Start by marking “The Dark Tide (The Adrien English Mysteries, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Tide (The Adrien English Mysteries, #5)

The Dark Tide (The Adrien English Mysteries #5)

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  5,562 Ratings  ·  536 Reviews
As if recovering from heart surgery beneath the gaze of his over-protective family wasn’t exasperating enough, someone keeps trying to break into Adrien English’s bookstore. What is this determined midnight intruder searching for?

When a half-century old skeleton tumbles out of the wall in the midst of the Cloak and Dagger Bookstore renovation, Adrien turns to hot and hands
Published December 2009 by Loose Id

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Tide

Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleHot Head by Damon SuedeSticks & Stones by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere Michaels
Favorite Gay Couples
2,526 books — 3,331 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxThe Dark Tide by Josh LanyonZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleDeath of a Pirate King by Josh LanyonFatal Shadows / A Dangerous Thing by Josh Lanyon
Best Gay Mystery
621 books — 637 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Gif-y review with the help of my boyfriend, Chris Martin, beginning in...

3...

2...

1...

Thanks for that intro, Chris, that was spot on. The final edition of the series was a Jake sap-fest... and I, for one, needed that. No, Jake was NOT back in my good graces after book 4 and I needed him to suffer a bit, to put his feelings out in the open and on the line. *I'm evil, I know* I wanted Jake to show some emotion and I got that in this story.

Lots of people were annoyed with Adrien's waffling but I l
Baba
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, josh-lanyon
Review completed January 31, 2013

He smelled like soap and sleep and bare skin. He smelled familiar. Not the déjà-vu familiar of Guy or Mel. Familiar like…the ache in your chest of homesickness, of longing for harbor after weeks of rough seas or craving a fire’s warmth after snow—or wanting back something you should never have given away.

photo tumblr_mb2gkl1yCI1rgfiw2o1_400_zps4d6e6d05.gif

Adrien was sleeping on his sofa when he heard a faint but persistent scratching. Someone tried to break into his bookstore Cloak and Dagger. Even though he i
Loederkoningin
Did I mention that I'm a sucker for scars? But an open heart surgery scar, like Adrien's, that's A LOT OF SCAR. Especially when it's still fresh, bloody and zipper-y. I just discovered that Skeet Ulrich had open heart surgery when he was 10 years old though.

And it hardly shows anymore, don't you think? So Adrien will be just fine in the end and..

...it's your loss Mel, whuahaha...you stupid fuck.

Spoilery!

Now that Adrien's ex-lover, who shouldn't have been in the picture in the first place, is o
Vio
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Vio by: Simsala
When I have collected my thoughts I will attempt to review, that's if I can do it justice. It seriously deserves one even if I have to suffer trying to write it. This has been one of the best series I have ever read. You get the best of both worlds. Fantastic writing, good mystery, killer romance and the wonderful frustrating Adrien English. A sorrowful brilliant character who is adored, loved and worshiped. Gorgeous and truly loved.
Ingela
Written May 31, 2014

4.7 Stars - the last part in an fantastic series and a big thunderous applause - what an AMAZING romantic adventure this was

Book #5

Wow, woot, oh yeah!!!! ~ Directly to the shelf for all time favorite M/M series and high on my list for "most loved book-couple".

***********************************************************

These last days has this lady, Ingela, more or less, being absent from RL and occasionally also completely unreachable. I've not wanted to sacrifice a single fre
Jenni Lea
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Series review

What a ride that was! I have to tell you, I did not expect to love this series as much as I did. I’m not a big mystery fan and I think that was why I put off reading this series (and Josh Lanyon) as long as I did. But let me just say this: I’m so glad I finally gave in and tried it.

Josh Lanyon has an amazing ability to create characters that are so believable; so fleshed out that you feel as if you know them personally. They are so complex and alive. These characters are nowhere ne
Wendy
5-star.png (621×197)

I can honestly say that I am very happy with how this last book turned out.

I really needed Jake to bring his A game and start so some major groveling and in my opnion ...he did. I never expected him to win me over again...but again...he did.

you-did-it.gif (500×281)

This time it's Adrien's turn to act all wishy washy, but I myself did not care one bit. He has been through the wringer...he deserved to conflicted and confused about what he wanted.

giphy-4-5.gif (480×362)

What I wasn't a real big fan of, was Mel showing up out of the blue. This too
Martin
Adrien English is by far one of the very best m/m series I have ever read!

In the romance category, it might take some getting used to, though. While other series about two guys concentrate on finding each other and building a life together, Adrien and Jake are struggling until the very end before they manage to even *be* in a relationship.

In this last book, construction works reveal a skeleton hidden away under the floor of Adrien's Cloak and Dagger bookstore building (a former hotel). The dead
Deeze
Nooooooooooooo its finished

You know a book or series is really good when you read the last page and feel both happy and sad at the same time.

The final book was as well done as the rest Mystery wise. The 50 year old murder and all the suspects kept me intrigued and interested.

Lisa is one of the few female characters I adore, and surprisingly even Natalie did not annoy me. I could be wrong but I even thought there might be a little something about to go on between her and Angus lol.

But the roman
Lena♥Ribka

If I have to judge only the mystery part, then I'd say that the last book of the Adrien English Mystery The Dark Tide was the best.

But it was different.
And our two guys, Adrien and Jake, that I have taken into my heart, were different, they have changed comparing to the other books.

We were shown totally new sides of their characters.
One can argue if it was favourably for the both MCs but it was for sure a benefit for the romance between the two.

I experience different inconsistent emotions afte
Lenore
*This review contains spoilers*

I'm not happy, Mr Lanyon. Not happy at all.

I know I was angry at Jake in the previous two installments but you made me angry at Adrien in this one. What was that behaviour about? At some point I seriously thought you were going to use his heart surgery as a plot device to make him have a "change of heart." Seriously.

And what exactly was Mel, the self-centered, heartless (pun not intended) ex, doing appearing in this book? Tsk tsk tsk. I thought you weren't one of
Natasha

Spoilers down der.

Ah, the dramatic conclusion to this series. I think I've said most of what I had to say in the other book reviews.
In this book, I didn't really care as much. I didn't care who killed Skelly, I didn't really care about the people snooping around. Well, saying I didn't care if strong. I didn't care as much as I previously have.

I felt like I liked Jake 10% more for a while, then 5% less.. so technically now I still like him more than previously, but maybe that dislike has transfe
Susan
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it

FINALLY! I read all 5 books in a weekend. Through books 1-4, I felt so-so about the stories, had increasing loyalty and favor for Adrien, consistently hated Jake, and wanted, hoped, prayed for more...better...at the very least, a HAPPILY EVER AFTER for Adrien. My persistence paid off!

Book 5 finally brought the series up to its potential! It had it's usual Adrien English series mystery, which I'm liking more and more. But, the best part of this book...FINALLY, Jake is out of the closet and...I L
Ami
Have you ever read a book when you get so attached to the characters, that your chest aches - constricted with emotion because of what the characters are going through?

That is what happens with me all the way through.

This is the final Adrien English book. While I enjoy reading the mystery, it is the relationship between Adrien and Jake that is sitting on driver's seat. This one is filled with sentiments from the two of them. How they are dealing with what has happened after Jake's big decision
Kaje Harper
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, m-m
The Adrien English series fully deserves its reputation as the best m/m mystery series around. This installment is my favorite so far, which is saying a lot. The plot is solid, but in this book the emotional connection between Adrien and Jake is front and center. The result is a satisfying narrative that had me fully engaged in every moment, amused, afraid, and emotionally caught up in the story. If you haven't read the others yet (and why not???) go do that first. Then read this one and expect ...more
Trio
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
Re-read with the JL group on GR December 11, 2017

my original review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

As I finish up this re-listen of The Dark Tide I'm enjoying it more this time around, I'm less mad at Jake all the way through... Chris Patton is absolutely incredible though (esp as Jake).

Adrien and Jake, what a perfect romance - just the right amount of passion, angst, betrayal, misunderstandings and love.
Jordan Price
I gobbled the book down all in one day. I'm sure I'll need to re-read the series from the beginning to appreciate all the arcs. The ending felt very satisfying! Hard to say more without spoilers. But I suppose it doesn't spoil much to say I despised Mel. Loathed him. Would love to suckerpunch him. And there's something fun about being able to hate a character like that.
Adam
This book went a long way in redeeming both Adrien and Jake.

Jake makes amends for his mistakes and how he hurt Adrien. It's taken him a long time, but Jake finally realizes that the extent he went to in order to hide his sexuality wasn't his only option. I'll admit, I'm still not completely sold on him, but I can live with the progress he's made.

Plus, Jake's big "I love you" speech was all kinds of romantic.

Adrien finally grew a backbone. He came close to wavering a few times, but he sticks to h
Macky
This series was one of my first forays into LGBT fiction, a genre I don't think I would have explored had I not bought my Kindle and what a treat I would have missed! Since reading all the Adrian English series I have become a big fan of gay fiction and can honestly say have found some of my favourite ever reads within it, as well as some utter dross but that covers all book types. Most m/m fiction is written by straight women ( like mills & boon romances written by men ) and read by a lot o ...more
MishyJo
Adrien with an "e", I love you. Usually at the end of a series I'v already had enough of the MCs. But not here. I want more.
Lauraadriana
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Can a book emotionally torture you while you are loving every word? Yes it can...Like the first four I loved this fifth book in the Adrien English series. My first thought as I read the last line was..."Please someone tell me he is writing a sixth one".

In this book, two years have gone by since we first met Adrien and Jake. Jake has come out of the closet, filed for divorce and left the police force. He wants Adrien, but Adrien has just had heart surgery and is unsure of what he wants. Mostly he
Erika
This series, man. Still so good, still so well written. I haven't changed my mind about it, except to think that it was even better than I remembered.

Jake and Adrien will forever be one of my favorite couples, precisely because they went through so much to get to happiness.

I'm glad I reread this! It was definitely worth it.
Mandi Schreiner
Dec 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The fifth and final book of the Adrien English Mystery Series *SOB*. It is always hard when a series ends for me, especially one so beloved as this one. It was exciting to read the final book to see where Adrien and Jake end up, and to reflect on their journey in the series and Josh Lanyon gave them a goodbye that they much deserved.

I picked up Fatal Shadows, the first book in this series, on a whim one day. It is only 150 pages and I read it all in one sitting. I still remember reading it and t
Gaby
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I can't believe this was the last book! I am sad, frustrated and going through some kind of grieving.. I've always have a huge problem saying good bye to amazing characters, and it's even more difficult when they are part of a series... So, yep.. This makes me sad...

This was the last book of the series.. I liked it a lot, but I must confess that, well, I wanted to shake Adrien. Repeatedly. One time after another. Just... Shake him. I completely understand where he was coming from. I understand t
Vivian
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Adrien.
Jake.

Some things are just hard-earned. This is not an easy road. It's more than a little bumpy following along and much to the horror of dedicated fans this was a series that I loved reading out of order. Getting to know them through snippets in time. In the end, we all have to decide if another is worth the pain. Love is giving someone else the power to hurt you, at any time.

But, they can also make you fly higher than you ever imagined. Is it worth it? The plummet and pain, and soaring
Therese
*4.5*

A great final book in this series. This one answered all my questions in regards to Jake/Adrien as well as having an interesting cold case mystery.

(view spoiler)
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

”There is no trap so deadly as the trap you set for yourself.”
--Raymond Chandler

Hearts can stutter, skip, flip-flop, ache, long, love, and break. They say a broken heart heals with time. But can we truly open up again after being hurt? Or do we just carry on, move through life, play it safe, and settle? Can we love again after heartbreak? Maybe….If it wasn’t for that big, damn obstacle and side effect lurking in the corner of every shattered heart—FEAR.

The Dark Tide, the final book *sobs* in th
Mel
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, e-book, favorites
The Dark Tide is the final book in the Adrien English Mysteries by Josh Lanyon and I'm so sad it's over. But I also have to say: I'm glad Lanyon stopped the story where he did. Eventhough I'd like to see much more of Adrien and the people in his life, it's better to leave us wanting more.

This book had the same ingredients as Lanyon's other stories: good, engaging, witty writing with humor and heart. It wasn't my favorite in the series though, but the rating (4,5 stars) is more based on the serie
Sofia
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Overall rating for whole series 5 stars

Spoiler alert

So this was the last book, bringing to some sort of conclusion to the one relationship between Adrien and Jake and 5 mysteries.

When a relationship is broken and people are hurt, you cannot automatically put them back together (like we would want to). The hurt has to be acknowledged and some sort of reparation has to be. This is what happened in this book, with Adrien unsure, afraid to choose the way forward. I admired the fact that Jake accepte
Shelley
I can't believe this, but I actually feel rather let down by this finale. I got everything I wanted ... I guess. But to be honest, I think I preferred all the angst and suspense. I realise now that it was much more entertaining being angry with Jake than it is sympathising with him. This new needy Jake is all kinds of dull.

The mystery was okay, because I sussed it quite early on - Go me! My newly discovered sleuthing skills are starting to pay off (all credit to Adrien English).

I wasn't all that
  • GhosTV (PsyCop, #6)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Sticks & Stones (Cut & Run, #2)
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright, #2)
  • Deadly Wrong (Deadly Mystery, #2)
  • All or Nothing (Taking the Odds, #3)
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • The Slayer's Apprentice
  • The Elegant Corpse
Bestselling author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance, JOSH LANYON has been called "arguably the single most influential voice in m/m romance today." Granted, that was yesterday.

Today Josh's work has been translated into nine languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be publi
More about Josh Lanyon...

The Adrien English Mysteries (6 books)
  • Fatal Shadows (The Adrien English Mysteries, #1)
  • A Dangerous Thing (The Adrien English Mysteries, #2)
  • The Hell You Say (The Adrien English Mysteries, #3)
  • Death of a Pirate King (The Adrien English Mysteries, #4)
  • So This is Christmas (The Adrien English Mysteries, #7)
“Why can't you say it?" I hardened my voice. "Because I'm telling you, you never have. I'd have remembered."
He stared at me with disbelief. [...]
"Love you? Of course I love you. Baby, I fucking worship you.”
279 likes
“I love you," Jake whispered. "Are you strong enough for this?"
I made myself comfortable. Said over my shoulder, "Sure."
"Would you tell me if you weren't?"
I grinned. "Maybe. I can't think of a nicer way to commit suicide."
"That's good. I can't think of a more pleasant way to commit murder.”
76 likes