Start by marking “Beyond the Horizon” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Horizon

Beyond the Horizon

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  121 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
A first novel by a Ghanaian woman who spent some time in Germany. It provides an account of the exploitation of women in Africa and Europe, and tells of an immigrant who, having travelled to Germany to find a paradise, finds she has been betrayed by her husband and is forced into prostitution.
Published February 8th 1995 by Heinemann Educational Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Horizon, please sign up.

Darkowaa
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
!!! http://africanbookaddict.com/2015/04/...
Ohhh what a tragic book this is! Amma Darko does NOT get enough shine for this novel and her writing in general. This book is heart-wrenching.

I'm glad I read this though. Mara frustrated me deeply for 3/4th of the book. She had no sense of her worth and her fate was determined by her husband, Akobi who did not love her. Akobi is a dog, coward and a self-absorbed man who basically used Mara for everything that she was. I waited so long for Mara to reta
Nermeen Mohamed
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is brutally honest. A very downright portrayal of sex trafficking, and the sex industry in Europe.
I had a hard time understanding the lead character "Mara". I could not comprehend her actions, her feelings, the absolute surrender and submission to her atrocious husband throughout the novel. Even at the end of the novel, when she finally claims her agency and leaves her husband and cause his imprisonment. She still surrenders to being used in the sex industry...She believes she does no
Christian Asante
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this short but intriguing novel by Amma Darko.It tells the story of Mara, who is forced into marriage with the senseless Akobi who manages to send Mara to Germany where he forces her into prostitution and keeps all the money.This story story showcases what women in some circles go through as a result of culture, lack of education and society that puts them in a box
Leyna Lavinthal
Jul 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
This book is too short! It is a beautiful written account of a woman from Ghana and the shocking struggles she faces when she moves to the UK. A great author that most have never heard of. The African Writers Series is pretty amazing in general- all the books I have gotten my hands on have been completely captivating.
Julie Suzanne
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Of all the novels from the African Writer Series that I have read for my black studies course at UCSB, this was the best. This powerful story about shame, secrecy, abuse, trust, vulnerability and cultural naivete reveals much about the world about which that you probably never knew. A very worthwhile read!
Jerome Kuseh
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: african
Amma Darko's masterpiece. This short and gripping tale explores themes of patriarchy but differs from the works of most feminist African writers by showing a character who braves patriarchy but is ultimately defeated by the deceit of a man who does not love her.
roni
Apr 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: west-africa
heart wrenching.
Sara
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, to-re-read
Great book, an universal human condition, immigration, womanhood, loss of innocence ... highly recommended
Betty-ann Ananeh-frempong
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was an eye opener about the struggles of women in foreign countries. It showed that anyone can be a victim of human trafficking.
Maria
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Two words:Amazingly tragic.
Ken
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Abena Boaten
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was a good read, sad story with an anticlimactic ending in my opinion. I did enjoy the voice of Mara throughout the book and sad at the way it ended. The build up to the ending was great but the ending itself was lacking somewhat. I would recommend it, it kept me interested and wanting to continue reading from the first page.
James M
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
gripping
Christina
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
By far the most haunting and influential book I have ever read.
Corvinus Maximilus
Aug 20, 2012
Aleata Hubbard
Jun 04, 2012
Theophilus Nwachukwu
rated it did not like it
Mar 07, 2017
  • Houseboy
  • Little Boys Come from the Stars
  • Segu (Ségou, #1)
  • Erotique Noire/Black Erotica
Amma Darko (born 1956) is an African novelist.

She was born in Koforidua, Ghana, and grew up in Accra. She studied in Kumasi, where she received her diploma in 1980. Then she worked for the Science and Technology Center in Kumasi. During the eighties, she lived and worked for some time in Germany. She has since returned to Accra.

(from Wikipedia)