Start by marking “Olivia Goes to Venice” as Want to Read:
Olivia Goes to Venice

Olivia Goes to Venice

(Olivia #6)

In her first brand new adventure in three years, Olivia takes her discerning eye for style to beautiful Venice on a family vacation that involves dodging pigeons in the Piazza San Marco, gorging on gelato, and barely staying afloat in a gondola.
Published September 28th 2010 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published June 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Olivia Goes to Venice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Olivia Goes to Venice

karen
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing

look at all of my olivias!! the one in the middle who looks all dirty actually is very dirty, because she is supposed to be wearing red footie pajamas, but they keep falling off because she is a little nudist.
bad olivia!

anyway, look at that signature!!awesome ariel lied to ian falconer and told him i was a five-year-old girl (which makes me feel better because no girl my age should have this many stuffed olivias, and we haven't even photographed the olivia music box, the olivia alarm clock, the
Tova
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After reading this I think I need some gelato. RTC.
Kaethe Douglas
8 March, 2013

Saturday we went back-to-school shopping which meant clothes, new lunch bags, and a visit to a bookstore. My beloved MIL was with us, and as we walked by a display of picture books she said something about missing that, now that the girls are so grown up. "I bring home picture books every time I go to the library" I said, "I read aloud to Tash just yesterday."

This is what I read aloud.

We both really liked the joke about Olivia and the TSA. We sighed over the pictures, we liked the
Kathryn
Oct 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love the concept here! Olivia travels to Venice with her family and sees all sorts of famous sights--Falconer uses collage style to put illustrations of Olivia et al at actual photographs or famous illustrations of places like Piazza San Marco and Bridge of Sighs. So cool! And he doesn't sacrifice one ounce of Olivia's personality in the process of bringing Venice to the palm of our hands. Brilliant! Now, I must say I was not especially happy with the way Olivia left Venice and I wish there ha ...more
Abigail
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: (With Caveat) Olivia Fans
Irrepressible porcine wonder Olivia returns in this, the sixth picture-book chronicling her madcap adventures. Setting off with her family for a vacation in Venice, Olivia has to be forced to leave her snorkel and flippers behind - the city is sometimes underwater, she tells her mother - enjoys being searched by security at the airport, and sets a frenetic pace once in the city of their destination. From eating lots of gelato to riding a gondola, Olivia and family do lots of typical Venetian thi ...more
Jane G Meyer
Jun 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Okay, Falconer's illustrations are absolutely mesmerizing. They are fantastic, delicious, wonderful. But... I really don't like these Olivia books. She's sarcastic, which doesn't ring well with little ones, and she's naughty. I hated that in this book, Olivia pulled a brick out of the bell tower, and her parents didn't stay to face the consequences of a tumbling monument, but instead fled. Okay, I know this is just a story, but I can't stand it when the parents don't stand up for what is right. ...more
Mary Train
Dec 27, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a poor attempt at making Italian culture accessible to children. Although the images of Venice are eye-catching, making the illustrations creative, the story is truly horrible, in my opinion. When I read this story to my kindergarten class, their blank faces and confused interpretations of the story were all that was needed for me to lose complete respect for this book. This book is a perfect example of how publishers can exploit popular characters to make some money.
Sunday Cummins
Mar 20, 2011 rated it liked it
fun read aloud with pictures of Venice; missed opportunity - a glossary with information about each of the pictures; story-line a bit weak - the problem is she needs a souvenir? and she never eats the pizza....

Gina
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this more, because I love Venice. It was also my first Olivia book so there were things that were jarring for me that may be typical. The really pale drawings over color photos and the humor being kind of mean and destructive was the jarring part. The frequent gelato stops were realistic, and the page with the pigeon's was vivid, if not as much of a reality now.
Jim
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I get such a kick from the Olivia stories. I wonder if she likes barbecued pork sandwiches?
Sammantha
May 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-books
This was not a winner for my daughter or myself. I decided to read this to my daughter thinking it would be a good read. It was totally the opposite. The whole time I was reading the book to my daughter she just had a blank look on her face. She had no interest in the story at all. The illustrations in the book were really nice. But for me the whole storyline just didn't make a good story. Most of the beginning of the story was just the family eating gelato. The ending of the story was terrible. ...more
Gail Cooke
Nov 08, 2010 rated it really liked it

While it's always difficult to resist that perky little porker, Olivia, it's impossible now that she's visiting one of the most beautiful cities in the world - Venice. Yes, sporting a gondolier's hat with its ribbons flying she's about to take that storied spot by storm. (almost literally).

As most know by now Ian Falconer has created one of the most appealing children's book characters to be found. Olivia,along with her brother, Ian, and their mother and father have shared many adventures – fr
Ladiibbug
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Olivia the Piglet children's book

Exuberant Olivia is packing her snorkel, flippers and water skis for the family trip to Venice, Italy for spring vacation. Her mother informs Olivia those items won't be needed. We go to Venice with the family, and witness Olivia's first airport search, which pleases her greatly.

I enjoyed the armchair tour of Venice's famous landmarks and canals. The author did a wonderful job of including information and pictures of these to teach children about them in an Olivi
Kristl
Apr 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Okay, I'm a glutton for punishment. I find Olivia immensely irritating, so it took me a while to get to this book. I love Venice, so the rationale was, they'd even out. Well, they did! I was actually finding the story quite charming as Olivia's family journeyed through the narrow streets and grand spaces of Venice but then Olivia does something I don't find to be funny, but rather, kind of appalling. I don't even think I'll read this to my son because he can't think that what she (and subsequent ...more
Kristin Fletcher-spear
Nov 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
I did not like many things about this book. I love Olivia and I liked the usage of photography. I didn't like the destruction at the end and the parents' reaction to it. When it came to the souvenir that she was selecting I thought Falconer missed things to showcase about Venice (and come on, Olivia would have loved to have a mask!)
Seon Kim
Jun 25, 2015 added it
Shelves: animals, world
The characters of the book are adorable. The book can teach readers new things about Venice. It can definitely can help children explore the different country that they have never been too. If the children have been to Venice, they can still make connection with the story.
Kathy
Oct 06, 2010 added it
Shelves: children
This reminded me of our trip to Italy. Fun!
Hailey Ek
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is an adorable book about a pig who goes to Venice for her spring break. The Olivia books are some of my very favorite, and I used to read them to my sister all the time!
With this book I would incorporate other books that show case other countries like this book does, and talk about the different settings and pictures in the books. If would be fun with a young age group of students to teach them about how other areas of the world look different from ours.
Anthony
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Olivia and her family spend their Spring vacation in Venice, and it will never be the same after our high-energy heroine Olivia leaves her footprint. The family visits all the interesting sights, and gorges themselves on gelato, and Olivia tries to find the perfect memento to take back home to remember her visit.
Rachel
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Modern fantasy
K-2nd grade
The Olivia books are always fun to read! Olivia gets to go to Venice, Italy with her family and she describes her time there. This is a cute, fun book that I think younger students will enjoy! I also liked how the illustrator used actual pictures of Venice, Italy.
Carly Lewis
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elementary-books
Fun pictures, informational
Ben
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This just makes me want to go back to Venice. Such a fun book.
Rachel Gonzaloz De Reta
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-baby-s-books
Nos encanto a mi bb y a mi. Un lugar hermoso descrito en un libro para pequeñitos.
Donna Mork
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute. Olivia visits Venice and sees beautiful buildings and canals. And eats a lot of gelato. She also learns a good lesson about taking things as souvenirs.
Megan Miras
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My daughter's absolute favorite! Inspired her third birthday party!
Sherry
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really love the combination of the hand drawn illustrations with actual pictures from Venice.
Em
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: baby
My toddlers love the Olivia books. We like the layer of adult humor sprinkled in that makes the endless re-reading more bearable. This is my husband’s favorite in the series so far.
Kelly
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another fun (and very destructive) adventure with Olivia.
I have wanderlust now....
Shiloah
Cute. Gotta love the precocious Olivia.
Rani
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
When #Olivia the #pig travels to #Venice she stays afloat on #gelato. #YoungReaders #PictureBook #BookReview #ChildrensBooks #amreading
  • A Bedtime for Bear
  • Kindergarten Diary
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten?
  • Little Black Crow
  • Eloise Takes a Bawth
  • Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet
  • The Chicken Thief
  • Sneaky Sheep
Ian Falconer is the author and illustrator of all the titles in the bestselling Olivia series: Olivia, Olivia Saves the Circus,Olivia...and the Missing Toy, and Olivia Forms a Band. His illustrations have also graced many covers of the New Yorker. In addition, he has designed sets and costumes for the New York City Ballet, the San Francisco Opera, and the Royal Opera House (Covent Garden), among o ...more

Olivia (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Olivia