Start by marking “Las brujas” as Want to Read:
Las brujas

Las brujas

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  234,389 Ratings  ·  5,199 Reviews
En las Brujas, un niño y su abuela se enfrentan a la terrible Asociación de Brujas de Inglaterra mientras estas, bajo la apariencia de mujeres corrientes, celebran su convención anual en un hotel.
Paperback, Juvenil, 200 pages
Published February 2006 by Alfaguara (first published October 27th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Las brujas, please sign up.

Akshat Roxx the existence of witches cannot be explained as they are mythical creatures, these are not yet proved by anyone but several sightings have been…morethe existence of witches cannot be explained as they are mythical creatures, these are not yet proved by anyone but several sightings have been made....it is for you to decide wheteher they exist as they are perfectly hidden in the society....they may be anywhere....they might be ur neighbour or EVEN A MEMBER OF THIS WEBSITE GOODREADS......who knows!!(less)

Wendy Darling
Re-read for our classics discussion Friday 10/30! Still had me giggling from the very first chapter.
Jessica
May 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Warning: Extremely Long Review and Childhood Storytelling

When I was ten or eleven, I was sitting in the playground at summer camp, minding my own business and reading this book, when one of the playground supervisers came and asked me what I was reading. When I showed it to him, his eyes got wide and he took the book from me. Then he went to the trash can and started ripping it up, page by page. And he washed his hands afterwards, "to get rid of the filth." It was a library book. He was just goi
Lola  Reviewer
The clever and courageous tale of a young boy and his spirited grandmother who fight witches together.
Mariah
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am currently trying to read all of Roald Dahl's books! When reading this book I realized that I definitely read this when I was in elementary school :) It brought back some memories. I loved this book and the creativity and that Roald does with this story line.
Michael
I was a very sheltered child.

Or was I a wuss? I was probably a wuss.

For instance, when I was a little tot, Sammy Terry scared the shit out of me. I remember being frightened by commercials of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, and the one time I inadvertently saw part of a Friday the 13th movie on TV? Fogettaboutit. Nightmares for weeks.

But that all came later.

But this book. Oh, this was traumatic shit.

I was in preschool, probably 4 years old, when the teacher decided to read us The Witche
Michael Finocchiaro
The story of the young unnamed narrator and his grandmother living between Norway and England and affronting the Great Witch and her minions was delightful and fun. It would not be in my Top 5 of Dahl though (I appreciated the two Charlie books, the BFG, the Magic Finger and James and the Giant Peach more.) I love reading them to my kids in any case and getting all excited on what crazy twists the stories will take.
James
Roald Dahl is in my top 3 of favorite children's authors. I had read a few of his books as a child, but most of my exposure occurred as a young adult and while in college.

The Witches was actually a book I read after the movie with Anjelica Huston was produced. I am a huge fan of her work, and when she appeared in this movie, I was fascinated with the story. I'd definitely recommend reading the book first as the movie takes the story so much further.

For one thing, the book has an unnamed narrator
Mariel
Nov 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dancers
Recommended to Mariel by: greedy kid me
I've noticed for years and years that critics love to say that Roald Dahl is "spinning in his grave" over some such filmic adaptation of his works. I'm a curious type person so I had to look up what the hell was in his grave, anyway. He was buried with pool cues, his typewriter and pencils (backup?). Guess he'd need to hustle his way past the pearly gates? I'm kidding! Don't dance on my grave. (Gosh, real critics are so harsh.) If he's spinning I guess there's plenty in there to make lots of rac ...more
Ammara Abid
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roald Dahl is one of the best and my favorite children's writer.
He's a master in depicting ordinary details in excellent manner.
Uptill now, I didn't find anything written by him which I don't love. ♡
Matt
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, children-s
What is a witch? After my last book, all about the Salem Witch Trials, I have a pretty good idea about what the Puritans thought. However, it would serve me well to allow Roald Dahl to present an answer to that for his childhood readers. According to Dahl, a witch has claw-like fingers (always gloved), remains bald (but wears a wig), and has squared feet (no toes and a horror when shopping for shoes!). But, the most important piece of knowledge about witches is that they DESPISE children more th ...more
sarafem
I would love to know why I am the only person on the planet who did not like this book. I tried to find some bad reviews on GoodReads, but the only one and two star reviews said things like "Bad no like mousey! dlksk djglsk diewqls!" I'm assuming they were in a foreign language and not written by a kid who could not type, but I was too lazy to click on the profiles. Maybe I should learn the language and go live there, where we can all unite in our hatred of this book.

It seems to me that 90% of t
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Witches, Roald Dahl
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: ماه فوریه سال 2001 میلادی
عنوان: جادوگرها؛ نویسنده: رولد دال؛ مترجم: شهلا طهماسبی؛ تهران، مرکز مریم؛ 1377، در 208 ص؛ چاپ سوم 1382؛
خلاصه ی داستان: قهرمان داستان یک پسر کوچکِ نروژی ست که در سن هفت سالگی پدر و مادرش را در یک سانحه ی رانندگی از دست داده. او به نروژ میرود و به همراه مادر بزرگ خویش زندگی میکند. مادربزرگ او زنی ست مسن که تجربه و دانسته های بسیاری از جادوگرها دارد، و در اوایل داستان تلاش میکند که با متقاعد کردن نوه اش مبنی بر این که جادوگرها و
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
The witches of England have a plan to do away with ALL English children. This little Norwegian orphan boy and his grandmamma come up with a plan to do away with all English witches instead. When they've accomplished that task, the little boy is noticeably altered in size and appearance. He doesn't mind, though. He sets off cheerfully with his grandmamma on a grand tour to rid the entire WORLD of those evil witchy creatures.

I've always known there were real witches in the world, because Mrs. Nai
Brian
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Readers in the Roald Dahl know come to his books with an understanding that PG-13 level violence and mayhem are a part of his charms. This fast moving tale doesn't let fans down; all of the recognizable Dahlian tropes are on display and we are rooting for the child all the way to the end.

I had the extra bonus of having this read to me by my daughter. She's at the stage now where she tries on different accents for each character; her English accent was adorable. So, five stars for the book, five
Brendon Schrodinger
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Witches are out there. You're lucky you're reading this now. It means that a witch never got you as a child or you escaped from their clutches.

Witches are demons and have the following features: they wear wigs, they have squared-off feet with no toes and they smell faintly like old urinal. They have an insatiable need to kill, maim and turn children into animals. They can't stand children because to them they smell like dog poo.

And they love meetings. And they love forming a club.

I swear I have
notgettingenough

The trouble with this movie, is that we are supposed to cheer for the wrong side. The premise, for those who haven’t read or seen it, is that the witches have a practically foolproof plan to turn all the children of the UK into mice.

I mean, what’s not to like?

You may say I shouldn’t have been watching this movie with a cat. It’s true, the cat and I have never been more on the same wave length. As I sat there biting my nails and screaming at those witches ‘not the soup, please don’t eat the cre
Carol Rodríguez
De pequeña vi la película un millón de veces, la tenía en cinta VHS original, ni siquiera grabada de la tele. Me acuerdo bastante de ella y tengo algunos fotogramas grabadísimos a fuego en la memoria y me sorprende mucho no haber leído el libro antes, pero para todo hay un momento.

He disfrutado muchísimo la lectura, creo que tiene un humor muy particular. La abuela y el niño son encantadores, la descripción de las brujas insuperable.

Es un libro fascinante que pueden disfrutar los adultos al 10
Roya
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quite-good
The Witches and I go way back. We had a stack of Dahl's books and I always wondered what it was about. Then one day in art class, the teacher read a passage from the book describing the Grand High Witch which we were then supposed to draw. It was a fun class for the most part. After drawing the Grand High Witch, I became so curious that I had to read the book. The first read was magical. It's probably the only frightening book that I've been able to read and enjoy. I've read nearly all of Dahl's ...more
Manny
Headlands Hotel

For people who don't already know: the hotel used in the movie actually exists. It's The Headlands Hotel, Newquay, England, and I've eaten there several times.

The staff are friendly and well aware of the relevant history. If you ask, they'll show you the room where the witches had their big meeting and the spot where the baby carriage nearly gets pushed off the cliff. The food is good, and you get a fantastic view over the bay, where people surf in summer. Recommended!
juan carlos
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¿Para que leer las brujas?

1. Te muestra a esos villanos malvados sin corazón y a su vez divertidos. Además que la radiografía de la bruja es muy bien establecido.
2. La narrativa es adictiva y atrapante que jamás cae, sube sube hasta llegar a un buen desenlace.
3. El apoderamiento de la trama y el lector es único, ya que los protagonistas no tienen nombre así que puedes tú vivir la trama.
4. El final es muy diferente al de la película
5. El mensaje que te da la novela es hermoso: No importa el físic
Lily
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Siempre es una delicia leer algo de Dahl. Me encantaría leer una segunda parte de Las brujas T.T
Irena
Feb 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5
Review to come later today.
Kimberly Sabatini
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg-ya
I'll be honest. My boys and I LOVE Roald Dahl books. All of them. Rather than review this book in my predictably gushy manner, I thought I would tell you a funny story that happened during our nightly reading sessions...

For those unfamiliar with the story, a grandmother is instructing her grandson on the multiple ways one might recognize a witch in disguise. While giving this info to my eight year old, he checked me over to confirm that I was indeed, not a witch. When he heard they wore itchy wi
Jules
This week I've had great fun terrifying my six year old niece, Daisy by reading The Witches to her. She has gasped in horror, hidden behind a cushion, checked my fingernails, toes, eyes, nostrils and tried to pull my hair out. Although, she's reasonably confident I'm not a witch because we're family so I would have told her if I was, apparently. According to Daisy I do a great voice for The Grand High Witch (good to know, lol). I couldn't keep a straight face when she asked me to check on the in ...more
Ms. Vigilante
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Such a good book! Anyone can read this fun loving tale about witches, real witches! I really enjoy this book because it is entertaining. It follows the path of a boy who sets out to take out all the witches in the world. I like the bond the boy and his Grandmamma have! This is just a fun fantasy tale, it is especially great to read before Halloween. If you are a Roald Dahl fan, this book is for you!
Marnie  Krüger
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, books-i-own, kids
description

Roald Dahl is a magnificent author that can bring anything to life.
As a child I loved these books, as an adult my view has not much changed.

Ilaria
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
non importa chi sei o che aspetto hai. Basta che qualcuno ti ami.
Stacey (prettybooks)
This is a short blogpost taken from Thoughts on Roald Dahl: The BFG, The Witches & Fantastic Mr. Fox.

The Witches was chosen as part of this year's Halloween Reads and it was a perfect children's book for October! It was everything I hoped it would be from the very first page. Again, it made me think how spot on the adaptations are – they capture the tone of each book perfectly. The Witches is morbidly funny, terrifying and brilliantly inventive, and it'll make any child wonder whether witche
Trish
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know the story of Matilda but only from the film adaptation so The Witches was my first book by Roald Dahl. The story seemed oddly familiar and I think I might have read it when I was younger (in school perhaps?) or may have seen the movie (I googled, there is one with Anjelica Houston as The Grand High Witch) but I can't remember.

Anyway, the story was quite good. A little creepy, a little weird, a little funny, a little adventurous - the perfect mix.
I've heard people say that this was too sca
mohsen pourramezani
پسر نوجوانی همراه پدر و مادرش به نروژ میرود تا مادربزرگش را ببیند. پدر و مادرش بر اثر یک حادثه رانندگی فوت میکنند و مادربزرگش سرپرستی پسرک را به عهده میگیرد. مادربزرگ برای پسرک داستانهایی از جادوگرها تعریف میکند و نشانههایی میدهد که چگونه میشود یک جادوگر واقعی را شناخت. زمانِ باز شدن مدرسهها میرسد و بر اساس وصیت والدین، آنها مجبورند به انگلستان برگردند. یک روز پسرک به طور اتفاقی جادوگرها را از نزدیک میبیند و درگیر ماجراهایی میشود...
داستان روان و جذابی داشت و خواندنش لذتبخش بود. هر چند پایانبندیا
Bustle Book Club ...: What are some of your favorite novels about witches? 15 147 Jul 12, 2017 08:09AM
Too scary for kids? 69 305 Jul 08, 2017 03:03PM
help please 2 7 Jun 05, 2017 10:44AM
Around the Year i...: [April] The Witches, by Roald Dahl - Part 3 [spoilers] 10 33 Apr 29, 2017 07:28PM
Around the Year i...: [April] The Witches, by Roald Dahl - Part 2 [spoilers] 12 33 Apr 29, 2017 07:23PM
about the book 3 14 Jan 31, 2017 04:59AM
  • Pluk van de Petteflet
  • Magic by the Lake (Tales of Magic, #3)
  • The Great Ghost Rescue
  • Geef me de ruimte! (Trilogie over de 100 jarige oorlog, #1)
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3)
  • The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2)
  • Bony-Legs
  • The Eleventh Hour
  • Geheimen van het Wilde Woud  (De brief voor de koning #2)
  • De katten van Kruisem
  • The Fairy Rebel
  • The House with a Clock in Its Walls (Lewis Barnavelt, #1)
  • The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3)
  • The Devil's Storybook
  • The Cut-Throat Celts

More about Roald Dahl...

“It doesn't matter who you are or what you look like, so long as somebody loves you.” 1519 likes
“She might even be your lovely school-teacher who is reading these words to you at this very moment. Look carefully at that teacher. Perhaps she is smiling at the absurdity of such a suggestion. Don't let that put you off. It could be part of cleverness.

I am not, of course, telling you for one second that your teacher actually is a witch. All I am saying is that she might be one. It is most unlikely. But--here comes the big "but"--not impossible.”
196 likes