Start by marking “One Day In May” as Want to Read:
One Day In May

One Day In May

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  910 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Single mother Hattie has plenty of reasons to be happy with her life. Her antiques business is flourishing, her teenage son is settled at boarding school and she's enjoying a fling with a younger, very sexy man. But all that changes one fine day in May.
Published April 27th 2010 by Michael Joseph (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about One Day In May, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Day In May

Karen
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a story all about lies. Big lies, little lies. Lies to yourself and lies to your family. I first started this book some time ago, and I trundled along with it, but in the last two weeks I have seriously started to get back into it.

I have to admit, that I was bowled over by the shocking admission that happens towards the end of the story. I, as a reader, had been suckered into the lies that Hattie had managed to weave around her life, and when I read it, I was as shocked as the character
Nina Draganova
Това е най-тъжната книга на Катрин Елиът .
Явно темата за войните ме преследва отвсякъде.
Тук става дума за войната в Сараево.
Въпреки , че съм чела много пъти нейните книги, винаги намирам нещо ново, което да ме замисли.
Уви, сякаш нещата , за които пише авторката и които ни се случват в реалния живот не са важни, за да бъде продължено издаването й. Поне в моята страна.
Tracy Kellies
Maybe I will read this book "One day in May"...

I gave up after a few pages. I can't understand for the life of me why it was so hard for me to get in to the flow of the book. I am rather gonna keep this one for a rainy day...
Eva
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
boring, predictable and cliche, with characters that are more like caricatures. the silver lining is the writing.
Leah
Dec 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
I absolutely love Catherine Alliott’s books and have read the majority of those she’s had published so far. She has a quirky kind of writing style and although some of her plots are a little bit odd (see Rosie Meadows Regrets to know what I mean), her books are ultimately enjoyable. Therefore I was thrilled to see Catherine was back after a two-year absence with a new book (The Secret Life of Evie Hamilton) and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. The fact it’s still sitting on my shelf is irr ...more
Kaley
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
One Day in May by Catherine Alliott may be one of my favourite chick lit reads of the year so far! I decided to read it for this month's Chick Lit Plus Challenge read because it's May and since the book has "May" in the title I found it fitting. It's been sitting on my shelf for awhile but I'm glad I finally got around to reading it because I really enjoyed it!

I'm a huge fan of British/Irish chick lit. I have some favourites - Matthews, O'Flanagan, Ahern - and I think Alliott may end up on this
Kaye R
Nov 03, 2011 rated it liked it
This is the story of Hattie, an almost 40-year-old single mum with teenage son Seffen, who has a serious attitude problem (what teenager doesn't?). She runs a French antiques business with her friend Maggie, and has a secret toy-boy Ivan.

Her gorgeous sister Laura is married to an upper-crust rich man with a country manor in need of serious re-decorating, so Hattie is called in to oblige. This brings back memories of Hattie's first love Dominic, a married politician, as the manor is located in th
Jouraine
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, library, 2012
Where do I begin to express my dislike for this book? I'm not sure because anything I say might actually spoil the read for anyone who might want to (piece of advice: don't). The characters are really weak, and even after finishing the book I can't say that I know enough about the main character to think of her with anything but indifference; and as for the plot, that's another story (I crack myself up), it's totally non-existent. Based on the blurb, I got the impression going in that there woul ...more
Sam
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Second book I have read from this author. Enjoyed rural affair but this book annoyed me. I wont give it away but hate it when authors blatantly lie to you and mislead you. It is lazy writing. Not just the most obvious twist - but the way the author paints our leading ladies perception of different characters. Also I am not averse to a bit of artistic licence but there are some major inaccuracies in the book - the aristocracy don't put modern art all over their stately homes for a start - emails ...more
Gail Mallin
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Catherine Alliot is on top form with this book. It's funny and the characters are engaging. I would have given it five stars except for one thing, I think the plot twist towards the end of the book is a bit of a cheat. The story is told in the first person by the heroine, Hattie, who is very open about her life, but Alliot deliberately misleads the reader about Hattie's son so that the plot twist can have the necessary impact, which struck me as a bit devious.
  • That Loving Feeling
  • The Movie
  • Wild Things
  • Sweet Temptation
  • And Then It Happened
Catherine has written fifteen bestselling novels and is translated into eighteen languages. She has sold over 3 million books worldwide.

The first of these novels Catherine started under the desk when she worked as an advertising copywriter. She was duly fired. With time on her hands, she persevered with the novels, which happily flourished.

In the early days she produced a baby with each book - but
More about Catherine Alliott...