Start by marking “Comeback America: Turning the Country Around and Restoring Fiscal Responsibility” as Want to Read:

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  223 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Published January 12th 2010 by Random House (first published December 22nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Comeback America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Comeback America

Steve
Feb 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: economics
If you’ve seen David Walker anywhere, you’ll remember him as a straight talkin’, former Comptroller General of the United States who is really REALLY worried about the financial deficits of the US. He’s been on 60 Minutes, written several books, has a movie (IOUSA). All of which seek to drive home the point that the US is in a huge financial hole ($56 trillion as of 2008) and we need to get serious. His solution: raise taxes and cut spending, with an emphasis on entitlement spending.

As an accoun
Don
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: current-events
Walker was comptroller general for 10 years. He knows Washington, the Federal debt crisis and is not shy about offering solutions. It should be a requirement to know what is in this book to vote.
Rich
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it

Books about fixing America's dysfunctional economy are trendy again and partisan finger pointing is probably the most notable component in most books. The book by David M. Walker called Comeback America is no exception when it comes to the frustration and anger he shares when in particular chastising President George W. Bush. Irritation aside, Walker is one who has the credentials to deliver punches since he also work under President Reagan, Bush 41 and Clinton eventually becoming comptroller ge

Devi
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Some interesting thoughts in this book but somewhat simplistic in its outlook and hopes.
Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton
As the former comptroller general of the United States, David Walker knows a little about the fiscal workings of the modern federal government. For fifteen years, he served under both Republican and Democratic presidents from Reagan to Clinton to the Bushes), and had a unique opportunity to call into question the decisions that have lead to our current fiscal woes.And he doesn’t hold back. As he argues in the first few pages of his book “Comeback America,” we are a great country, but we are putt ...more
Durg
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tddf

sharing your thoughts,I

Chi h h h h j U.N.that tree. N buy d u I d d I h

Kat
Jan 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Recommended to Kat by: Jon Stewart
Giving this a five-star even though the style of writing wasn't the most amazing in the world (though good enough that it was an easy read) and the subjects were occasionally repetitive to the point of tedium. Part of that may have been emphasized by the fact that I read it in two days.

BUT HOLY CRAP READ THIS BOOK.

Read this book and feel as nauseous as I did when you realize that "by 2040, all of our federal tax revenues will add up to enough to cover only our two biggest expenses: interest on o
Alberto Lopez
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
Every responsible American citizen should read this book. It demystifies the terrible state of our country's balance sheet. In a nutshell, we are broke and at the edge of the abyss. Irresponsible politicians at both ends of the isle have turned us into the punch line of all global jokes. It is up to the country's citizenry to demand that fiscal responsibility be displayed. Incredibly, the author finds ways to keep the dialog optimistic. It is thus more than just a gloom and doom book on our debt ...more
Joe
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's amazing to me that the country does not truly realize the problems associated with our current budget trajectory and the government spending and lack of taxes to pay for it. Walker doe an excellent job of laying out those facts - in clearcut language leaving no dispute about the seriousness of the issue. He is also very clear about how our children and grandchildren will ultimately pay the price if we don't get the situation corrected.

Like them or not, he lays out some relatively common-sen
C.J.
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Much of the information in this book I already knew. Unfortunately, many of the solutions Walker offers to are very progressive in nature, which, in my opinion, are the problems facing the nation today. If all men are created equal, why must gov't impose progressive taxes, regulations, etc? And I'm firmly in the lower-middle class.

Needless to say, I found the "solution" portion of the book to be very lacking and very evident that it was written by someone who's been in government much too long.
Christina
Apr 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
I downloaded this book from my uncle’s Kindle account. He has a whole slew of “fixing” America how-to books and I’ve always been intrigued by his selections. This book, subtitled “Turning the Country Around and Restoring Fiscal Responsibility”, was the title I found my finger hoovering over time and time again.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people complain about paying taxes. Nobody likes paying taxes but we derive so many services from paying taxes that I’m always flabbergasted by people’
Alan Flyer
Feb 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
A great take on our current long-term financial crisis by someone who actually knows something, the former comptroller general of the United States, David Walker. Walker is very convincing in his analysis of our current economic problems, and offers as solid a list of suggestions as is possible in today's environment.

Rather than rehash his theories, I'll use this space to highly recommend this book to anyone who is concerned beyond the typical political tripe that dominates today's media. There'
Mindy
Mar 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
After, I think more than a year of reading this book, I'm glad I'm finished. It's actually kind of interesting because he wrote this book in 2008-09 and much has taken place in America since. Sadly much is opposite of what he teaches. America is still fiscally irresponisible, we are still fighting 2 unnecessary wars, and Obama's hope and change bit never came to fruition. David M. Walker has a lot of the right (more conservative) ideas it's just getting the citizens of America to adopt his chall ...more
Donald
Aug 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
A sobering look at the country's current fiscal debacle. Walker attempts (and mostly succeeds) at a non-partisan look at what is wrong, where it went wrong, the barriers to fixing it, and ideas to turn things around.

Personally, I was left looking for a little more meat on the bones of many of his analyses and proposals. However, given that the book is geared to speak to a wide range of people and thus has to keep it at a high level rather than digging into the details.

Recommended reading for any
Karen
Feb 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was an eye-opening book about America's fiscal irresponsibility. The author managed to be non-partisan and well-informed. I didn't like one of the chapters near the end where he was very self-congratulatory about the work he did with the Government Accountability Office. I also felt his overall tone of hope for the future seemed a little forced and overly positive given the situation he describes. However overall I would highly recommend that everyone read this book. It certainly made me th ...more
Jonathan
Jan 12, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: heard-on-mpr-npr

Former federal official warns about mounting deficit
Broadcast: Midday, 01/12/2010, 12:00 p.m.

David Walker, a former comptroller general of the United States and former head of the Government Accountability Office, says the U.S. faces longterm disaster if it doesn't fix its financial condition.

Walker is the author of the new book, "Comeback America: Turning the Country Around and Restoring Fiscal Responsibility."

He spoke at the National Press Club in Wash
Mary
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Saw this guy on the Daily Show and I am really excited to read it.

This book really makes excellent points, about the role of government with regards to fiscal accountability. The truth here seems to be not whether we are liberal or conservative, but whether we can find true representation that will help us return our fiscally irresponsible country, that is addicted to credit to the black. It's not about what services the government provides us, it is what we need and how we pay for it. This is a
Nick
Best book I've read about the financial situation we face. Honest and scary yet hopeful. If our system didn't prevent people like David Walker from running for president, I would elect him and we could get this country back on solid ground. I will recommend this to everyone I know. Excellent, excellent book if you are interested in the current economic crisis the US faces and potential ways to escape the next Great Depression.
Sean Rosenthal
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting Quote:

"The federal government borrowed $787 billion...for the stimulus bill...and the entire amount was added to out national debt. Does that remind you of anything? How about all the Americans who made no down payments...to finance homes they couldn't afford? Those irresponsible borrowing practices...caused the subprime mortgage crisis. Now our government is acting like one of those irresponsible mortgagees."

-David Walker, Comeback America
Rachel
May 30, 2010 added it
I didn't finish this, but I can summarize it for you: our national financial situation makes our government look like drunken, irresponsible frat boys. THe solution is to raise taxes and decrease spending, especially on social programs. Since our government won't do it (and neither political party is going to like the above prescription completely), American citizens have to demand it. Good luck with that.
Mike
Jul 17, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a worthwhile read. Having been comptroller general of the US and CEO of the GAO certainly lends credibility to his recommendations. I thought he did a good job generally of laying out his case for fiscal responsibility. I would have liked him to played more devil's advocate and argue the other side on occasion, but overall I thought it was persuasive. I am not however very optimistic.
Shaun
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this, but I just couldn't. Basically, Walker finds both sides of the political spectrum too principled. Instead, Walker aims for practicality which is what drawn me to this book. However, it seems that Walker interprets practicality as "centrist" which is a principled position. Sometimes, doing the practical thing is on both sides of the spectrum and not just in the center. Walker aims for moderation, but it didn't grab me. I was disappointed.
Neal
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
David Walker held a very important position in government where he observed the mismanagement government is involved in doing daily. He held the office of Comptroller General, which is the only Federal Government job or position that is contractual for a fifteen year period. Walker resigned the last two years of his job to warn Americans of the coming financial disaster. This book tells his story and every citizen needs to read.
Nicholas Miller
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A great read on the financial situation America finds itself in and how we arrived here. Though the author presents himself as a fiscal conservative, I felt he presented his case in a non-partisan tone and used hard numbers to back his claims. I found myself agreeing with most everything in the book. Anyone interested in the financial future of our nation should give this a read.
Dale
Mar 11, 2010 is currently reading it
Great read. I do not agree with all of Mr. Walker's solutions. In particular, we do not need to raise taxes. Howevever, the weight of our nations debt is broken down and it is scary. We need to simplify the tax code, reduce spending and make changes to Social Security and T18/T19 in order to keep this nation great.
Drew Johnson
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
As Comptroller and CEO of GAO, Walker knows the state of our country's financial situation as well as anyone. He's not the most compelling writer and is repetitive at times but his recommendations are on point. He is a practical, non partisan guy who is passionate about fixing our fiscal challenges. I would have liked more data and charts but worth the read.
Patrick Crowe
Nov 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
The subject matter and stances taken by the author aren't necessarily bad. As "serious" as the author would like the book to be, I feel the solutions offered were painted with too broad a brush. I understand the severity of our financial situation and I hoped to get more from the author on what we can do about it.
Eric
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems that Walker was unable, while he was head of GAO, to convince those for whom he toiled that they really do need to get a handle on spending(budgeting) while identifying adequate revenues to pay for all the goodies they wisht to continue showering on the heads of their constituents. Well worth reading the next time you're thinking about voting for any of these ignoramouses.
Steven
Mar 24, 2010 rated it did not like it
Mr. Walker has written a "fiscal policy for dummies" book and tried to pass it off as an intelligent, nonpartisan look at governmental spending (while mostly ignoring revenue). His oversimplification of the issues combined with his completely unrealistic suggestions make this a book to avoid.
Josh Camire
Feb 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
Great book, really speaks to the problems that face us. The problem is I doubt anyone will listen to the advice and plan put forth in this book. And that scares me.

Read this book. Make your own decision.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Crisis and Command: A History of Executive Power from George Washington to George W. Bush
  • The Battle: How the Fight between Free Enterprise and Big Government Will Shape America's Future
  • The Great American Stickup: How Reagan Republicans and Clinton Democrats Enriched Wall Street While Mugging Main Street
  • Saving Freedom: We Can Stop America's Slide into Socialism
  • Rollback: Repealing Big Government Before the Coming Fiscal Collapse
  • Journey into America
  • Liberty's Blueprint: How Madison and Hamilton Wrote the Federalist, Defined the Constitution, and Made Democracy Safe for the World
  • Courting Disaster: How the CIA Kept America Safe and How Barack Obama Is Inviting the Next Attack
  • Separation of Church & State: What the Founders Meant
  • The Causes of the Civil War
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Vietnam War
  • The Second Civil War: How Extreme Partisanship Has Paralyzed Washington and Polarized America
  • We Still Hold These Truths: Rediscovering Our Principles, Reclaiming Our Future
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Presidents: From Wilson to Obama (Politically Incorrect Guides (Paperback))
  • The Path to Tyranny
  • The Great Game: The Emergence of Wall Street as a World Power 1653-2000
  • The Debt Bomb: A Bold Plan to Stop Washington from Bankrupting America
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal

“trouble. After all, you have just picked up a book on the fiscal crisis by a certified” 0 likes
“America is a great country—the greatest,” 0 likes