Start by marking “La hermandad de la Sábana Santa” as Want to Read:
La hermandad de la Sábana Santa

La hermandad de la Sábana Santa

Un incendio en la catedral de Turín, donde se venera la Sábana Santa, y la muerte en él de un hombre al que habían cortado la lengua, son los detonantes de una trepidante investigación policial del Departamento del Arte, capitaneado por el detective Marco Valoni.Junto a la perspicaz y atractiva historiadora Sofia Galloni y una periodista ávida de preguntas, el grupo de ...more
Published October 15th 2013 by Debolsillo (first published 2004)

Start your review of La hermandad de la Sábana Santa
Viji  (Bookish endeavors)
Did you have to waste so many pages.? Waste of time and energy. The book is supposed to be a thriller and I didn't feel any thrill at all. It was dull,dragging,and tested my patience in many places. You can't state few names like shroud of Turin and Knights Templar and expect the readers to accept it as a spectacular thriller. Well.. I'm to be blamed for falling for anything with those names in it. And the ending.. It couldn't have been more crappy.
Jean
“The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud” by Julia Navarro is a novel woven around the history of the Shroud of Turin. The protagonist is Marco Valoni, Chief of the Italian Art Crimes Department.

The author is a Spanish journalist and this is her first novel. The book starts off slow, but does pick up the pace as it goes along. I had the feeling Navarro tried to pack too much information and characters into the story. Otherwise, it was an exciting historical novel. Navarro had two stories on going:
William
Aug 20, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought about giving this book a two, out of fairness, but after forcing myself to finish it, I simply can not bring myself to do that. I don't know if this book was simply a victim of it being translated into English, or if it simply was poorly written to begin with. There were too many characters, too many plots and nothing was fleshed out. The story just sludged on for 371 pages and finally collapsed at the end without any real ending. This felt like assigned reading during junior high. The ...more
Doug Clark
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julia Navarro is well-known journalist based in Madrid. The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud is her first novel. For fans of the novels of Dan Brown, this is in much the same vein. The novel opens with a fire and the death of a tongue-less and fingerprint-less man in the Turin Cathedral, the repository of the famous Shroud of Turin. The head of the Arts Crimes Division of the Italian police, Marco Valoni, suspects there is more to a mere fire, as two years earlier a thief, also tongue-less and ...more
Ashish Jaituni
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE HOLY SHROUD is an excellent effort on Navarro's part. The modern-day story is fast-paced, with believable action and well-defined characters. The historical storyline, however, suffers a bit from an overabundance of characters, some imagined, some historical. This does tend to slow down some of the chapters. Still, given the amount of territory she covers, the plot moves along quickly enough to sustain the reader's interest. In fact, it moves almost too quickly at the end; ...more
M M
Apr 26, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another Spanish romp is Julia Navarro's The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud. Just when you thought you were safe from the Knights Templar, here they return, as heroic in fiction as they have been derided in history. This is yet another silly historical-thriller-joining-the-Dan-Brown-wagon. If it's not Dante whose books provide clues to modern crimes, it's the bloody Templars and their rituals. Surely there's enough history in Europe without having to dream up a fresh conspiracy? Arturo ...more
Karlie Nyte
This book is fantastic. While the beginning starts off a bit slow, once you get into the story a bit, the pace picks up, and the story really gets moving. This book is based in two different time lines. One is the modern time, with the police investigating a fire in the city of Turin. The other is the time following the crucifixion of Jesus. The Shroud of Turin is the piece that ties the two time lines together, as the fire took place in the church where the Shroud is normally kept and ...more
Jul 16, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of the worst books I've ever read in my life. I seriously wanted to throw this book to the bin. Not only it is really bad written, but the characters are flat and unlikeable and extremely annoying and the storyline is just... blah. Seems like a bad remake of "The Da Vinci Code". Couldn't care less about this stupid book. How could I ever read this, I still don't know.
Dave
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Okay, I swear this is the last Jesus-religious-artefact-coverup-giant-conspiracy-making-money-off-The Da Vinci Code- book that I'm going to read. I swear.

Basically, you can pretty much predict where the book will go and what will happen from just reading the cover. Controversial Church relic? Check. Shadowy international organization? Check. A conspiracy to unravel? Check. Oh, the excitement!

I suppose it was slightly useful in that I learned a little about the Shroud of Turin, but, really, I
Cynfully Sweet
Actually...

this is more like 2 1/2 stars.

This book is like... a real bad experiment when you try to combine "Da Vinci Code" and "the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo". Too many characters, too many ridiculous side plots, (was the Sophia and Pietro deal necessary??) And for how "smart" Sophia was, it certainly seemed it never showed up, oh and, I got sick of hearing about how pretty she was. Same deal with Ana- why on earth did she have to be described as "sooo smart" yet sound so ding batty, yet
Jill
This book was only okay. The build-up and the story was above decent, but the ending was just flat. And correct me if I'm wrong, cutting a tongue out doesn't paralyze the vocal cords. They'd be primal and incomprehensible, but someone without a tongue can still make sounds. They whole "dying without making a sound" thing made me angry, especially when the victim was burning alive, which is the most painful thing that can happen to a human.

If you're really into "The Da Vinci Code" thing, then
Leah Pedder
This is a quick book. It isn't great, it isn't bad, it is fine. Overall, the plot is similar to a Dan Brown novel: There are some unusual crimes and they are connected to an ancient holy relic. The parts that I liked most about this book were the flashbacks to a different era. I would have been much happier with a fictionalized tale of the shroud rather than the modern day account that was this book.
Randi
Jan 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of repetitive. The beginning got going pretty well and was compelling, about 1/2 way through the middle section I started getting antsy for the end. I flew through a few chapters hoping for the action to pick up and resolution to come. The ending was moderately satisfying but a bit of a let down after so many pages building to the climax. Read it on an airplane or when you don't have anything else to read.
Linh
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud was a cross between The People of the Book, the fill-in-the-blank-of-the-missing-years historical fiction, and The Da Vinci Code, the secret society thriller. I thoroughly enjoyed following the main characters through all the twists and turns it took to discover the fabricated, part fiction, part true story of what happened to Jesus's death cloth.
Fabian Davy
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that I found hard in deciding 'how' I would rate it. I would have thought, far into the book (as far as 90% into the story) that a definite Four Stars is adequately rewarded. Then, a few pages from the last page - I backtracked and thought again: with an ending that is intriguing, Three Stars is all that it deserved. THEN, AGAIN... a few 3-5 pages from the final page, I was adamant that a fulfilling FOUR STARS is what this book deserved.

As to why, I will explain later in my
Grzegorz
Jan 21, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's clearly not enough to throw Templar order and christian relic into modern world setting to create a bestselling thriller. Unfortunately it seems that this was the recipe used by Julia Navarro when writing this book. She wanted to mimic Dan Brown's ideas but completely misunderstood what made his books successful. "The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud" is simply boring, lacks memorable characters who do not undergo any change. Action builds up slowly to a turning point where the biggest plot ...more
Susie
This is a book I picked up second hand on the off chance that it might be interesting. Well, yes and no. Without being Christian myself, or really religious in any way, I still have a fascination for the stories and whether there is a real truth behind them. Even some of the old myths have been proven to have real stories behind them (and I am pretty sure that dragons really did exist, in some form or another; “real” unicorn remains have been discovered, although nothing like what the many ...more
The Book Worm
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud is a mix between an historical novel and a The-Da Vinci-Code type of book. The plot alternates between past and present. In the present, a fire in the Turin cathedral that almost destroys the Holy Shroud triggers a police investigation that, while looking for a connection with similar past incidents, unveils a sinister plan for dominance of the holy relic.

The present day plot will only make sense, though, if you follow the past plot that accompanies the
Alethea
Feb 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
COULD NOT FINISH.

Best (???) Parts:
Having my interest in looking over the Shroud of Turin revived. I had forgotten what an interesting object of faith it is and how it has continued to defy scientific explanation.

Worst (aka ALL) Parts:
TERRIBLY WRITTEN. The original novel was written in Spanish, but I doubt the act of translating could have caused such a loss in storytelling. The characters were stilted and uninteresting, and despite reading half the book, I still could have cared less about
Kristi
Nov 24, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: waste-of-time
Dialogues were not natural, at least among Italian characters. The plot is so absurd that it could be a good starting point for some trash B series movie. The only reason I finished this one is because of my OCD that makes me finish everything I start ... for the next year challenge I must find a way to give up on books that are not worth of my reading time.
Clemens R.
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Entertaining and easy book to read, but the story and characters could be developed a little bit more. I was also a bit disappointed to see that the ending was rather quick and sharp, especially after so many pages were dedicated to building up the main story.
Doug Morris
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was book was good, or at least better than I expected. There were several nights where I was going to, "read just one more chapter" and ended up staying up until 0200! It definitely held my attention.
Lunga Dlamini
It was good enough but it left me wanting, like there was something missing. Ana was quite an interesting character though... Too bad after all that work she never got to tell her story. The ending wasn't mind blowing...
Anna Pfeil
If you liked the Dan Brown books on the Holy Grail, You may like this book. I read it as a book of fiction. There is plenty of conspiracy theory to go around in this book. The last chapter was the best chapter as I knew it was over. I would not recommend this book.
Pau Cevasco
I was considering eating this with 4, but I didn't quite like the ending. It's interesting, a page-turner at times, mildly entertaining at other. Juliana Navarro is no Dan Brown (since they wrote similar fiction) but I'd say she's a worthy contestant. ...more
Wayne Conrad
A lot of back story resolved quickly at the end. Still a pretty good read just didn't feel it had much direction.
Diane Moses
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Good story; too many characters for me to keep up with.
Lesa Loves Books
Meh. Slow-paced, silly and much ado about nothing.
Alan
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. The very novel take on the Shroud of Turin and its origins are innovative. Didn't really like the ending, but not really any other way to end the story.
Al
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable historical novel about the Holy Shroud of Turin and its connection to the Knights Templars and other groups through the centuries.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Last Cato (Catón, #1)
  • El salón de ámbar
  • Iacobus
  • Todo bajo el cielo
  • Territorio comanche
  • Shalom Sefarad (Novela Historica)
  • Las hijas del capitán
  • God's Spy (Father Anthony Fowler, #1)
  • El silencio de la ciudad blanca (La trilogía de La ciudad blanca, #1)
  • El origen perdido
  • The Secret Supper
  • El alquimista impaciente (Bevilacqua y Chamorro, #2)
  • El pintor de almas
  • Los ritos del agua (La trilogía de La ciudad blanca, #2)
  • La voz dormida
  • Hijo del pasado
  • La tabla esmeralda
  • Los pilares de la tierra I (Parte 1 de 3)
Julia Navarro (Madrid, 1953) lleva más de treinta años dedicada al periodismo trabajando en los principales medios de comunicación de este país, tanto en prensa escrita como en radio y televisión.

Después de publicar varios libros de actualidad política como Nosotros, la transición; Entre Felipe y Aznar; La izquierda que viene, y Señora presidenta, se atrevió con la novela y consiguió un éxito sin
“Bajó los escalones sin mirar atrás, sintiendo la mirada de D’Alaqua, sabiendo que nadie tiene poder sobre el pasado, que éste no se puede cambiar y que el presente es un reflejo de lo que fuimos, sólo eso, y que sólo hay futuro si no se da ni un solo paso atrás.” 0 likes