Start by marking “Ciaphas Cain: Defender of the Imperium” as Want to Read:
Ciaphas Cain: Defender of the Imperium

Ciaphas Cain: Defender of the Imperium (Ciaphas Cain #4-6)

4.4  ·  Rating details ·  1,006 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The legendary Commissar Ciaphas Cain, lauded as one of the great heroes of the Imperium, finds himself thrust onto the battlefield again. Cain wants nothing more than to keep out of trouble and get to the other side of his commission in one piece, but the war-torn 41st millennium has other ideas. Confronted with the powers of Chaos and hordes of alien foes, our intrepid Co ...more
Published December 9th 2010 by Games Workshop (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ciaphas Cain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ciaphas Cain

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥
It was a fun read. Cain is one of my fave characters ever and let's not forget Jurgen. It was also great to get another glimpse of the necrons who are my fave species in the WH 40K universe.
Ben
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved these books! Ciaphas Cain is a really likable, sympathetic character on top of being a complete and utter badass and Jurgen is a great side-kick. Every book is highly entertaining and fun, really fun. My one complaint is that the ending of the last book felt very quite rushed, but that didn't diminish it at all.

Tzurky
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Throughly enjoyable. Even better than the last compendium.
Mary Catelli
This is an omnibus of Death or Glory, Duty Calls, and Cain's Last Stand, with two additional short stories. The second omnibus. They feature an adventure early in his career, one in the middle of it, and one after he had left active duty for teaching at a schola in retirement. Though there is a thread pulling them together, it's not the main plot line.

Cain is himself throughout. Whatever you conclude him to be: a self-absorbed dirty coward with fantastical luck, good and bad, and an exceedingly
Jay Javier
I've almost given up on the 40K universe with its immensely purple prose and steroid-driven fatalism. More than a couple of novels I've tried have left me wanting to mount my own Waaaaaagh! in frustration with the thickly lathered on scifi angst but the Ciapahas Cain books reeled me back in. Quite happily too. The Cain books are smartly written, with our none too reliable narrator Ciaphas Cain appearing to be a cross between Harry Flashman and Blackadder but smack dab in the middle of the sci fi ...more
Richard
Nov 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
The Imperium is a fascist, oppressive, and despotic institution. And yet it is the least of all evils in the 40k universe, and is thus worthy of preservation! Enter Ciaphas Cain, fervent and unyielding defender of the Imperium (or so the holo-picts claim)!

Commissar Ciaphas Cain is among my favorite fictional characters. Roguish and cunning, he sorta reminds me of Cudgel from Jack Vance's "Eyes of the Overworld"/"Cudgel's Saga".

Unlike another past Cain omnibus ("Hero of the Imperium", which des
Ray Thompson
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like military science fiction, look this up. If you like Warhammer 40K novels, you definitely need to add this to your collection. This is the second omnibus in this series (and the first one I read, I forgot the first at home before leaving for vacation). It comprises three novels spanning Commisar Cain's career following a loose story arc. Also included are two short stories.

There is plenty of action, plenty of intrigue, and plenty of humor as the reader is hurtled along Sandy Mitchell'
Richard Tran
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another great entry in the Warhammer 40k universe and the Ciaphas Cain saga. This omnibus contains the fourth through sixth books of Ciaphas Cain. The stories tie in very nicely and shows how the actions of the first book continues to have consequences in the later ones. I think the best thing about this series is the amount of humor that Sandy Mitchell manages to interject. Ciaphas Cain is considered a Hero of the Imperium but believes mainly in saving his own neck and playing to the audience. ...more
Adam O'Grady
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book is another lighthearted romp through the Warhammer 40k universe like the previous omnibus (Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium) and if this is you introduction to the titular character then don't worry about not having read the former as each omnibus (and probably even each story) can work quite well in a self-contained fashion.

That said, it's also a lot more of the same. The story and characters become very predictable, which while not always unwanted from a fun and often light-hearted
Liam Cassidy
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: warhammer
The sequel to Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium, Defender of the Imperium collects the second set of three books in the series (along with some extra short stories) and further flesh out the adventures of the intrepid Commissar Ciaphas Cain. If you were a fan of the first omnibus then you are probably going to enjoy this book, though some readers may find the books too similar to be worth their time reading. For my part, I found the stories in the second omnibus to be entertaining and useful fo ...more
Stephan
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The second Ciaphas Cain Omnibus is at least as good as the last one. The difference between the last one and this is that the stories here a well connected in each other in a way that the earlier ones weren't.

It's the same recipe as earlier Cain stories: Cain stumbles in to trouble while trying his best to keep out of it just to be praised as an even greater hero. Rinse, repeat and laugh!
Peter
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This omnibus collects three novels and two short stories about Commissar Cain's (supposedly) heroic career. There's nothing really new here, but that's just fine. This collection is just as enjoyable as the first one.
Jordan
Jun 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This one took me a long time to read, which I did in segments starting more than a year ago. Honestly the first book was good and the latter two dragged, but I am still a big fan of Cain and will definitely pick up the next omnibus.
Lucy
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it
The first two books of this omnibus were better. The Cain stories are more enjoyable when he is with the Valhallans.
Nick
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love the Ciaphas Cain books, even if Sandy Mitchell does repeat a lot of the same words or ideas in the books. For example he seems to absolutely adore the word 'lugubrious'.
Gerry Del Frari
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sandy Mitchell has made sci-fi a better place with Ciaphas Cain. Everything you'd expect with a dirty hero!
Seth Smith
Jun 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Another good Cain omnibus, however, this one was rather too easy to put down, so it took m longer to read than it should have.
Ryan
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
A coward who inadvertently saves the day, and slowly becomes the hero he pretends to be. This just screams my kind of story, and it is very light hearted for a 40k book
Timothy Holland
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
good book but you have to read the pervious story with the shadow light before it.
Peter Smith
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My personal saviour is back and ready for conniving and out right shenanigans. Like everything else Mr Mitchell does this series of stories is quality through and through.
Andrew Coates
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If possible, actually better than the first volume. The perfect combination of humour, sci-fi and fantasy.
T.J. Land
  • Last Chancers
  • The Ultramarines Omnibus
  • Space Wolf: The Second Omnibus
  • Wrath of Iron
  • Grey Knights: The Omnibus (Grey Knights, #1-3)
  • Legion of the Damned
  • Emperor's Mercy
Sandy Mitchell is a pseudonym of Alex Stewart, who has been a full-time writer since the mid nineteen eighties. The majority of his work as Sandy has been tie-in fiction for Games Workshop's Warhammer fantasy and Warhammer 40,000 science fiction lines. The exceptions have been a novelisation of episodes from the high tech thriller series Bugs, for which he also worked as a scriptwriter under his o ...more
More about Sandy Mitchell

Ciaphas Cain (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • For The Emperor
  • Cain's Last Stand
  • The Emperor's Finest
  • The Last Ditch
  • The Greater Good
  • Ciaphas Cain Trilogy (Ciaphas Cain, #1-3)