Start by marking “Fire City” as Want to Read:
Fire City

Fire City

Twenty-five years ago the world changed forever. A great war, which had raged for three years ended, and the reign of the Demons began...

Within the crumbling walls of Fire City, fifteen-year-old Martha is a member of the resistance, a small band of humans fighting for freedom in a lawless and horrifying new world. Amidst the chaos of battle arrives Jonah, a handsome strang
Published August 30th 2012 by Corgi

Adriel
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen-books
My first Bali Rai read, received as a proof. An interesting read set in an England (presumably whole world) that has been taken over by demons. It has a slow start, but gets better as it goes along. Some ideas are a bit vague or not believable, but Rai has set up a fascinating world.
Kari
Jan 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens-teen
Well that was all kinds of disappointing and terrible. It was sexist, obsessed with race and a tad racist in the obsession and completely the last book I would give to a teen (or anyone for that matter). Every single man in this leers at a woman at some point - good guys, bad guys it just doesn't matter, each one objectifies a woman at least once. It ranges from commenting on a chest, suggestive remarks and thinking about taking them to bed to a guy who would have a restraining order against hi ...more
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This review was originally posted on my blog on 18th September, here

The Demons Arrive
As soon as I heard about Fire City, I was instantly intrigued and simply had to get my hands on a copy. I am so glad that this intrigued ended up with me reading a great book that I would easily recommend to others. It was the first Bali Rai book that I have ever read so that fact that it is his first dystopian did not phase me. It was so easy to read and the style made me know why so many others have loved his
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
I have a deep affection for his work.
I'll admit, I'm a little anxious with him heading into Dystopian territory.
Plus, it has a guy named JONAH.
Instant WIN (!!)
Please blow me away :)

Update: just not doing it for me right now. after a 100 pages or so have decided to give something else a go :/. might come back to this later.

-----------------

honestly, i don't think i have ever tried so hard to get through a book.
very fucking annoying.
Owen
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bali Rai writes yet another wonderful, thought-provokibg book of astonishing imagination. In a world were demons rule there is a small resistance in Fire City a working area fir the Unwanted (people who are not rich and live in poverty). An unlikley member of this resistance is a 15 year old girl named Martha a girl who works at a bar and is the step daughter of the Mayor. When a hlf demon half human boy comes along tgings change. Forever........
Stephanie
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Whilst clearly aimed at a teenager audience (the hero and heroine are about sixteen years old), this post-apocalyptic fantasy is gritty enough for adults too. The author is uncompromising in his depictions of the brutality of life after the demons arrive. The violence isn't gratuitous, but there is quite a bit of it; characters die with some regularity. It is an unflinching look at the struggle for survival when humans are no longer at the top of the food chain.
Ettie Kirkpatrick-Tice
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dysotopian
This is NOT the Hunger Games. Not at all. For a start, it's fantasy. It's just one book. But it is still as good, if not better. It's different, more post-apocolyptic than dysotopian, considering the cause of the world downfall is demons.

Perfect for anyone who wants something else to read other than The Hunger Games or Divergent.
Joe Birch
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great book, I read this and the graphic novel version, which was pretty cool. But this was my first Bali Rai read. An interesting read set in an England (presumably whole world) that has been taken over by demons. It has a slow start, but gets better as it goes along. Some ideas are a bit vague or not believable, but Rai has set up a fascinating world.
Rebecca
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! Thoroughly enjoyed it and it has a great plot, wonderful characters and really gets you pulled into the story line.

Really enjoyed it for a future novel where humans and demons had joined together to rule the world with a few humans offering resistance against them all.

Enjoyed it so much
Martha Bowsher
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: love
He comes into our school and this was the first book by him I have ever read and so Farr its amazing and I'll definitely read more of his books. I can't wait to read more of his books and The more I read this one the more I want to read it!
Ronette
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very good "post apocalyptic-ish", dystopian type of story It would be very nice if this book would have a sequel though. I want to know what happens to Martha and Jonah!
Purple Oriel
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Too gruesome to continue even though I got 3/4 of the way through. It is a shame as I liked the characters but there was too much human flesh being picked out of teeth for my liking
Nobody
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was a fantastic book with a great story I recommend it for young teenagers

Bianca
May 12, 2012
Matt
Jul 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Bali Rai was born in 1971 and grew up in Leicester. As a child, Bali wanted to be a footballer or to write stories. Always an avid reader, he hails Sue Townsend, Douglas Adams and Robert Swindells as his writing heroes. Bali grew up reading Dr Seuss and Meg and Mog and his first book purchase was The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. He realised he wasn't good enough to play for Liverpool F.C. and ...more