Start by marking “The New York Public Library Desk Reference” as Want to Read:
The New York Public Library Desk Reference

The New York Public Library Desk Reference

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  207 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
A revised and updated edition of the best-selling reference features information organized into twenty-seven subject areas, including the Earth, fine arts, literature, etiquette, computers, and religions.
Hardcover, Second Edition, 930 pages
Published November 1st 1993 by MacMillan Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The New York Public Library Desk Reference, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New York Public Library Desk Reference

Gretchen
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cleaning my bookshelves is always dangerous because I end up wanting to sit down with every other book and get lost in it. The NYPL Desk Reference is particularly tempting. Google be damned, this book - full of all sorts of helpful &/or fascinating charts, lists, graphs, signs, symbols, useful addresses! cloud nomenclature!! - is delicious. I'm on the net as much as anyone, probably more than many, but you'll have to pry my paper books out of my clutching dead hands. And even then I might sl ...more
Kaden
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-bookshelf
The New York Public Library Desk Reference by the New York Public Library is the most information packed book I have ever read. With many weird and wacky facts, this book is probably one of the best for general information. It is meant to be used to look up facts at leisure, but one can use it in any way one wants. Although some sections of the book are mildly boring, this is definitely the best nonfiction book I’ve ever read.
With many, many chapters full of interesting stuff, The New York Pu
Oct 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Need definitions of frequently used foreign words and phrases? What is the average temperature in Acapulco? How do you remove common stains? When were the total eclipses of the sun in the 20th century? What items should you have in yur first-aid kit? Who were all the kings and queens of England and when did they reign? You know you want to know this and more. Here it is. I love this book and drag it out regularly. Gotta have it.
Aaron
Jan 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general, reference
This book is great. In the days before Wikipedia (or even really the heyday of the internet), it was the ultimate reference book, covering everything from letter formats to government and business listings to miscellaneous pieces of information about science, technology and the humanities that you might want to clarify. Still quite useful if you don't have the internet or just to have on hand in an office.
Sophiebird
Apr 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book when we first got it. Great not only for reference, but brief reads on an array of topics... but alas... the internet has entered my life these days and a quick click to the next topic is the method of choice these days.
Lisa
The New York Public Library Desk Reference (4th Edition) by Paul Fargis (2002)
Michelle Devidi
Aug 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every home should have one! Where else can you learn about philosophers, astronomy, time zones, state flowers and how to set a table for a wedding? Thank you Heather for the best gift ever!
Thom Dunn
Mine is the Third edition, has this cover. Compares favorably with Dictionary of Cultural Literacy. Readable, too.
Mckinley
Jun 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, ref
Learned about this in library school.
Colin
Mar 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scholarly-works
My copy was a gift from Heather, and it is truly an awesome reference guide without which I do not like to be.
Jessica
Apr 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fivestars
I love this as much as the Almanac. It has EVERYTHING!
David
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Conpendium of information, statistics, & demographics.
Kaethe
Nov 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
"This is not the house of speculation" is commonly heard at home. If you're going to be stranded somewhere without internet, be sure to have a copy of this with you.
Freak
Soft cover rather than hardcover.
Leonard Pierce
This is sort of an agglomeration of handy charts, graphs, statistical tables, and other data that was incredibly handy for your writerly type before the invention of the internet.
Jun 15, 2013
Tom
Dec 01, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Benét's Reader's Encyclopedia
  • Bartlett's Familiar Quotations: A Collection of Passages, Phrases and Proverbs Traced to Their Sources in Ancient and Modern Literature
  • The Oxford Companion to the English Language
  • The Film Encyclopedia: The Most Comprehensive Encyclopedia of World Cinema in a Single Volume
  • Roget's International Thesaurus
  • The Timetables of History: A Horizontal Linkage of People and Events
  • The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy
  • Merriam-Webster's Encyclopedia of Literature
  • The American Heritage Dictionary
  • The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists #3
  • 501 French Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses and Moods in a New Easy-To-Learn Format, Alphabetically Arranged
  • Dictionary of Word Origins: Histories of More Than 8,000 English-Language Words
  • The New York Times Guide to Essential Knowledge: A Desk Reference for the Curious Mind
  • The Oxford Companion to English Literature