave their homes for life on the street. 'Faceless' acts also as social commentary on the status of women and children in Ghana. Powerful book!
Nana Kesewaa
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting story on a side of street girls I never really knew....I like a statement on page 112 by Ms. Kamame about our society failing to stick out our necks for street children. In the end, we all bear the responsibility one way or the other.
Nana Fredua-Agyeman
In this book, Amma Darko provides vividly what it is to live on the streets. It begins with a death. An interesting novel. Read my review here

Thanks
Jerome Kuseh
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: african
Not Amma's best book.
Lisa
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Celestine (Reading Pleasure)
Shelves: ghana, africa, c21st, kindle
Faceless by Ghanian author Amma Darko, is one of the saddest books I’ve ever read. I discovered it via Celestine’s review at Reading Pleasure but even so I was unprepared for the bleak world it represents with such chilling authenticity.

It is a story of street children in the chaotic slums of Accra (the capital of Ghana) and although it ends with a hopeful resolution for one child, the novel leaves an indelible impression that there is no future for thousands of others. It’s a story of exploitat
Liza Schreiner
Jan 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
My least favorite of the books I read abroad. About Kwame and a good insight into his life and personality, but I didn't really enjoy it too much. Saw a terribly hilarious performance of it in Accra.
BLUEMANICE
Apr 10, 2015 marked it as to-read
is good
Ensa
Nov 15, 2015 marked it as to-read
i like the novel i indeed enjoyed reading it
Jade
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Faceless was an entertaining book that had a lot of twists and turns to the plot, Poison was an interesting character. What I appreciate about the book is that there are two stories about two different people one being Fofo and the other person being the African mother, and how the story combines the two people together to figure out the mystery of Poison and why Poison is doing the things that he does. I also care about the African mother in the story the second main character which is also a r ...more
Viktorya
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this book in 2011 and before that I'd never read a book totally set in Ghana but after reading Darko's book, I sought out books similar to hers...
I think she may have overestimated things a bit but altogether she created a vivid image that I found quite easy to capture, made be believe at a certain point that I really saw what she saw and truthfully that is what I look for in books...
Bonnee Bentum
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ghana and the power of its women. A young adult to adult reading. Eye opening
Babu
Anu
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Živa
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
An insight in to the life of people in Ghana, Akra. Well written, easy to read.
Kismet Chiamaka
.... The beauty in creativity is revealed in this book....
Esther K.
Jan 15, 2019
Funsho James abikoye
Nov 09, 2014
Hamatu Mugizz
rated it did not like it
Jul 08, 2017
  • Cloth Girl
  • The Restless Supermarket
  • AMA
  • Ghana: The Autobiography of Kwame Nkrumah
  • Africa Doesn't Matter: How the West Has Failed the Poorest Continent and What We Can Do about It
  • Powder Necklace
  • In My Father's House: Africa in the Philosophy of Culture
  • Grief Child
  • The Fortunes of Wangrin
  • African Perspectives on Colonialism
  • Little Boys Come from the Stars
  • Untapped: The Scramble for Africa's Oil
  • Dancing Skeletons: Life and Death in West Africa
Amma Darko (born 1956) is an African novelist.

She was born in Koforidua, Ghana, and grew up in Accra. She studied in Kumasi, where she received her diploma in 1980. Then she worked for the Science and Technology Center in Kumasi. During the eighties, she lived and worked for some time in Germany. She has since returned to Accra.

(from Wikipedia)