Start by marking “The Dark Tide (The Adrien English Mysteries, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Tide (The Adrien English Mysteries, #5)

The Dark Tide

(The Adrien English Mysteries #5)

As if recovering from heart surgery beneath the gaze of his over-protective family wasn’t exasperating enough, someone keeps trying to break into Adrien English’s bookstore. What is this determined midnight intruder searching for?

When a half-century old skeleton tumbles out of the wall in the midst of the Cloak and Dagger Bookstore renovation, Adrien turns to hot and hands
Published December 2009 by Loose Id

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Tide, please sign up.
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~ No. This is the culmination of the entire series and the relationship buildup between Adrien and Jake. You might still be able to enjoy it, but it wou…moreNo. This is the culmination of the entire series and the relationship buildup between Adrien and Jake. You might still be able to enjoy it, but it wouldn't mean as much if you haven't taken the whole journey with them.(less)
Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleHot Head by Damon SuedeSticks & Stones by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere Michaels
Favorite Gay Couples
3,096 books — 3,892 voters
Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanThe Dark Tide by Josh LanyonZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleDeath of a Pirate King by Josh LanyonFatal Shadows / A Dangerous Thing by Josh Lanyon
Best Gay Mystery
746 books — 695 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Dark Tide (The Adrien English Mysteries, #5)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Gif-y review with the help of my boyfriend, Chris Martin, beginning in...

3...

2...

1...

Thanks for that intro, Chris, that was spot on. The final edition of the series was a Jake sap-fest... and I, for one, needed that. No, Jake was NOT back in my good graces after book 4 and I needed him to suffer a bit, to put his feelings out in the open and on the line. *I'm evil, I know* I wanted Jake to show some emotion and I got that in this story.

Lots of people were annoyed with Adrien's waffling but I
Baba
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, josh-lanyon
Review completed January 31, 2013

He smelled like soap and sleep and bare skin. He smelled familiar. Not the déjà-vu familiar of Guy or Mel. Familiar like…the ache in your chest of homesickness, of longing for harbor after weeks of rough seas or craving a fire’s warmth after snow—or wanting back something you should never have given away.

photo tumblr_mb2gkl1yCI1rgfiw2o1_400_zps4d6e6d05.gif

Adrien was sleeping on his sofa when he heard a faint but persistent scratching. Someone tried to break into his bookstore Cloak and Dagger. Even though
Kat
Did I mention that I'm a sucker for scars? But an open heart surgery scar, like Adrien's, that's A LOT OF SCAR. Especially when it's still fresh, bloody and zipper-y. I just discovered that Skeet Ulrich had open heart surgery when he was 10 years old though.

And it hardly shows anymore, don't you think? So Adrien will be just fine in the end and..

...it's your loss Mel, whuahaha...you stupid fuck.

Spoilery!

Now that Adrien's ex-lover, who shouldn't have been in the picture in the first place, is o
Shile
Changing my rating to 5++++ stars and tweaking my review a bit to reflect the rating.

The buddy reread really helped with bumping my rating.

Baby, you win

There are so many great reviews, nothing more to add and since I am too tired to write a proper one. I believe this will do:

5++++ for the Audiobook
5++++stars for the story

I love it! loved it!

- Adrien is one of my favorite character ever. He is forever in my heart.

- The writing was good as always.

“He smelled like soap and sleep and bare
Wendy
5-star.png (621×197)

I can honestly say that I am very happy with how this last book turned out.

I really needed Jake to bring his A-game and start so some major groveling and in my opinion ...he did. I never expected him to win me over again...but again...he did.

you-did-it.gif (500×281)

This time it's Adrien's turn to act all wishy-washy, but I myself did not care one bit. He has been through the wringer...he deserved to conflicted and confused about what he wanted.

giphy-4-5.gif (480×362)

What I wasn't a real big fan of, was Mel showing up out of the blue. This to
Martin
Adrien English is by far one of the very best m/m series I have ever read!

In the romance category, it might take some getting used to, though. While other series about two guys concentrate on finding each other and building a life together, Adrien and Jake are struggling until the very end before they manage to even *be* in a relationship.

In this last book, construction works reveal a skeleton hidden away under the floor of Adrien's Cloak and Dagger bookstore building (a former hotel). The dead
Vio
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Vio by: Simsala
When I have collected my thoughts I will attempt to review, that's if I can do it justice. It seriously deserves one even if I have to suffer trying to write it. This has been one of the best series I have ever read. You get the best of both worlds. Fantastic writing, good mystery, killer romance and the wonderful frustrating Adrien English. A sorrowful brilliant character who is adored, loved and worshiped. Gorgeous and truly loved.
Dia
Great ending to this series. Loved the writing!!
Ingie
Written May 31, 2014

4.7 Stars - the last part in an fantastic series and a big thunderous applause - what an AMAZING romantic adventure this was

Book #5

Wow, woot, oh yeah!!!! ~ Directly to the shelf for all time favorite M/M series and high on my list for "most loved book-couple".

***********************************************************

These last days has this lady, Ingela, more or less, being absent from RL and occasionally also completely unreachable. I've not wanted to sacrifice a single
Ms. Smartarse
[January 2018 reread] Heavily disappointed by Death in a Difficult Position, a book written under the author's real(?) name, I was in despair. Did I reach my fill of M/M romances as well?! Even with Josh Lanyon, whose writing style can do no wrong?! I am in complete denial about The Curse of the Blue Scarab, by the way. But I digress...

no no no

The Dark Tide begins right after Adrien's escape from the family home. For those of you looking for the ninja-like crawling, along with the sliding beneath the la
Jenni Lea
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Series review

What a ride that was! I have to tell you, I did not expect to love this series as much as I did. I’m not a big mystery fan and I think that was why I put off reading this series (and Josh Lanyon) as long as I did. But let me just say this: I’m so glad I finally gave in and tried it.

Josh Lanyon has an amazing ability to create characters that are so believable; so fleshed out that you feel as if you know them personally. They are so complex and alive. These characters are nowhere ne
Moony Eliver
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Moony by: Elena gets the pusher credit for this one!
The Dark Tide — 4.5 stars. This mystery didn’t hold my attention as well as the last one, but it has solid importance to the story, and it’s one that I’m curious to scrutinize much closer on my next read. A tornado warning could have gone off right by my head when I was reading Adrien and Jake’s scenes in this book and I wouldn’t have been the wiser.

This series is A Tale of Two Genres. And it’s also a cautionary tale about not throwing the baby out with the bathwater, from a reading perspective.
Snjez
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
It's not often that a series has a satisfying ending and, in my opinion, this one does. The story wasn't entirely what I expected, but I think it's perfect just the way it is. There were still bumps in the road, but it was also very sweet, romantic and emotional.

I loved Adrien and Jake in this one. I'm not mad at Jake anymore, I'm glad he finally opened up, but I could also understand Adrien's fears. Ultimately, I just loved their moments together, I loved the little things Jake did or said, and
Natasha

Spoilers down der.

Ah, the dramatic conclusion to this series. I think I've said most of what I had to say in the other book reviews.
In this book, I didn't really care as much. I didn't care who killed Skelly, I didn't really care about the people snooping around. Well, saying I didn't care if strong. I didn't care as much as I previously have.

I felt like I liked Jake 10% more for a while, then 5% less.. so technically now I still like him more than previously, but maybe that dislike has transfe
LenaRibka

If I have to judge only the mystery part, then I'd say that the last book of the Adrien English Mystery The Dark Tide was the best.

But it was different.
And our two guys, Adrien and Jake, that I have taken into my heart, were different, they have changed comparing to the other books.

We were shown totally new sides of their characters.
One can argue if it was favourably for the both MCs but it was for sure a benefit for the romance between the two.

I experience different inconsistent emotions aft
Deeze
Nooooooooooooo its finished

You know a book or series is really good when you read the last page and feel both happy and sad at the same time.

The final book was as well done as the rest Mystery wise. The 50 year old murder and all the suspects kept me intrigued and interested.

Lisa is one of the few female characters I adore, and surprisingly even Natalie did not annoy me. I could be wrong but I even thought there might be a little something about to go on between her and Angus lol.

But the roman
Trio
Re-read with the JL group on GR December 11, 2017

my original review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

As I finish up this re-listen of The Dark Tide I'm enjoying it more this time around, I'm less mad at Jake all the way through... Chris Patton is absolutely incredible though (esp as Jake).

Adrien and Jake, what a perfect romance - just the right amount of passion, angst, betrayal, misunderstandings and love.
Jordan Price
I gobbled the book down all in one day. I'm sure I'll need to re-read the series from the beginning to appreciate all the arcs. The ending felt very satisfying! Hard to say more without spoilers. But I suppose it doesn't spoil much to say I despised Mel. Loathed him. Would love to suckerpunch him. And there's something fun about being able to hate a character like that.
Lenore
*This review contains spoilers*

I'm not happy, Mr Lanyon. Not happy at all.

I know I was angry at Jake in the previous two installments but you made me angry at Adrien in this one. What was that behaviour about? At some point I seriously thought you were going to use his heart surgery as a plot device to make him have a "change of heart." Seriously.

And what exactly was Mel, the self-centered, heartless (pun not intended) ex, doing appearing in this book? Tsk tsk tsk. I thought you weren't one of
Susan
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it

FINALLY! I read all 5 books in a weekend. Through books 1-4, I felt so-so about the stories, had increasing loyalty and favor for Adrien, consistently hated Jake, and wanted, hoped, prayed for more...better...at the very least, a HAPPILY EVER AFTER for Adrien. My persistence paid off!

Book 5 finally brought the series up to its potential! It had it's usual Adrien English series mystery, which I'm liking more and more. But, the best part of this book...FINALLY, Jake is out of the closet and...I L
Ami
Have you ever read a book when you get so attached to the characters, that your chest aches - constricted with emotion because of what the characters are going through?

That is what happens with me all the way through.

This is the final Adrien English book. While I enjoy reading the mystery, it is the relationship between Adrien and Jake that is sitting on driver's seat. This one is filled with sentiments from the two of them. How they are dealing with what has happened after Jake's big decision
Kaje Harper
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, m-m
The Adrien English series fully deserves its reputation as the best m/m mystery series around. This installment is my favorite so far, which is saying a lot. The plot is solid, but in this book the emotional connection between Adrien and Jake is front and center. The result is a satisfying narrative that had me fully engaged in every moment, amused, afraid, and emotionally caught up in the story. If you haven't read the others yet (and why not???) go do that first. Then read this one and expect ...more
Adam
This book went a long way in redeeming both Adrien and Jake.

Jake makes amends for his mistakes and how he hurt Adrien. It's taken him a long time, but Jake finally realizes that the extent he went to in order to hide his sexuality wasn't his only option. I'll admit, I'm still not completely sold on him, but I can live with the progress he's made.

Plus, Jake's big "I love you" speech was all kinds of romantic.

Adrien finally grew a backbone. He came close to wavering a few times, but he sticks to h
Macky
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This series was one of my first forays into LGBT fiction, a genre I don't think I would have explored had I not bought my Kindle and what a treat I would have missed! Since reading all the Adrian English series I have become a big fan of gay fiction and can honestly say have found some of my favourite ever reads within it, as well as some utter dross but that covers all book types. Most m/m fiction is written by straight women ( like mills & boon romances written by men ) and read by a lot of st ...more
Vivian
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Adrien.
Jake.

Some things are just hard-earned. This is not an easy road. It's more than a little bumpy following along and much to the horror of dedicated fans this was a series that I loved reading out of order. Getting to know them through snippets in time. In the end, we all have to decide if another is worth the pain. Love is giving someone else the power to hurt you, at any time.

But, they can also make you fly higher than you ever imagined. Is it worth it? The plummet and pain, and soaring
Erika
This series, man. Still so good, still so well written. I haven't changed my mind about it, except to think that it was even better than I remembered.

Jake and Adrien will forever be one of my favorite couples, precisely because they went through so much to get to happiness.

I'm glad I reread this! It was definitely worth it.
Natalia
Re-read July 2016

Adrien is still one of my favourite characters ever! Love him! <3
Mandi Schreiner
Dec 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The fifth and final book of the Adrien English Mystery Series *SOB*. It is always hard when a series ends for me, especially one so beloved as this one. It was exciting to read the final book to see where Adrien and Jake end up, and to reflect on their journey in the series and Josh Lanyon gave them a goodbye that they much deserved.

I picked up Fatal Shadows, the first book in this series, on a whim one day. It is only 150 pages and I read it all in one sitting. I still remember reading it and t
Katerina

Re-read in October 2018.

What was that line from The Long Goodbye? Chandler had it right. To say goodbye is to die a little.

How true and how apt. This series is a real classic of the genre. And not a bit dusty. Though already over 15 years old. The story has really convinced me with the 3rd part. The 4th part was for me the most emotionally exciting part.
And in this last part here the film noir mood and Raymond Chandler have provided the ideal stage.

“I’d thought — I don’t know why — that I wa
Josy
Three Christmas Codas set during Christmas after The Dark Tide:

***********************************************

re-read
~ 4.5 stars ~

***********************************************
~ 4 stars ~

I enjoyed the whole series and loved the narration of the audio version.

If you are looking for your typical romance novel you won't find it in this series. I'd say it's definitely more gay fic

• The Keeper of Bees (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords #5)
  • Wayward (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords, #4)
  • Police Brutality (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords, #2)
  • Transposition (Hazard and Somerset, #2)
  • Transactional Dynamics (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords, #3)
  • Pretty Pretty Boys (Hazard and Somerset, #1)
  • Guilt by Association (Hazard and Somerset, #4)
  • Paternity Case (Hazard and Somerset #3)
  • The Rational Faculty (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords, #1)
  • Reasonable Doubt (Hazard and Somerset #5)
  • P.S. I Spook You (The Spectral Files, #1)
  • Criss Cross (PsyCop, #2)
  • Triangulation (Borealis Investigations, #2)
  • Among the Living (PsyCop, #1)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • Orientation (Borealis Investigations, #1)
  • Stars & Stripes (Cut & Run, #6)
  • Touch & Geaux (Cut & Run, #7)
Josh Lanyon is the author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance.

Her work has been translated into eleven languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be published by Harlequin Mondadori, the largest romance publisher in Italy. Stranger on the Shore (Harper Collins Italia) was the f

The Adrien English Mysteries (5 books)
  • Fatal Shadows (The Adrien English Mysteries, #1)
  • A Dangerous Thing (The Adrien English Mysteries, #2)
  • The Hell You Say (The Adrien English Mysteries, #3)
  • Death of a Pirate King (The Adrien English Mysteries, #4)