Start by marking “Gods Above (Star Trek: New Frontier, #13)” as Want to Read:
Gods Above (Star Trek: New Frontier, #13)

Gods Above (Star Trek: New Frontier #13)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  587 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Captain Mackenzie Calhoun has often been accused of playing God, but he has never faced off against real gods – until now. As Captain Kirk did before him, Calhoun has encountered beings of unnatural power and abilities verging on godhood, and who claim to be the very individuals who inspired the Greek, Roman, Norse, and, other pantheons from Earth culture.

These beings say
Mass Market Paperback, 330 pages
Published October 1st 2003 by Pocket Books (first published September 5th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Gods Above, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gods Above

Jerry
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I haven't read the other books in this series, but this was an enjoyable space opera novel nonetheless, even if the characters were unfamiliar to me.
Daniel Smithwick
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek
Again, with each one of these that I read I want to know these characters on a deeper level and I find more humorous episodes, more puns, more improbable escapades. I'm not going to spoil it for you but if you've read "Being Human" you have to read "Gods Above." It seems like it would be hard to jump right into the New Frontier series without reading the first twelve books (and some side adventures).
This is one of those books that leaves me satisfied (really deeply), but also wanting immediat
Nathan Burgoine
May 28, 2015 rated it liked it
The latest installment in Peter David's "New Frontier" series got a little out of hand in its plot, but was ultimately enjoyable.

When we last saw the crew (or, I should say, 'crews,' since Shelby's crew on the Trident is now just as much a part of the plot as Calhoun's on the Excalibur), they were getting beaten to a pulp by the ancient gods of historical earth, and we'd learned that Mark McHenry had, in his ancestry, one of those gods - Apollo. In the episode of the original series with Apollo
David Palazzolo
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Reinhold
Die EXCALIBUR mit Cpt. Calhoun und die TRIDENT mit seiner Frau Elizabeth Shelby als Captain, bekommen es mit den "Wesen" zu tun, mit denen sich schon Kirk & Co herumgeschlagen hat. Im letzten Band hat Artemis, eine der "Göttinen" der Wesen, einen verheerenden Angriff auf die EXCALIBUR angerichtet und mehrere Besatzungsmitglieder getötet, Calhoun schäumt vor Wut und sinnt auf Rache.
Währendessen haben sich die "Götter" auf Danter niedergelassen und haben ein Abkommen mit den Danteri geschlosse
Sean Randall
May 02, 2009 rated it liked it
" 'Impart the godhead.' That would be a euphemism for 'have sex with,' am I correct?"

The risque humour, not to mention a rather disconcerting pantheon of gods, continue to sit at the centre of this rather humdrum addition to the new Frontier series.
"I've walked some death myself, 'god,' " shot back Calhoun, "and it might be wise for little gods to stay the hell out of my way."
Calhoun is his typical brash self, and the rest of the characters fall neatly into their holes with neither fuss nor foib
Jose
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
PAD, still writes enjoyable ST like we're viewing a new episode. He's very easy to read and enjoy, a true entertainer. This time we continue from the cliffhanger of the last book where some members where killed and the USS Excalibur suffered massive defeat at the ends of "gods". And now the conclusion...
---
Just finished!
Like I said, an easy read, the story keeps advancing at good pace and the characters are believable and respectful of their roots, motivations and the Star Trek universe.
Another
***Dave Hill
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Star Trek novel readers; Peter David readers; Star Trek New Frontiers readers; series completionists
Shelves: text
Wrapping up the storyline begun in Being Human, this is a very solid read. It pulls in some underused cast members, makes significant changes on others, and leads to the end of the tale for yet one more. And it's all done in an extended Star Trek setting that makes canon-like sense. Good stuff -- not for the first-time reader, by any means, but some decent payoff for those who've been following the series along.
Dan Foster
Jan 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Peter David writes a very particular kind of Star Trek, especially when writing "New Frontier" books. If you like the earlier ones, you should find this one pretty entertaining. David continues too bring a TOS feel of larger than life events--Gods in this case--unabashedly into the 24th Century. The sense of adventure is high and the dialogue is as snappy as any previous book. If you think Trek needs to be a little more somber, this one may not be for you.
Voula
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! I liked the way it tied into an old classic Trek episode and added more back story and an additional encounter with the same race of beings. Again, really love Star Trek and really liked this book! Love the Mackenzie Calhoun character, his wife, Elizabeth Shelby and the playful interactions between them. Yippee! I'll be looking for more books in this series to read!
Shannon Appelcline
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not nearly as strong as its predecessor, mainly because the first half of the book spins its wheels at length.
Frank Gonzalez
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
_
Loki
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
A lot more satisfying than its predecessor, tying up the major plots quite well... and then abruptly ending on a cliffhanger as one of the subplots suddenly takes centre stage. Fun.
Kerry
Jan 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Conclusion to the one I was reading last week. Decent wrap up with some funny bits and good mythological nods.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
Great follow-up to "Being Human." Everything I said there applies here as well. I am continuing to devour these in an attempt to catch up to the most recent installment.
Anna
Paul Nied
Feb 07, 2012
Jim Mcpherson
Oct 08, 2014
  • Avatar Book Two (Star Trek Deep Space Nine)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • Vectors (Star Trek: Double Helix #2)
  • Rogue (Star Trek: Section 31, #2)
  • Doors Into Chaos (Star Trek: Gateways, #3)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • No Man's Land (Star Trek: Voyager: Gateways, #5)
  • Chainmail (Star Trek: Challenger: Gateways, #2)
  • A Time to Sow (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny: Book One (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Lives of Dax
  • Orion's Hounds (Star Trek: Titan, #3)
  • A Time to Be Born (Star Trek TNG: A Time to #1)
  • Starfleet Year One (Star Trek)
  • Resistance (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to hum
More about Peter David...

Star Trek: New Frontier (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • House of Cards (Star Trek: New Frontier, #1)
  • Into the Void (Star Trek: New Frontier, #2)
  • The Two Front War (Star Trek: New Frontier, #3)
  • End Game (Star Trek: New Frontier, #4)
  • Martyr (Star Trek: New Frontier, #5)
  • Fire on High (Star Trek: New Frontier, #6)
  • The Quiet Place (Star Trek: New Frontier, #7)
  • Dark Allies (Star Trek: New Frontier, #8)
  • Requiem (Star Trek: New Frontier, #9)
  • Renaissance (Star Trek: New Frontier, #10)