Start by marking “My Pride and Joy: An Autobiography” as Want to Read:
My Pride and Joy: An Autobiography

My Pride and Joy: An Autobiography

In "Born Free" Joy Adamson told the story of how she and her, husband George raised Elas from a cub then returned her to the Kenyan wild, and the world was amazed and charmed. Now George tells the rest of the story.
Published December 31st 1987 by Simon & Schuster (first published September 22nd 1986)

To ask other readers questions about My Pride and Joy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Pride and Joy

Kristy Pitchford
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love George Adamson and have read all his books and watched the documentaries. His story made a life changing decision for me....to become a wildlife Vet and conservationist. His work is admired and inspiring. I can't recommend this book enough...all of them by him. It's a shame how he dies, but he did so a happily-accomplished man that took pride in his work, which still lives on. I know for sure he impacted my heart and my life. I love the dedication he gave, all the way to the ve ...more
Meli
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book by George Adamson describing his lifes story. From being born in India, schooled In England and moving to Kenya with his brother and of course meeting Joy. His descriptions off his life at Kora is beautiful and I get the impression he was a really lovely and genuine man
Darren
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A Great book by a great man
Linn Marie
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
A fascinating and touching tale about a man and his lions.
Skigirl
Oct 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Tells of his life as well as the stories of Born Free (as it happened as well as the making of the movie) and Christian the lion. Also some great safari tales.
Sharonh
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Covering 80 years of George Adamson's life - his 2nd autobiography. Well worth the read!!
Meredith
I actually preferred this significantly over the three books by Joy Adamson which I've read, Born Free, Living Free and Forever Free. George takes a more expansive view of the situation and explains a lot of the things that are left without explanation in Joy's books.

After all three of Joy's books I felt that I hadn't really connected with her as a writer or person at all. I found this frustrating as there was clearly a good story there and an amazing experience, but it all seemed so childishly
Darko Bertone
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the most exciting and inspiring book I have ever read. I read it first time when I was 13. It has past 37 years from then, and I still find it overwhelmingly exciting. Excellent book.
Joe Rodeck
Aug 12, 2016 rated it liked it
George Adamson might have taken a back seat to the famous, Woman-Who-Lives-With-Lions, Joy Adamson. It's mostly all about George.

The good: Well-illustrated, incl sections of color plates. Lots of interesting passages about different animals in Kenya: rhinos, hippos, leopards, cheetahs.

Tough realism. He doesn't slip into romanticism or sentimentality. Excellent on the rough sides of living in Africa.

The bad: The story is more or less over after the filming of "Born Free," but there's still half a
Valerie
This is a terrible pun, of course, since George Adamson was the widower of Joy Adamson. You'd think he, of all people, would recognize that he was TEACHING lions to live in the wild; after all, if Elsa had had any 'instincts' for hunting, the story wouldn't've happened at all, since Elsa wouldn't've walked upwind of a family of elephants.

I'm not sure if all editions of this book were published posthumously. The edition I read ended with an account of George Adamson's death, and it's worth readin
Suanne
Apr 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: safari, memoir
Bwana Game is George Adamson's memoir of his early life with Elsa and Joy Adamson. Could have been better edited. His second book, My Pride and Joy, is quite repetitive of incidents in Bwana Game, but better written. He is quite gentlemanly regarding the collapse of his marriage to Joy Adams.
Darla
Oct 25, 2008 marked it as to-read
I really want to read this book, but it has been a tad elusive to find.
Beth
May 10, 2009
Susan
Jan 19, 2017
Lindsay Frahn
rated it did not like it
Feb 17, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Spotted Sphinx
  • Wildlife Wars: My Fight to Save Africa's Natural Treasures
  • Born Wild: The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Passion for Africa
  • How to Walk a Puma: And Other Things I Learned While Stumbling through South America
  • The Eye of the Elephant: An Epic Adventure in the African Wilderness
  • Secrets of the Savanna: Twenty-three Years in the African Wilderness Unraveling the Mysteries of Elephants and People
  • While You're Here, Doc: Farmyard Adventures of a Maine Veterinarian
  • Elephants on the Edge: What Animals Teach Us about Humanity
  • No Dogs in Heaven?: Scenes from the Life of a Country Veterinarian
  • Among the Elephants
  • The Elephant's Secret Sense: The Hidden Life of the Wild Herds of Africa
  • The Man Who Talks to Dogs: The Story of Randy Grim and His Fight to Save America's Abandoned Dogs
  • The Wilderness Family: At Home with Africa's Wildlife
  • Onmacht
  • De stille zonde (Paul Vegter #1)
  • Soul of a Lion: One Woman's Quest to Rescue Africa's Wildlife Refugees
  • The Cat Who Cried for Help: Attitudes, Emotions, and the Psychology of Cats
  • Dogs: A Startling New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior  Evolution
George Adamson, the "Baba ya Simba" ("Father of Lions") of Africa, was one of the founding fathers of wildlife conservation and an author. He and his wife Joy Adamson are best known through the book and film Born Free, which is based on the true story of Elsa, an orphaned lioness cub they raised and later released into the wild.

Adamson first visited Kenya in 1924. After a series of adventures, whi