Start by marking “Men and Dogs” as Want to Read:
Men and Dogs

Men and Dogs

When Hannah Legare was eleven, her father went on a fishing trip in Charleston Harbor and never came back. And while most of the town and her family accepted Buzz's disappearance, Hannah remained steadfastly convinced of his imminent return.

More then twenty years later, Hannah's new life in San Francisco is unraveling. Her marriage is on the rocks; her business is
Published April 12th 2010 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Men and Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Men and Dogs

Start your review of Men and Dogs
Lisa
Jul 01, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book was an utter disappointment. Although it was decently written, I found myself caring more for the supporting characters than the main character. The last chapter is what pissed me off.....she was such a wishy-washy character, which is not what you expect out of the end. There was no resolution, and the story ended the way it started, leaving the reader to believe that the main character learned nothing throughout the book. Blech...don't bother with this one!
Patricia
Jun 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
Bettie
Elizabeth  (Thoughts From an Evil Overlord)
Men and Dogs. What a great title for an interesting, sometimes hilarious, and always thought-provoking novel. Often I am given books to review where the title or the cover art don't make sense to me after reading the book, but Katie Crouch and the folks at Little Brown have hit the nail on the head with both on this one. The men in the heroine's life and her disparate relationships with each are the forefront of the story, and the beautiful photo of a young woman in a fishing boat with her back ...more
Allyson Langston
May 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
I think if I lived in or had any ties whatsoever to San Francisco or the Carolinas, I would probably have appreciated this novel more. Hannah, the protagonist, is 35 and a complete mess: alcoholic, adulterous, immature, and totally self-indulgent--lost and stuck in a teenage frame of mind. I kept trying to feel sorry for her, but at the end, just wanted to slap her upside the head and tell her to grow up. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood when I read it??? Her gay brother, Palmer, isn't much ...more
Jinky
Oct 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2010
Beautiful cover (hold on.. something mysterious, fearful is coming) that had me snatching the book! But that's about the best part of the book! The plot sounded intriguing... Hannah, girl at 11yo looses her dad (declared dead but no body), 24yrs later she still believes her dad's alive and seeks to find out the truth, and in-between she lead a messed up life. Hence, the rated PG13 language and content. She was wishy-washy protagonist and I think she was suppose to get it all together in the end ...more
Christina
Apr 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Jacquelyn
Aug 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
Sara
Jun 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
Blech. Don't bother...unless you like filth.
Gwendolyn
Jun 14, 2010 rated it did not like it
Bllaaah. Didn't like the main character. Nothing happened.
Louise
According to the author, this work of fiction was actually born out of a true story. Her great-grandfather went fishing in North Carolina in 1913 and never came back. There was no bad weather or anything, but all his family found was his little fishing boat floating in the river. He didnt seem depressed and wasnt an unreliable person in any way. He just disappeared.

Eleven-year-old Hannah Legare and her forty-one-year-old father, Buzz, are out fishing in her Dads flat-bottomed aluminum boat. Even
Joanne
Jul 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Men and Dogs was a pretty serious audiobook that brought us into the life of Hannah Legare when she basically hits rock bottom. Hannah was married and had a very successful on-line business but somehow managed to lose it all by never fully accepting her father's absence in her life.

After a life-threatening accident Hannah finds herself back home in Charleston being nursed back to health by her family that she hasn't seen in years. Upon arriving at her childhood home she starts to wonder once
Bridgit Morgan
Dec 24, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I don't know what was worse: the stilted writing, the protagonist cheating on her husband a million times and still being deemed a good person, the protagonist thinking her brother's homosexuality is a "flaw"... it was all shit.
Shelley Lee Riley
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was having lunch with a group of friends last week, and one of the ladies gave me a book shed discovered for a dollar. For only a dollar shed figured she couldnt go wrong, and when I took it out of her hand, my thought was; free, how could I go wrong?

The jacket verbiage informs the would-be reader that the story is about the heroine and her efforts to find out what really happened to her father, when he disappeared while on a fishing trip with the family dog, two decades earlier.

We are taken
Joy
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
I listened to the audiobook and I warmed to the voice but I didn't like Hannah. Get over it and move on with your life. When she takes the boat out with Palmer's dog to recreate the last cruise her father took it was time to lock her up and throw away the key. Grow up!

Lolly K Dandeneau
Apr 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Men and Dogs's main character Hannah has been reviewed by some women as being pathetic, selfish and unrealistic. I would say she's a little complicated and screwed up like a lot of people I know. I find this novel to be a story of stunted growth after the life altering mysterious death of a father. Self-sabatoge is nothing new and yes, even women can be unfaithful and have issues with intimacy. Someone noted that 'maybe if she grew up in Charleston she would 'get it' better. I don't see that as ...more
Shelly♥
Aug 24, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: year-2010
Suzanne Ross
Apr 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I opened the book with no expectations, never having heard of the author. After reading the first few pages I found myself wondering if this was a young adult selection. I kept going. I'm glad I did. The main character, Hannah, was instantly likeable. She had a self-effacing way about her that was laughable. She carried an internal dialogue, sometimes external, when talking to the furniture, that was quirky and insightful. All of the characters were crisp and real. I enjoyed watching her work ...more
Kathy Szydlo
Jul 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Jami
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a 3.5 star for me. I see that a lot of the reviewers didn't like the main character, which impacted their ratings. While she is flawed, that makes her real. Life isn't always about the incredibly beautiful woman who gets the man of her dreams and has incredible sex forever after. Hannah makes mistakes - lots of them- and continues to live her life the best she can. I liked the writing and I was engaged enough to care what happened to the characters.
Miriam
Nov 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those novels that draws you in from the beginning--there's a mysterious scene from the past to start it out and then it vaults you into the present--where things are troubled. The main character is really likeable in her totally messed up way and you really feel for her plight even though she is just making mistake after mistake. Put this one on your list for 2010 for sure.
Beth Kopine
Jun 20, 2010 rated it did not like it
I really didn't like this book. My first mistake was thinking it was by the same person who wrote "A Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing" - which I recall as a decent guilty pleasure. But this is not the same author. And it was just not a good read. But I finished it because it just makes the good books I read seem that much better.
Tk0339
Jul 12, 2010 rated it did not like it
like crouch's other book, i didn't like it. its about a girl who's father disappeared. never know if he died or just left. i waited for an answer, but never got one! in between was a bunch of silly storylines. not worth reading
Perkimom
Apr 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Certainly not what I expected from the title. Needed one more page.
Michelle
Read this to blurb...and was delighted! A reminder to Southerners-gone-astray of why we love the South, whey we left, and why we inevitably return...
Corrie
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Like many others, I found this book disappointing. It was humorous at times, but overall found the book lacking.
Michael
Apr 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
No wonder why this book looked so familiar. I read it before,found it forgettable..as with the second attempt.

NEXT!
Brownd2
Aug 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
quick easy read that is unfortunately not worth the effort
Brandi
I started listening to this book, but gave up not far in. I didn't find the main character sympathetic. It's just not my kind of book, so I ditched it.
T.S. Reiger
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommended to T.S. by: Krista Reiger Pittman

• The Divide
  • 'Til Death Do Us Part (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #3)
  • So Much a Part of You
  • En dag ska jag lämna allt det här
  • The Ha-Ha
  • Second Chance Season
  • Denali: A Man, a Dog, and the Friendship of a Lifetime
  • First Step Forward (Grand Valley, #1)
  • Thirteen Doorways, Wolves Behind Them All
  • The First Two Rules of Leadership: Don't be Stupid, Don't be a Jerk
  • I'm Your Biggest Fan: Awkward Encounters and Assorted Misadventures in Celebrity Journalism
  • A Rogue of My Own (Reid Family, #3)
  • The Wife's Tale
  • The League of Wives: The Untold Story of the Women Who Took on the U.S. Government to Bring Their Husbands Home
  • Days of the Endless Corvette: A Novel
  • Sunflowers From Sarrah
  • Happiness Sold Separately
  • Seven Loves
I write every single day, first by hand and and then typing on my battered Mac. I've been writing all my life, though I didn't really get going on books until I was 29. I had to get fired from a few jobs first.

I received my MFA from Columbia University, and have won fellowships to the MacDowell Colony and the Sewanee Writers Conference. My three year old also recently awarded me the Macaroni