Start by marking “Faceless” as Want to Read:
Faceless

Faceless

Street life in the slums of Accra is realistically portrayed in this socially-commited, subtle novel about four educated women who are inspired by the plight of a 14-year old girl, Fofo. As the main characters convert their library center into a practical street initiative, the novel invokes the squalor, health risks, and vicious cycles of poverty and violence that drive c ...more
Published January 1st 1996 by Sub-Saharan Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Faceless, please sign up.
Samuel Nii Amma Darko uses MUTE to paint a vivid picture of non governmental organisation are pushing to eradicate the problem of streetism in Ghana. Kabria's ac…moreAmma Darko uses MUTE to paint a vivid picture of non governmental organisation are pushing to eradicate the problem of streetism in Ghana. Kabria's accidental encounter with Fofo opens many doors in the life of this Brave young heroine.
MUTE helps Fofo accomplish her life long dream, to have a place of convenience under the same roof of the house
(less)
Isah Godwin Give account of the events that led to tremendous transformation of fofo life in faceless by Amman darko?

Start your review of Faceless
Shanique Streete
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book while an exchange student at the University of Ghana. 'Faceless' brings attention to street children in Ghana. In her novel, Darko describes their strength, vulnerabilities, and some of the circumstances that force children to leave their homes for life on the street. 'Faceless' acts also as social commentary on the status of women and children in Ghana. Powerful book!
Nana Kesewaa
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting story on a side of street girls I never really knew....I like a statement on page 112 by Ms. Kamame about our society failing to stick out our necks for street children. In the end, we all bear the responsibility one way or the other.
Nana Fredua-Agyeman
In this book, Amma Darko provides vividly what it is to live on the streets. It begins with a death. An interesting novel. Read my review here

Thanks
Lisa
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Celestine (Reading Pleasure)
Shelves: ghana, kindle, africa, c21st
Faceless by Ghanian author Amma Darko, is one of the saddest books I’ve ever read. I discovered it via Celestine’s review at Reading Pleasure but even so I was unprepared for the bleak world it represents with such chilling authenticity.

It is a story of street children in the chaotic slums of Accra (the capital of Ghana) and although it ends with a hopeful resolution for one child, the novel leaves an indelible impression that there is no future for thousands of others. It’s a story of exploitat
Mitchie Rainbow
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I liked how she clearly expressed the struggles of children on the streets and the difficulties of providing help for them. She didn't treat the situation like it an open and shut case and showed lots of nuance in her writing. The main character Fofo is well written and the writer makes me want to root for her. It's a good read but I do have to say that there are slight moments of violence and mature activity in the book so if those offend you, tread cautiously.
Jerome Kuseh
Shelves: joy-nnamdi
It is a good novel
Jade
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Faceless was an entertaining book that had a lot of twists and turns to the plot, Poison was an interesting character. What I appreciate about the book is that there are two stories about two different people one being Fofo and the other person being the African mother, and how the story combines the two people together to figure out the mystery of Poison and why Poison is doing the things that he does. I also care about the African mother in the story the second main character which is also a r ...more
Viktorya
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this book in 2011 and before that I'd never read a book totally set in Ghana but after reading Darko's book, I sought out books similar to hers...
I think she may have overestimated things a bit but altogether she created a vivid image that I found quite easy to capture, made be believe at a certain point that I really saw what she saw and truthfully that is what I look for in books...
Liza Schreiner
Jan 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
My least favorite of the books I read abroad. About Kwame and a good insight into his life and personality, but I didn't really enjoy it too much. Saw a terribly hilarious performance of it in Accra.
Ensa
Nov 15, 2015 marked it as to-read
i like the novel i indeed enjoyed reading it
It Se
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My best novel ever
Sochi Nebe
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is a book that portrays not only the pain of children but also the pains that women go through how the government lack in giving the basic amenities needed and therefore making the children to fend for themselve i see this book as an eye-opener for both male and female but specifically for the females as Darko has poured out her heart in full details while writing this book.
Eric Asare
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faceless
Bonnee Bentum
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ghana and the power of its women. A young adult to adult reading. Eye opening
Živa
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
An insight in to the life of people in Ghana, Akra. Well written, easy to read.
Anu
How do u read the book
Nwaji Uzondu
Precious
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Please how do I start reading?
Praise Quansah
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
help me download this book

TOROMADE Abiodun
May 04, 2020 marked it as to-read
Write a review (optional)nice novel
Eugene
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have read many but I can testify that faceless is boom power In it Amma Darko is best
Kismet Chiamaka
.... The beauty in creativity is revealed in this book....
Muhammad

• An Object of Beauty
  • Somethin' About That Boy
  • Leaves of Grass
  • Apropos of Nothing
  • The Rural Diaries: Love, Livestock, and Big Life Lessons Down on Mischief Farm
  • Your Blue Is Not My Blue: A Missing Person Memoir
  • Long Walk To Freedom (Volume 1: 1918-1962)
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • Good Faeries Bad Faeries
Amma Darko (born 1956) is an African novelist.

She was born in Koforidua, Ghana, and grew up in Accra. She studied in Kumasi, where she received her diploma in 1980. Then she worked for the Science and Technology Center in Kumasi. During the eighties, she lived and worked for some time in Germany. She has since returned to Accra.

(from Wikipedia)